• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AIWA AP-D50 Tonearm not descending!

jikow

New Member
Got this fully automatic/cassette type oddball turntable at a garage sale...so didnt expect much. After a quick lookover relube and a change of Belts motor runs ok...and so does cassette tray. Strobe light is out (needs a new neon I believe)...but the main issue is the tonearm wont drop.

Must admit Ive had Linears for years now...so need some help with this machine if anyone could help thankyou!

Ive set up the tonearm/headshell so far by:

bringing the arm into the centre of the platter and holding dropping (manually) the arm/headshell and adjusting the counterweight until the arm is horizontally balanced.

Then with the arm back at rest with clip on - I adjusted the Counterweight's black scale (only the scale) to 0. Then turning the whole of the counterweight I adjusted for a tracking force of 2gr as per cart spec.

When I try to play in fully automatic mode the arm moves to start position you hear a click as if it will now start to descend but nothing happens!

If I switch to Manual mode I can get the arm to descend by flicking cueing switch to 'Down'. However the switch wont stay in down and and goes back up.

If I hold my finger on the switch in the 'Down' position...it will play a record and confirm sound output both channels.

Any thoughts and help most appreciated.!

Here is a Video of the same table for ref.

Cheers
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I fixed this - for anyone that has one of these in the future - check the Mechanical 3 position Up/Up Manual/Down switch...the switch is a plastic Cam type affair with a metal rod inserted as its pivot and locating point. The Cam/pivot has worn and has less friction to hold its position - the trick then is to apply a little more pressure on that point.
 
Back
Top Bottom