• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice on set-up (denon amp, Celestion ditton, Dali Zensor 3)

NanaRepub808

New Member
Hello, I have a noob question regarding connecting 4 speakers. I’m worried about over-loading my limited 30w per
channel 1980’s denon amp

I have the following set up:

- Denon integrated amp PMA-250 II (30 watts per channel at 8 ohms)
- 2x Celestion Ditton 22 (4-8 ohm impedance)
- using a Nuo Ecler Mixer as a pre-amp going into the line inputs on the Denon.

I would like to add the following bookshelf speakers:

2x Dali Zensor 3 bookshelf speakers (6 ohms; max 125w power handling)

my questions are:
1) is there anyway of powering all 4 speakers (2x Celestion + 2x Dali Zensors) without overloading the denon amp?
2) should I consider adding a separate power amp to the mix? If so, any recommendations on specifications to provide adequate headroom? Note: Denon amp does not have line out, just phono and line inputs.
3) should I consider replacing the amp? Any recommendations?
4) should I even bother trying to connect both pairs of speakers, or just switch out the Celestion Dittons with the Dalis?

Any advice or recommendations would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Why do you want two pair of different speakers in the first place?

Hi,
thanks for your reply. That’s a fair question. Maybe it’s a fools errand, but I just figured 4 speakers are better than 2 speakers, even if they are different. Would that be a mistake?

I already had the Celestion Ditton 22’s and the Dali’s were recently gifted to me by a former flat-mate. I have a pair of turntables so figured I might be able to use a pair of passive speakers as sort of booth monitors. Would that require having a separate amp connecting to the XLR line-outs on the mixer/pre-amp?

Or should I just not bother trying to hook them all up and keep it simple with:
Turntable phono -> mixer/pre-amp line out -> Denon amp -> 2x Dali bookshelf speakers?
 
If you're looking for 2 channel stereo playback, then two speakers are all you need. I used to own a pair of the Dali's and they are a fantastic speaker. If you're after better sound, you should invest in a stereo preamp meant for home audio, and not a mixer.
 
What Craig said. I’ve never heard a Dali speaker that I didn’t like. It sounds like you have a Denon integrated amp because you mentioned inputs. If that’s the case then simply use that and whichever pair of those speakers that you prefer. Save the other pieces for something else or sell/give them away. More is not always better and can quite often worsen the overall system by adding unwanted devices into the signal path.
 
Back
Top Bottom