• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Air Guns

Bigbore_pellets.jpg
 
And, this is very likely my next move in "air" guns,... the simple blow gun.
18-inch-predator-blowgun.jpg


When I was in college, we had a house that had a large living room that was at least 30' wide. On the far wall, we had a piece of plywood against the wall that was the back stop for our blow gun shooting.
On the piece of plywood, we had a pair of screws in the wood that would hold a beer bottle cap against the plywood. We'd crack a beer, place the target, and take to shooting.
We used a piece of electricians 1/2" steel conduit as our blow pipe, framing nails, and 3x5 cards. We'd wrap the framing nail in a cone spun from the 3x5 index card, and taped it to the nail. We'd cut the cone at the same diameter as the pipe. We'd take aim at the bottle cap, and, easily whack it with the dart.
image-17.png

Now days, you can buy bags of plastic cones, and steel darts.
Yep, I can see this as a new direction for this spring, when the squirrels have babies and send them out looking for their own home turf.

Oh yeah,.... you can take an air compressor, and one of those blow off air spraying tools/adaptors, and, you can make the blow gun go hyper-sonic with the compressed air. When we did this, we'd blow through the plywood pretty quick.
 
Last edited:
Over a blowgun, or, the air bolts?
if its over the blow gun,... that is some extremely accurate popping fun right there. A beer cap at 30' is a tiny target.
 
Blowguns are amazingly accurate.
They now have a wide assortment of types of darts. They have the typical sharp pointed end, but, they also have stun darts.
The plastic cone/steel darts are cheap. The stun darts are a bit more spendy.

blowgun-stun-dart.jpg
21rU3whXPkL.jpg

Kill darts:
blowguns-100-stinger-darts-for-blowguns-40-caliber-1_2048x2048.jpg



And with this 3D modeling thing, they now have "peep" sights for the tubes:
s-l1000.jpg
 
Last edited:
I had one way back when. It was a bamboo tube with darts made from slivers of bamboo with some kind of plant matter (think cattail fuzz maybe). The bamboo tube was consistent but you had to make sure you had it "clocked" right in your mouth when you blew!
 
BTW, I'm set in my "blind" right now on my patio. Another squirrel has entered the kill zone and Baby Girl has him up the pin oak.
2 in 2 days!
Looks like a busy Fall this year!
Well, we finally got the little bastard! As the afternoon wore on I could scan up in the pin oak with my binoculars and see glimpses of him slithering around on the limbs and when he moved he moved fast hugging the tree limbs like a snake. Once he got on the far side of the trunk and started 'barking' at BG aka 'Jaws of Death.' She sat not moving a muscle nor taking her eyes off him. I couldn't get near that action cause it would drive him back up so I had to wait. Towards the start of evening I knew he'd get braver wanting down to get back to his home base. I call it a him cause the male squirrels are the only ones that will bark at Baby Girl. Must be the testosterone.
The air had kind of cooled down so I moved back to the patio and sat behind my blind and BG took up her usual place that pushes them to my side of the tree trunk. Sure enough down he came poking his head out checking to see where she was but it says to me, "shoot me HERE!"
Head shot and he dropped like a hammer!
That's 2 in 2 days. Baby Girl thinksIMG_3812.jpg FullSizeRender(55).jpg she needs one a day now....
 
I've put the herd down for a while (in fly fishing parlance; meaning, you've spooked the school of fish). I'm going to need to rest them for a while. They're probably going to get the weekend off, unless one strays into the patio area.

Thats a great smile!
I'd fear for her with what we also have in abundance here, rattlesnakes. Everyone around here has had snake training done with their dogs. I've caught and released 9 in the yard in our time here (released into a wildlife reserve, down canyon).
I've read where ground squirrels and rattlesnakes have coexisted together for so long, that the squirrels are immune to the poison? There are youtube vids that show conflicts between them, and the squirrels go in headlong, without seeming to be phased.
 
Still can't bring myself to shoot the designer tree rats that run free here, but infestation and destruction of vehicles and other stuff I don't need gnawed on could change that.
 
Tecumseh Resident Remains Critical After Four Snake Bites (a bad day alert)
KOTV Website ^ | 7/15/2005
Posted on 07/16/2005 4:14:52 AM PDT by Cowman
Tecumseh Resident Remains Critical After Four Snake Bites
OKLAHOMA CITY(AP) _ A Tecumseh man remains hospitalized in critical condition after being bitten four times by two different snakes.
James Cave's wife Gloria says Cave was working at a garage near his home Sunday when he felt a pain in his foot and reached down and was bitten in the hand and foot by a pygmy rattlesnake.
Gloria Cave says Cave then fell backward over a barrel and onto a copperhead that bit him in the foot and groin.
Cave's son and a neighbor drove him to a nearby hospital where he received antivenin and then was flown to an Oklahoma City hospital where he remains.
Neil Garrison with the Martin Park Nature Center in Oklahoma City says it's unusual for someone to run into two poisonous snakes at once. And he says snakes usually don't strike unless provoked, stepped on or humans just get too close.
Garrison says one tip is to never put your hands or feet into areas where you can't see.

Yes, this was a real thing! I know its not funny but LMAO!!
 
WOW! What a predicament.

Our second to last rattler came at my 40' left patio shot. This is where Sarge feeds her birds (the quail and others). She was out there putting some seed out, noticed a snake, and, she said that she got right in nose to nose with it, because she thought it was pretty. Then she came in and asked me to ID it for her, suggesting that she just about reached out to catch it. Ugh,... that be a rattler.

I'm figuring on there being a severe fire season this year. So, I've been in brush clearing mode. That means digging into the local native shrubs, which can be 20' tall, and 30' across, thinning them out. I have one particular run of the stuff that I was cutting back. In doing so, you're wading into that great unseen. And, making so much noise, I'd never know if there was one around; and I know they are there!
I owe rattlers a huge karmic debt from being an idiot kid. So, I'm always grateful in coming out of the brush unbitten.
 
Still can't bring myself to shoot the designer tree rats that run free here, but infestation and destruction of vehicles and other stuff I don't need gnawed on could change that.

We've had to have the wiring loom in Sarges car fixed twice now due to rodents. No mercy is shown.
 
And when tree squirrels get into your attic they can drive you crazy not to mention chew wiring insulation up there. Back in '08 I had a lot more trees around my house (before our 2010 tornado took a bunch out) and they were able to go from tree to tree to roof and chew thru the soffet vent screens and make themselves at home in my attic.
Every morning at daybreak it sounded like a herd of horses stampeding thru my attic.
Plus, I tend to trust my dog's instincts - if they don't like something, I don't either.
 
Back
Top Bottom