• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent Fried Egg graphs and padding?

Damage

Super Member
Advent Fried Egg graphs and padding? xover mods?

I was wondering if anyone has graphs of the Advent Fried Egg tweeter. Seems to me that on my Powered Advents that the midrange could use a little taming. I would like to know how I might accomplish this and what would be needed? I would like to keep the highs the way they are.

The speaker has a way to boost frequencies above 3kHz.

TIA
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Not much out there. Maybe this will help: http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7771/adventvsan10yr5.gif

Looks to me like the tweeter is out of phase with the woofer at crossover. Don't know if this goes for the powered version, but it couldn't hurt to flip polarity on one of the drivers and give it a try.

There are good inexpensive mics and free/cheap measurement software available these days that can turn your PC into a powerful tool.
 
Last edited:
This is interesting -- from: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?act=idx


Guest_whboyd_*
Group:Guests
Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:02 AM
Hello - I've recently tested the amp sections of the Powered Advent from the 70's. The results may be of interest to some here:

The woofer section is flat up to the 12db/oct rolloff at about 4500hz. The lower end can be boosted up to 6db at 30hz if desired. You can also throw in a 6db/oct rumble filter below 20hz if desired.

The tweeter section rolls off below about 4500 too, first at 6db/oct, then going to 12 db/oct. below about 1500. I've not yet tested the Drivers to see what they are doing acoustically, but clearly the electrical crossover is much higher than the original Advent passive crossovers.

If the woofers have a gradually falling high end (not hard to imagine with that heavy cone & a ten inch diameter!), and if the tweeter response actually rises below 5000 down to it's resonance, then the actual "acoustic" crossover could be lower than 4500, maybe even match that of the original design - or the 1500hz published. If this proves the case it could explain why this design had apparently better "highs" than the passive models with the same drivers. The tweeters would have been basically flattened electronically and boosted in amplitude....and the bass improved in depth by the added boost on the low end.

I'll test the drivers soon with the original passive xover as well, and make the curves available on this site if anyone is interested.

I had double Advents in the 70s - I loved the smooth extended bass, wide soundstage and realistic string tone. I then used the woofers as subs for years after and am going to go back now & rebuild them as triple or quad-advent systems. The powered advents were amazing with their dynamics - the crossovers could be helpful to those of us wanting to duplicate or experiment with the designs nowadays.

Happy Holidays to all!
Bill
0
 
Yea I read that. I figure I will have to do some work from that point on. Since I've never done anything beyond basic crossover stuff, this will be all new to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom