• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice on speaker building? I have two Altec 811 horns, what should I mate them with?

pete1729

Super Member
I have two Altec 811/806 horns. I'd like to mate them with some 15" drivers and drive them with my Mac 240.

While I would certainly like to clone some Model 19's, Altec bass drivers are a little pricey. I'd like to find an affordable and fairly efficient 15" bass driver and some already sorted cabinet and crossover plans.

I have two Utah 15's and could almost clone some Seeburg DSS1's, except that that would require two more Utah's. I have some T/S parameters for the Utah's but really need someone to run the numbers for me. I understand the basics, but I don't think I get how to run any of the programs for cabinet design. I end up with specs that seen to indicate cabinets the size of a refrigerator.

I have cabinet building skills and equipment. I'd prefer not to experiment, I would rather build something with a proven ported design.

Anybody got something up their sleeve?
 
Register to hide this ad
JBL 2226 they will work in a variety of tunings/alignments and play well up to the 1.2khz XO point you really need to use with that horn/driver combination in most of those alignments.

Plans for the 846U valencia cabinet are also available online and that should be able to tune well for a 2226.

Altec N1201/1209 network clones.
 
I'll be watching this thread! I have the same Altec and Utah drivers in some Seeburgs. They're in storage right now, one 806 needs a diaphragm.
 
I have been looking at this Altec / Jbl marriage also...4550 compression driver will work but may need to do a 3 way!...Dayton Audio Pm 180 or such in the middle:D
 
Back
Top Bottom