• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent Large Recap

The changes with the switch settings are very subtle so yes, it does depend on your hearing acuity in the very upper regions to really hear a difference. It only involves a few dB.
 
The difference between the crossover that sounds bright and the other three is quite and very marked, if we were to measure it by percentage the latter are heard 30% with respect to the bright crossover.

I should note that the bright crossover is also planted in one position - I suppose extended - because in the other 2 switch positions the sound is the same.

I like the sound of the brighter crossover but I will do the upgrade in another speaker following your advice, leaving the switch connected even if it is not working in any of the 4 speakers and I will tell you the results. Thanks to Doug, Thanks to Oerets.
 
Hello, I recently recapped 2 sets of utility original large advents.

Set #1 originaly had two 16mf caps and iron bar inductors.
Set #1 needed a lot of work, I needed to replace the iron bar inductors with air coil inductors from parts express and one of the switches on the back did not work and needed to be replaced. This set ended up with new switches, new caps, new air coil inductors, new resistor and kept the original woofer inductor.
.
Set 1 with rebuilt crossovers
image0.jpeg new rebuilt crossover with new, air coils, resistor, solen caps, switches.
image4.jpeg disassembled faulty switch. 100861865_1660788494075014_8363701991456636928_n.jpg image2.jpeg Temple caps and iron bar inductors replaced.


Set 2 had two 16mf temple caps and red/yellow button inductors.
caps were replaced with 16mf solen caps and a new resistor, I kept the red/yellow button inductors.
IMG_E5901.JPG original crossover 16mf temple caps and red/yellow button inductors.
original crossover 16mf temple caps and iron bar inductors.

The only difference I note is that the set with the red/yellow button inductors, I think sound better, I would say they have more forward presence in the midrange or maybe better imaging.
The Red/yellow button inductors have a higher DSR than the air coils I used in the set #1.
A lot of my research on Audio Karma led to the choices of Air coils,
The only other difference I can see is the dust caps on one set woofers are larger than the other.

Guess my questions would be, would an increase in DSR in the coils in set #1 improve the sound? If so would how would I add a resistor to achieve more DSR?
This was my first venture into rebuilding crossovers and both sets sound great, so I am pretty happy, just interested in why there is a suttle difference. with the old red/yellow button inductors.
Audio Karma was of great help in this project, so am very gratefull for all those who help in the various threads. I owned a set of Advents back in the 70's and was impressed with them at the time, which led me to my interest in these speakers now. Am in the process of rebuilding 2 more sets of OLA's in Walnut cabinets with the beveled front edge.
 
Hello, I recently recapped 2 sets of utility original large advents.

Set #1 originaly had two 16mf caps and iron bar inductors.
Set #1 needed a lot of work, I needed to replace the iron bar inductors with air coil inductors from parts express and one of the switches on the back did not work and needed to be replaced. This set ended up with new switches, new caps, new air coil inductors, new resistor and kept the original woofer inductor.
.
Set 1 with rebuilt crossovers
View attachment 3381446 new rebuilt crossover with new, air coils, resistor, solen caps, switches.
View attachment 3381457 disassembled faulty switch. View attachment 3381507 View attachment 3381526 Temple caps and iron bar inductors replaced.


Set 2 had two 16mf temple caps and red/yellow button inductors.
caps were replaced with 16mf solen caps and a new resistor, I kept the red/yellow button inductors.
View attachment 3381475 original crossover 16mf temple caps and red/yellow button inductors.
original crossover 16mf temple caps and iron bar inductors.

The only difference I note is that the set with the red/yellow button inductors, I think sound better, I would say they have more forward presence in the midrange or maybe better imaging.
The Red/yellow button inductors have a higher DSR than the air coils I used in the set #1.
A lot of my research on Audio Karma led to the choices of Air coils,
The only other difference I can see is the dust caps on one set woofers are larger than the other.

Guess my questions would be, would an increase in DSR in the coils in set #1 improve the sound? If so would how would I add a resistor to achieve more DSR?
This was my first venture into rebuilding crossovers and both sets sound great, so I am pretty happy, just interested in why there is a suttle difference. with the old red/yellow button inductors.
Audio Karma was of great help in this project, so am very gratefull for all those who help in the various threads. I owned a set of Advents back in the 70's and was impressed with them at the time, which led me to my interest in these speakers now. Am in the process of rebuilding 2 more sets of OLA's in Walnut cabinets with the beveled front edge.

My intention was always to change the iron bar inductors for air coil inductors, but since there are 4 speakers, it was out of my budget. However, I will try to make this upgrade as soon as possible.

Before thinking about changing the switches, I thought about suspending them as is in this project, but there is always the option of keeping them as long as it is possible to find the appropriate replacement. Where did you find the replacement switch, Mickey?

https://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advent-large.htm

Nuevo Crossover OMITIENDO interruptor.jpg

Analyzing the possible causes of the switch not having any effect, it is very possible that the fault is precisely there and it is worth performing at least some maintenance or cleaning of them.

I still haven't found the step-by-step procedure to suspend the switch and perform a sound test between a speaker with a switch and one without. At first glance it would seem simple, but in my case it is important to obtain the most detailed information possible.

Thank you, Mickey, for your detailed information and congratulations on the results of your upgrade...we are still waiting.
 
My intention was always to change the iron bar inductors for air coil inductors, but since there are 4 speakers, it was out of my budget. However, I will try to make this upgrade as soon as possible.

Before thinking about changing the switches, I thought about suspending them as is in this project, but there is always the option of keeping them as long as it is possible to find the appropriate replacement. Where did you find the replacement switch, Mickey?

https://www.humanspeakers.com/o/advent-large.htm

View attachment 3384017

Analyzing the possible causes of the switch not having any effect, it is very possible that the fault is precisely there and it is worth performing at least some maintenance or cleaning of them.

I still haven't found the step-by-step procedure to suspend the switch and perform a sound test between a speaker with a switch and one without. At first glance it would seem simple, but in my case it is important to obtain the most detailed information possible.

Thank you, Mickey, for your detailed information and congratulations on the results of your upgrade...we are still waiting.
the new switches were from parts express, dpdt
 
Due to my location it is very difficult to obtain spare parts from Parts Express. The safest thing to do is to try to service the switches. Thanks.
 
Back
Top Bottom