• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent Heritage Speakers for $75??

ryuker16

Active Member
Someone about an hour away has some Advent heritages for $75 they want to get rid of...hilariously; they think they're from the 70s :no:

Only downside is a small crack in one of the cones(pic below)....any guess what year this model is?

Worth the $75 and a foam repair? I think I can probaly negociate him down a bit further(being "70s" speakers and all)

EDIT: I see a guy trying to sell Technics pro SB-7000A for $50 near by....worth it?
 

Attachments

  • 3Ga3Md3m85L15J45Mfcbf0d7ce274edda1416.jpg
    3Ga3Md3m85L15J45Mfcbf0d7ce274edda1416.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 3Ea3F83Ne5I55G55Mbcbffb615beefba512e7.jpg
    3Ea3F83Ne5I55G55Mbcbffb615beefba512e7.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 115
  • 3Ef3If3Hf5N95Ed5K3cbfb1de71ce05cb1ca5.jpg
    3Ef3If3Hf5N95Ed5K3cbfb1de71ce05cb1ca5.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
No love for advents here? I talked to the guy and he seems knowledgeable about audio so no surprises. Does it need an immediate re foam with such a small crack?
 
No love for advents here? I talked to the guy and he seems knowledgeable about audio so no surprises. Does it need an immediate re foam with such a small crack?

I had a pair of these for a while, I'd pay that if I were in the market for speakers, for sure. They are nice looking speakers, and sound pretty good, too.

Regarding the refoam, yes, it needs immediate attention, as it will rapidly deteriorate from it's current state. I refoamed the pair I had, was no big deal.
 
I had a pair of these for a while, I'd pay that if I were in the market for speakers, for sure. They are nice looking speakers, and sound pretty good, too.

Regarding the refoam, yes, it needs immediate attention, as it will rapidly deteriorate from it's current state. I refoamed the pair I had, was no big deal.

Any suggestions on which foam to buy off ebay or some other site?

I see a pretty wide variation in price points.

If the bottom woifers need a refoam, is it safe to assume all four woofers need a good refoam?
 
Yeah, all 4 probably need a refoam. Looneytune2001 on ebay is a good source, if he doesn't have the correct surround in one of his listings, shoot him a message.
 
Yeah, all 4 probably need a refoam. Looneytune2001 on ebay is a good source, if he doesn't have the correct surround in one of his listings, shoot him a message.

Thanks! :banana:

This site is awesome. He has some heritage ones for a good price.

Any Adevnt Heritage upgrades or other stuff I should look into? I'm killing time while searching for a job so I got time to spend working on stuff.
 
Last edited:
As long as you have them apart, you might consider replacing the crossover capacitors with Dayton polys. Not too expensive, and often highly worth doing.
 
I got them....great condition but the foam is pretty much on it's last legs.

The wood is awesome(and HARD); added some old English and they're like new!
 
I got them....great condition but the foam is pretty much on it's last legs.

The wood is awesome(and HARD); added some old English and they're like new!

I believe it's pecan wood. I have a pair of Advent Legacy's in my theater set up and I think they're excellent sounding.
 
The foam is available online, do you know how to refoam them?

If you don't I can do it for you.

Thanks!!

I bought a repair kit on ebay; it seems to be a easy job but if I need help I'll let you know.

If I replace the crossover I might need that help.

Even with the crumbled foam, these speakers are amazing!!! I don't normally listen to jazz, but trumpets sound amazing!! Bass is pretty powerful...very fun.

Can't wait to hear them after re-foaming.

I'm surprised advent heritage towers don't get more love....I've yet to find a professional review on the internet.
 
Last edited:
Turns out he only had 1 technics; not the pair....wanted the full price for 1!!!

God knows how hard I'd have to look to find another 1 to match it.
 
what did you use as a resource for refoaming? I volunteered to refoam my Dad's Advents but I really have no experience and his woofers are toooottttallly shot. All the foam has rotted away.
 
I went to the seller looneytunes on ebay. About $30

Be aware that the foam doesn't fit like the original(it's not a 100% match)....my job was kinda messy but it worked. the new ones will fit flat not curved in....you'll figure it out when you see it.

I just used youtube videos for resources. Put something heavy to hold the glue(I used 20 coins around the edge) while it melts and you don't need to remove the padding between the wood case and steal cone like one guide suggested(don't really need it either though).

Strange....I ran across a pair of those technics again! Those SB technics sure get around.


Btw, the edge of the cone doesn't need to be scraped like crazy to get all the glue off.....eventually you'll hit this black rubber edge...you can't scrape to the metal bottom like commonly suggested in many vids for other speakers.
 
I'm surprised advent heritage towers don't get more love....I've yet to find a professional review on the internet.

I don't think they show up much.

They were the TOTL, the Laureates were the little sisters, they don't show up much either. I :dunno: bad years for gear?

I lucked into a set of Heritage years ago. It was love at first fire. I scored another set a little while ago. The bass is the part that does it for me.
 
I don't think they show up much.

They were the TOTL, the Laureates were the little sisters, they don't show up much either. I :dunno: bad years for gear?

I lucked into a set of Heritage years ago. It was love at first fire. I scored another set a little while ago. The bass is the part that does it for me.

apparently there is a separate Advent heritage "modern" made by Heco(german company) for home theaters. On AVS forum there is a thread dedicated to them...I'm guessing they're so-so which confuses people.

I'm going to be refoaming my advent minis and laurates soon. :banana:
 
Back
Top Bottom