• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

aiwa 6900 mk 2

markdi

Natural born thread killer
I was given 2 aiwa 6900 mk2 cassette decks - in exelent cosmetic condition.

both have transport problems


I guess they are hard to fix - why ?

what is so special about these decks - no dolby c - dbx - etc


anyone own a working one ?
 
Register to hide this ad
They will need a lot of work. I have repaired many of those.

All new belts. All new idlers. A rubber idler pulley (many be impossible to find). Possibly a new pinch roller.
 
From what I've read about these on-line, they just weren't designed with servicing in mind. The belts require a lot of dis-assembly to replace.
 
From what I've read about these on-line, they just weren't designed with servicing in mind. The belts require a lot of dis-assembly to replace.

Actually, they a very service-friendly units. Just need a lot of parts and a lot of items will need attention.
 
From what I've read about these on-line, they just weren't designed with servicing in mind. The belts require a lot of dis-assembly to replace.

Well - seen from a tech point they aren't directly userfriendly, but hey, users was not supposed to carry out any maintenance :)

they where not that difficult to work on, compared to Hitachi D980, they are quite easy to change belts on.

I can't remember one signle deck build to be serviced by the end user, not one !

Sorry to have to say this, but if you think it's difficult, it may not be because of that :D
 
There is no list of parts to replace, you have to evaluate the different parts to see if they need replacement. Unfortunately most parts would be long gone, but belt kit's etc. are normally available from pattern part vendors.

Back then AD6800 was a phenomenal well sounding deck, and the later 6900 even better, i liked them !
 
so depending on what parts are needed they may not be fixable

seems like a pretty basic 3 head dolby b deck
 
so depending on what parts are needed they may not be fixable

That is true, but most parts that would need replacement due to normal wear, can often be found, sometimes you need a donor deck though.

seems like a pretty basic 3 head dolby b deck

Not quite - this is a better than usual 3header, it sounds better than a bacis 3head Denon DM-R44hx.

You have to dig into it, to determine the problems, before letting it go :)
(or find a repair shop)
 
so is there a service manual or a list of parts to replace ?

I already told you what needs to be replaced. See post #2. Almost every 6900 I see needs these.

-3 belts
-3 idler tires
-1 idler pulley (rubber)
- 1 pinch roller

-also, all pots and switches will need cleaning.

Service manual from Hifiengine.com It's free.

An easy job for a tech. May not be a DIY job, however. A lot of work and one needs to know various sources for the parts. They are all available or re-buildable. Once done, it's a nice deck.

-
 
Last edited:
For the record, I've never had or worked on an Aiwa, but the changing of belts on them was often mentioned to be difficult.
 
Back
Top Bottom