• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Advice sought - MC30 or MC275 ?

BobP

Member
I am an old AK member but new to the Mcintosh forum. I would be grateful for an informed opinion about the dilemma I am facing.

I have one MC30 in good condition and need another channel. The problem is I do not know what is the best thing to do. The usual buy all, compare and sell the rest does not apply here due to the grim economic outlook.


I am pondering the following options:


1. Buy another MC30, as close production run as possible
(an ardous task) or buy any MC30 in good shape if the differences between the runs are not audibly perceptible.

2. Sell MC30 I have and buy used MC275 Mk V.

3. Sell MC30 and buy original MC275


Ideally, I seek opinion of someone who lived with both MC30 pair and MC275 (original or MK V) and from someone who directly compared MC275 and MC275Mk V for a longer period of time.


I listen mostly to the vocal jazz and chamber baroque, with everything else thrown in occasionaly in between.
No requirement for high SPL due to missus' silk ears :-(

Any advice or direction will be much appreciated !

The preamp will be purchased in the next phase, most likely C220 or C2300 after serious consideration of price vs. performance.
 
Register to hide this ad
BobP.......Having owned both a pair of MC30's and a MC275 MkV, my vote is for the MC275 MkV. First, in todays world, with speaker efficiencies typically in the low 90 dB's or lower, the reserve wattage is essential in my book. Second, the new MC275 MkV has so many modern features designed into the topology, with the newest and most reliable components, it doesn't make good sense to embrace an amplifier that is 50+ years, and most certainly in need of component upgrades. The MC275 MkV is a gorgeous sounding amplifier, and will thrill you every time you turn it on, not to mention it will serve you well for many years absolutely trouble free.
 
As usual... I think that Dan said it best!!!

Go for the 275V and live happily ever after!

What speakers are you using?
 
Dan, thank you for the quick response. I belive I will follow your advice, I was sort of inclined towards it myself, but afraid to sell something I might regret afterwards.

Twodot, thanks for seconding Dan's advice. Right now, I have old Kef 103.2 in my B system so I can plan ahead speakers for 275. I've kept Kef 103.2 because I like their sound signature.

Thanks again, I got dillemma off my chest.
 
Back
Top Bottom