• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent Heritage/Laureate Owners-is it the box?

Ishmael

Super Member
I am in the process of restoring a pair of Advent Laureate speakers which I hope will solve the problem of a small room 9'x9', our office. Reading about them I learned of their bigger brother the Advent Heritage, however while there is very little to be found on the web on the Laureate there is quite a bit more on the Heritage.

In researching the Laureate I came across specifications which provided in part:

Frequency Response: 42Hz to 23 kHz
Freq. Range: Low 34Hz-8dB, High: 23kHz-3dB

For the Heritage I found an actual Advent brochure wherein it listed specifications in part:

Frequency Response: 42Hz to 23 kHz
Freq. Range: Low 34Hz-8dB, High: 23kHz-3dB

Now this is where my head scratching began, as the Laureate makes do with a pair of 6.5" speakers for bass/mid-range, while the Heritage has a pair of 8" speakers for the same duties. How could their specifications be the same?

Are the posted specifications for the Laureate in error?
Does the volume of the sealed cabinet limit the frequency response and frequency range?
Has anyone heard the two speakers in comparison and what do your ears tell you?

Finally, if anyone has additional information on the Laureate it would be greatly appreciated as it has been hard to find on the web.

And yes, I am intrigued by the Heritage, you can see they had little details of additional quality built into them, fused tweeter (?), real binding post as opposed to the ubiquitous spring clips in the Laureate, and the pictures of the Heritage's 8' speakers appear to have substantial magnet motors (not that the Laureate's were lacking for their size).

Thanks for your thoughts.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have both types.

They "sound" the same but the Heritage has a "bigger" sound. Sort of like the sound of a motor scooter and a Harley Davidson (well not really but you get the picture),

Notice that the specs don't list efficiency. I think they are close on that area. So bigger drivers at same efficiency would indicate "more" sound.


But my crossovers are stock. I rarely recap speakers. Never really noticed much change doing that. Not that it doesn't work, just doesn't work for me.
 
I have both types.

They "sound" the same but the Heritage has a "bigger" sound. Sort of like the sound of a motor scooter and a Harley Davidson (well not really but you get the picture),

Notice that the specs don't list efficiency. I think they are close on that area. So bigger drivers at same efficiency would indicate "more" sound.


But my crossovers are stock. I rarely recap speakers. Never really noticed much change doing that. Not that it doesn't work, just doesn't work for me.


Not to go off topic, but you mention recapping. I think it depends on:

*Quality of caps
*How old they are
*Type/style of cap
*How hard they were pushed
*Environment/temp/humidity they lived in

I've had speakers that sounded great and didn't sound any different after new caps. But, I noticed a night and day difference with some old Altec Santana speakers after a recap.
 
Janikphoto that's been our experience too. On some of the speaker re-caps hardly any difference but then there are those re-caps such as our KEF Ref 104 which literally transformed them into some of the best speakers I've ever heard.

Thanks blhagstrom for sharing your experiences. sSo the frequency range should be about the same, but the dynamic ability to fill a room will be much better with the Heritage. Given our small office room I'm really looking forward to testing the Laureates once they have been re-foamed.
 
I can understand in the Santana.
Mine are a simple first order crossover (yours too?).
That one cap would influence a lot.

I just wanted to point out the condition on my Advents for reference point.
 
Well the foam surrounds have arrived so will start gluing up four speakers, should be a day or so allowing for things to dry and cure and then we'll see how they sound.
 
I have both types.

They "sound" the same but the Heritage has a "bigger" sound. Sort of like the sound of a motor scooter and a Harley Davidson (well not really but you get the picture),

Notice that the specs don't list efficiency. I think they are close on that area. So bigger drivers at same efficiency would indicate "more" sound.


But my crossovers are stock. I rarely recap speakers. Never really noticed much change doing that. Not that it doesn't work, just doesn't work for me.


I remember all of the Larger sized Advents of that era having a fairly similar sound for sure, even relatively similar deep bass, but as you say "Bigness" of sound, was a bit more with the larger ones.
 
Back
Top Bottom