• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice needed, or opinions...

WhiteSE

Is Lute Gluten Free??
Subscriber
Ok, I have my lone MC250...My options are the following to upgrade:

1. Another MC250 to mono into 100 watts/ch. (least expensive option), which would allow me to buy that Lazarus and experiment, and maybe collect some different pieces.

2. One MC2100 at 105 watts per channel. I can sell the MC250 then, and also get the Lazarus...same scenario as above, or get 2 MC2100's and bridge...should it sound the same as an MC2205???

3. One MC2205, which is goobles of power and blue lights, and allows more speaker options in the future...

4. Keep my MC250 and experiment with something like the MC752 amp...and kinda McCollect.

5. I feel like a noodle-head.
 
Register to hide this ad
Why not just buy a MC2105? If it's working right it should be putting out a little more than 135wpc which should be enough for most any speaker setup. And it has your big blue meters too.
Maybe I should sell you my MC2125. :scratch2:

Carl
 
Do you really need a 2205 to drive those JBL's ?

The 2105 would do that duty no prob and keep the extra bucks in your pocket.

grumpy
 
Arghh. My wife needs to learn to sign out before handing the puter back to me :mad:
 
You are probably right regarding the 2105...But I am a bit edgy when I know the bigger brother is around the corner, not costing that much more...well, 300 bucks maybe...and the meters are bigger...:D
 
300.00 more aint bad. Either thats a hell of a deal on the 2205 or the 2105 is big bucks. Should be closer to 500.00 diff between the two.

Grumpy
 
In honesty, I am having a hard time reconciling my desire to collect some Mc pieces and improve the sound of the system.

Collectors mind Vs. whatever makes the system sound better kinda battle.
 
There is a 2205 in audiogon for 1300 , and one for 1000,,,,teh 2105 I see in audiogon is 650...

Now, I wonder about the SQ between the 50 watt class A Lazarus and the MC2105, or Mc2200 for example (Cheaper w/o meters),,
 
I was in a similar quandry. I opted for sound and looked for the lowest distortion I could find for the dollars I had budgeted. I wanted some power. I could have done nicely at 75-150 watts, but I got a bit more. ;) Collecting can come at a leasurely pace when the urge strikes me.
 
Now I see what you guys mean...all amps that started coming out in the 80's have distortions levels from 0.1 and below...

Do you think that from 0.25 which most previous models had to 0.1 is audible? then the amps seem to have gone to 0.025 and below...
 
There are some people that can. Here is what Gprdon Gow said regarding distortion. The entire article is at http://www.roger-russell.com/mcgg1.htm

"In the systems you're going to hear, at 100 decibels sound pressure level, which is the loudness of a 100 piece orchestra at approximately fifteen feet in front of it, the measured intermodulation distortion is less than 3/10ths of a percent. We don't actually know if it has to be that low. We don't also know if it should be still lower than this. There are some special cases where people have been able to hear intermodulation distortion in music all the way down to small fractions of a 1/100th of a percent.

One such case that comes to mind several years ago there was a man in Milwaukee whose name was Ewing Nunn, who incidentally was I believe the son of the founder of Nunn-Busch Shoes. Ewing had a hobby of putting out records under the label Audiophile. These were monaural (monophonic) records on a red vinyl disc run at 78 rpm. This guy was a real fussy guy. The first 60 watt amplifiers we put out had measured intermodulation distortion and measured harmonic distortion on the order of only 3/10ths of a percent but he was positive he could hear something that didn't sound right. We took the things back and analyzed them further and found that the power supply frequency of 120 cycles was intermodulating with the signal to a level of approximately 1/10th of a percent. He could hear that and he could hear it until we improved the system to where that was down to a fraction of 1/100th of a percent."

Obviously driving distortion down is a good thing given the levels they are at today. I can certainly hear the difference between a Carever at .5 and a Mc at .02. I went with the lowest distortion I could afford. It makes things sound so much smoother. Besides the Mc Amps are impressive looking.


r
 
Well, My MC250 just sold on Ebay, as well as an expensive LP for 200 bucks, so I sent an email offering 900 bucks for this amp:

1078153770.jpg
 
Boy, that would be a sweet deal if the rest is as nice as the front!
Good Luck on it! Nice price on your MC250 amp!

Carl
 
Back
Top Bottom