• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice on custom speaker stands

benjamin

Active Member
I'm making some custom stands for my Pembroke's which have a footprint of about 11"X11". My question is how large would you make the top plate?

I was going to do a 10"X10", which is kinda large, not for the Pembroke's but do you think they'll be that too large for many speakers that would use stands?

The base plate will be 12"X12" with 4-2" square posts that will be filled with sand.

I've measured the distance from the floor to my ear in the listening position to get the height need (my wife has said, I've now crossed over the line to geekdom!). The stands will be 18" in total, or close to it, I still am not sure how I will put spikes on the stands.
 
Register to hide this ad
I plan to drill holes in the bottom plate so I can fill each of the 4 square tubes with sand. What is a resonable sized hole? What do you use to plug the hole?

They get welded tomorrow!

I went with:

12"X12" 1/4 plate for the base
9"X9" 1/4 plate for the speaker platform
2" square tubing with 1/8" wall for the posts.

I'm also looking for suggestions for spikes?
 
If I were you, I'd make them about 10 x 10. Just a bit smaller than the speaker. I made mine a bit bigger than my speakers but they are smaller. Plus I think it is better for it to be smaller since that results in a lesser chance of near-field reflecions coloring the sound.

Oh, BTW hi everyone. I'm a new member so don' feel the need to take me seriously:cool:

You can check out my site to see pics of my stands and other projects.My site
 
I had seen your flexy rack before and thought you did a great job. I really like the covered threaded rod. So, I guess it should come as no surpise that your stand are great too. Nice Job!
 
Here are some pics...they turned out pretty good I think for the first stab at it. I'll tell you what they're seriously heavy, I would guess over 25lbs a piece and they haven't been sand filled yet!

They go in for a nice powder coat next week.
 
Last edited:
My Passion Amp came with 4 of these spikes bluetacked to it so I took them off the amp and stuckem on one of the speaker stands...they look pretty good. Does anyone know where I could get 4 more in this colour and for ease of shipping in Canada? Maybe, Omer has 'em?
 
Looking good!

Regarding the sand. Get dry silica sandblasting sand. It comes dry. Have your machinist drill a 5/8" hole in through the bottom plate to each compartment and with the stand bottom side up use a funnel and fill each pipe with sand, bounce a few times to settle and add more. Then the holes can be plug welded shut.
 
If you don't want to take them back to the welder you can use JB Weld which is an epoxy with metal in it. You would probably have to go in stages if you do this as the hole might be too large for the viscous epoxy to fill at one time. It is also easier to drill through if you decide to empty them for a move. Cheaper than a welder too.
 
Great idea with the JB Weld! Devcon makes it as well. They should both be readily avaiable.

Greg
 
Thanks for the idea, I'll look around for JB Weld or the like. The welding didn't cost anything, my brother is a newly "christened" boilermaker and was able to weld these in the welding shop of their union hall.

He drilled a hole for the sand, but I'm not sure how big it is.

Hey Mike..basements aren't that bad!LOL If I would just put a little time into it I could finish it! Once I finish the stereo stand and the speaker stands I'll get started.

Scott
 
If you are going to use a glue fix then ordinary RTV silicone will work fine. Use a generous glob that gets inside the other side of the hole (use your finger to smoosh it around in there) and let it cure at least 24 hours before turning downwards. Careful not to touch the sand as it will stick in the RTV and make a mess.
 
Hi Rob,

Who sells that type of sand? I'm stopping by Rona on my way home tonight to see what they have to seal the holes.

I also need to pick up molding for my rack.
 
Scott,

Most builder supply places have sandblasting sand. I bought regular construction sand once and had to dry an entire bag of it in the wintertime. Probably cost me $30.00 in electricity, ruined a frying pan and made a burn blister on my kitchen countertop. WAY too much hassle! Sandblasting sand is supplied dry because it won't work if it isn't.

I see yor stereo setup is in the basement. If it is damp down there your rack will develop its own moulding given time. Could save you some work! ;)
 
if your hardware store doesn't have it...you could also try an automotive supply store. Look for a place that sells automotive paints...bondo and such. They'll have blastin' sand there too.
 
What about Princess Auto Rob? I found the one here in Brampton...kewl place!

I can't wait to get the stands powder coated! I found a guy who would do them for me in Mississauga and at an excellent price, I couldn't have bought the tremclad for any cheaper.
 
Originally posted by Rob
Scott,

I see yor stereo setup is in the basement. If it is damp down there your rack will develop its own moulding given time. Could save you some work! ;)

"Tru-dat" as my students would say. If I get my system lookin pretty enough, I've been given permission to bring it upstairs...but why would I want too?? My computer is down there and all the peace and quiet I want! Actually I just aquired a nice Apple G3 laptop so I'm now mobile!!
 
Originally posted by benjamin
What about Princess Auto Rob? I found the one here in Brampton...kewl place!

I can't wait to get the stands powder coated! I found a guy who would do them for me in Mississauga and at an excellent price, I couldn't have bought the tremclad for any cheaper.

Scott,

Princess Auto is one of my favorite tool and stuff stores for sure! I don't think they carry the blasting sand however.

Could you please PM me with the contact info for the powder coater you found? I might be able to use him.

Thanx.
 
Back
Top Bottom