• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice on CD players - Pioneer DV-79AVi / Sony BDP-S185 / Marantz CD 50

More photos of my CD-50 Marantz dated on tag on rear September 1986 anyone know what CD transport this is from my terrible photos. Sorry but this just ain't my bag posting photos
Mr. Bill
 

Attachments

  • 100_2104.JPG
    100_2104.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_2087.JPG
    100_2087.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 100_2089.JPG
    100_2089.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 5
What I have gathered from this and a few other threads is that as long as the rotation speed is fairly accurate and constant and the laser is somewhat viable the heavy lifting in the CD player is the DAC, and that can be over come by using the player as a transport and take the digital signal to your receiver (if equipped) and take advantage of your modern receiver's possibly better DAC.
Oh, and good luck with your chemo treatment Mr. Bill, looks like you're fighting the good fight.
 
So it is an MLP - 3CAA laser mechanism ? If so were they any good for their day ? And how do I realign / adjust it ? Would it be the same as a Phillips unit I can get a Service Manual for it ? Can't seem to find one from Marantz - It always leads back to the CD-50 that you have had. The newer one...How would I find a service manual for this older one ? Maybe I should just scrap it and call it a day !
Thanks Bill
 
Well looks like it was also used in Yamaha 500 CD players CLD-3C....I found some on line but too pricey for me around $100. If I can't make it work as is It will be scrapped
unless someone out there wants it to collect Marantz stuff for some reason. Is there anyone that can chime in on quality of the CLD-3C mechanism used on any other early CD Players ?
Mr. Bill
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom