• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advent repair

rmbelson

New Member
I have a pair of The New Advent Loudspeakers which I probably bought in the 1970s. I refoamed them once about 15 years ago. One has gone out, and I suspect the problem is that the nut in the back that holds the speaker wire connection has gone loose. The little sharp pointed holder for the nut seems flat, and the nut just spins. Can I repair this? The backs of these are not removable. The cup that holds the connections in place is molded out of mdf and glued into the back firmly; o it's not a plastic one like contemporary speakers use. I'm using these in my office connected to an old receiver and to my PC. So perfect fidelity is not my goal. I know I could buy a decent sounding pair of computer speakers for $100 or so, but I hate to do that for a tiny piece of defective hardware if I can fix this. Many thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
remove a woofer, and do the work inside, note the wiring and take pics if necessary before disconnecting anything.

The speaker studs have a nut and washer inside, and the sometimes can loosen.
 
Thanks Jim. So I might just need to tighten not replace? Would be fantastic to get my sound back. These were my second pair of speakers I ever bought. Wish I had my original Dynaco A-25s, sigh. Now in my main system I have a pair of small Spendor A-20s and a homemade Sub. Lots more detail than my old Advents, but I love the old beasts just the same.
 
I have you covered!
I use Advent 5012/W bullnose as my mains, and a set of A25's depending on what I hook up. The A25's will stay with me forever!!
IMG_20201211_114656_960x1280(1).jpg
 
Funny how we have the same tastes. I bought an Advent cassette deck, too, when they came out. Being from Boston, I was always a big Advent guy. By quirk of fate, Tom DeVesto, Henry Kloss's partner in Cambridge Soundworks, and Tivoli, bought my childhood home when my parents moved to a condo.

I have the same Advents, I think. Mine don't have a model number, though. Just 'The Advent Loudspeaker' on the back. But with the bevel and gray/brown cloth as in your pic. I opened up the offending speaker, but on mine, there's no access from inside to outside. The wires go through tiny holes in a solid mass of mdf, everything glued and nailed, no obvious way to remove the inside back. My engineer son-in-law suggests I solder the speaker wire to the post.
 
I opened up the offending speaker, but on mine, there's no access from inside to outside. The wires go through tiny holes in a solid mass of mdf, everything glued and nailed, no obvious way to remove the inside back. My engineer son-in-law suggests I solder the speaker wire to the post.

I assume by opening up the offending speaker, you mean you removed the woofer? Make sure when reinstalling it, that you have a sealed cabinet once again.
Once you have the woofer removed, turn the cabinet over on its face and tap on the recessed binding post plate with a hammer or butt end of a screwdriver and it should pop off. They are usually just glued on and by now should be brittle enough to be removed easily. Reinstall with hot glue afterward.
 
Back
Top Bottom