• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

After Infinity, then what?

What about apogee? I've never heard them but there was a pair of centaur majors available near me that I almost went to check out.

I imagine that they would have a comparable sound.
 
There was a time when I was hot after some Apogees, but the deeper I dug the more I realized most existing models need ribbons replaced or will need ribbons replaced sooner than later....it ain't cheap and it ain't easy. The few I found that had new ribbons were almost as expensive as they were when new. Next.
 
Well I have a lot of speaker systems here, and I've heard the Beta's, they have excellent bass, but the LEMIM's in 2 sets I listened to were very badly mismatched in sound, so not for me, also just my opinion, Infinity screwed up on the RS-1b's as well with the bass units and xo system of the emim's, So again in my opinion, that left the RS-4.5 to be the overall winner, excellent bass and best imaging speaker I have ever listened to. That said next best would be the Apogee Scintilla 1 ohm, best of the fullrange series I own. Acoustats would come in third place, but they need a BIG room to breathe in. just my thoughts :)
 
Kappa 9 in Piano Lacquer Black

Well, um...it looks like I might not be seeking non-Infinities anytime soon. I was poking around the neighborhood on CL and look what I found. Here are some pics. They are next to my Kappa 8's. So now I am looking for a good pair of amps to mono e mono these beasts.

<pics got deleted for some reason. Maybe the Forum upgrade left them behind somewhere?>
 
Last edited:
And I promise not to start a new "what amp for my Infinities thread". There are already lots of good threads & posts on this topic, especially for the K9's. :thmbsp:
 
While buying and searching for vintage Infinities I've always been intrigued by Genesis. Seemed like a logical progression as that's where Arnie went to for awhile. My ownership of Infinities have included: 4.5, 2.5, RS1(b's now), 9.1, 6.1 Kappa 5, Kappa 7.1, RS11b and a few other lower level Infinities. It always depended upon what type of room I was wanting sound in of whether I kept them or not.

I used a Paradigm center channel that actually went with the 2.5 and 9.1 fairly well. But, when I went up the Paradigm chain for their bigger speakers they were too forward. Maggies have come close but not quite everything I want. Was looking at some Dunlavy's but ended up getting a good deal on some heavily customized VMPS FF-1's. That woke me up to woofers on top and bottom. Just couldn't do the mids as well as Infinitys though. Saxaphones on Infinities are the ****. Others I have listened to or had - JBL, Polk (do like their midrange), PSB, Paradigm, Acoustat and Carver. Oh yeah, forgot about the Carvers. The Amazings are pretty damn good sounding, need good power though and the shape doesn't settle well with most people, But I highly recommend at least a listen to those.

Had a chance to get a pair of Genesis APM-1's. Auditioned them with Genesis 500's and the $60,000 McIntosh towers. But, when Joe Bonamassa hit his acoustic guitar after a heavy drum beat opening the APM's were everything I liked in the Infinity 4.5's and then some. Bass not as sharp but different. Anyway, I looked for a long time before I finally found some in my price range. So, I am now looking for a way to start climbing up the Genesis chain.

This has taken years so enjoy the journey - I did.
 
Well, um...it looks like I might not be seeking non-Infinities anytime soon. I was poking around the neighborhood on CL and look what I found. Here are some pics. They are next to my Kappa 8's. So now I am looking for a good pair of amps to mono e mono these beasts.

attachment.php


attachment.php
Believe me these did not go unnoticed. (as stated in another thread) Very cool in piano black. That must have cost a furtune when new. Maybe some rockstar ordered them that way. You are right, theres no way I would have not bought them either so close to home. Have fun!!
 
Post Infinity always led me to VMPS. Especially, the RM Series from Brian Cheney. The planar mids and ribbon tweeters, in the RM's were awesome. Fast, detailed, and dynamic. But, like our classic Infinity's, they're gone too, with the death of Brian.

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/index.htm

So, along with Infinity and VMPS, I started following Bohlender/BG Raida planar speakers. And like Infinity, and unlike Genesis, BG Radia had very nice speakers across a wide price point. Good top of the line designs too. But, now BG Radia is in limbo also. After the death of David Graebener, BG Radia was recently purchased, and their planar mids pulled from the DIY market. So, I don't know if BG Radia is still marketing their own past models or not? Or even how this buy-out affects Genesis Tech? Maybe they'll loose their source of mids, as a result of BG's disappearance?

But, I always look for classics Infinity's, VMPS speakers, and various BG models. As well as Carver and Apogee, and Acoustat. While none of these will last forever, neither will I. Though, I can have fun while it lasts!!! :D:thmbsp::D
 
As an upgrade for the smaller/lesser classic Infinities, besides the things already mentioned you could also try finding a pair of Sequerra Pyramid Signature series (complete pyramid speakers, not just Met/Met 7 stuff). Pretty rare and hard to find, but their ribbon speakers deliver the kind of sound that EMIT lovers can appreciate, even though they are monopoles.

Another possibility might be something like Rock Monitors from ESS. The Heil AMT drivers also deliver very clear sound. If you go that route, check out the threads on foam baffle mods here on AK, to make them even better.

As for looking for an upgrade from the really BIG vintage Infinities like the IRS Vs... are you kidding?! :lmao:
 
It is interesting going back and reading your old threads / posts and to realize how much things change. Since I started this thread six month ago I completely recapped both K9's with better caps. Mostly Mundorf Supremes in the mid-range for the Polydomes and Polygraph xovers. Replaced all lytic caps everywhere. Upgraded the Emit xovers. I left the SEMIT xover as is because they sounded good and all the caps were non-electrolytic. It took a good while for the new caps to "break in" and I was even a little disappointed at first. But not now that they have been playing for about four months the caps have broken in and they sound great. They get played a lot.

I am bi-amping the K9's mostly with vintage Yamaha amps (MX-1000U, M-85).

I also introduced a Modwright SWL 9.0SE tube preamp into the chain recently. That was a major improvement and was the first time I introduced tubes into my system and I can say with certainty that putting a tube preamp in front of a SS amp is a winning combo, at least with my equipment.

I just can't imagine getting better sounding speakers than the K9's for the price I paid. I know I could find better components.

So now after six month I would change the title of this thread to a challenge to try and find a better pair of speakers at their price range. (I paid $1k for the pair of K9's and spent at least half that much on xover upgrade caps.) Yes, I know a pair of $100,000 Genesis speakers HAVE to sound better. But seriously within a cost factor of say two, three or even four times as much, what speakers can do what I am hearing these K9's do?

I know there were a number of recommendations to move up the Infinity line but researching the models at least in the IRS line I see that the best of those speakers (Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon) all have the L-EMIM's which are unobtainium and sell for BIG BUCKS used. The RS1B gets rave reviews and does not have the L-EMIM's but they are dual tower and too damn imposing.
 
Last edited:
I still have a collection of Infinity from Infinitesimal 0.2 through to RS 4.5 that I rotate through and listen to from time to time
however these days I am mostly using Duntech PCL-1100s - they are a little imposing with only 8" ceilings
Moving them all around is a bit of a hassle, so I'm investing in some more sets of casters for the larger ones.

It is fair to say that I have lost the urge to collect more these days - just enjoying what I have
 
"After Infinity, then what?"

Definitely Genesis Advanced Technologies. I've heard the Genesis V's, and though the family resemblance is undeniable and they share a familiar sound and presentation, the Genesis speakers are definitely a significant evolutionary step up from the classic Infinity speakers we all know and love. Some of the 1990's and early 2000's models can be had for not too much money.
 
"After Infinity, then what?"

Definitely Genesis Advanced Technologies. I've heard the Genesis V's, and though the family resemblance is undeniable and they share a familiar sound and presentation, the Genesis speakers are definitely a significant evolutionary step up from the classic Infinity speakers we all know and love. Some of the 1990's and early 2000's models can be had for not too much money.

I see they have a wide price range in pre-owned models. Are the replacement components/drivers readily available?
 
I have been researching the Ohm Walsh F and with that Walsh aspect maybe they would be a nice way to go.
As stated above, the Emit really defines most of the Infinity sound so I think some of you may be correct in saying a ribbon based speaker might be the ticket. I have the Apogee Slant 6 and they are special. I just replaced the ribbons.

I think it is easy to determine another direction to go to compliment the Infinities. A warmer sound from the likes of Wharfedale or similar might be nice.
 
I would put ESS AMT speakers with the giant Heil Transformer on your list. While I like the infinities I've tried, the ESS were amazing!
 
Back
Top Bottom