• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Aiwa M700B - Tape playing too slowly

BilboBaggins

Addicted Member
Last year, I found a very nice looking Aiwa M700B at the grand opening of a new thrift store. This is the first deck I actually wanted to get working, so I ordered a belt kit. Then, while I was waiting for the belt kit to arrive, I asked a local electronics company if he could take a look at it. After harassing him bi-weekly about 6 months later, I finally got it back. A full year later last week. He told me there was a problem with the clutch assembly and he couldn’t fix it.

This week, I decided I would see if I could fix it. I opened it up and discovered he had cleaned the gummy tar from the old belts and replaced the two smaller belts, but the main belt was missing. Out came my belt kit and I installed the new belt. All was good for the first tape, my test tape. So then I put on Led Zeppelin 1 and started playing it. Played the first side well, although playback speed was slow. Second side, it ate the tape. Put back the test tape, and I tried to eat it too! And the rewind and fast forward were really poor. Open it back up and studied the mechanism. Removed the clutch, and saw a black gummy thing at the end of the pulley coming off of the secondary motor. A blob of degraded rubber turned to gum. I removed the blob and cleaned the shaft of the pulley with alcohol. The clutch gets its power from the gummy blob. What to use to replace it? I remembered how I repaired the automatic functions on a dual 621 when the Steuer-Pimpel had had the same issue. I cut the dry end of a pen refill and that worked. So I thought, why not try the same thing here!

I did that, and without going into all the drama I went through trying to put that damn c clip back on the clutch assembly, and the drama when I lost it, and the drama from losing the replacement c clip from an NAD donor deck, it is back and working well.

Only two problems left.

1) the deck plays well, but when it reaches the end, it automatically rewinds and starts playing again.

2) second and biggest problem, the playback runs slow. I tried adjusting the playback speed on the main motor, but it won’t turn enough, and I don’t want to force it and damage the pot inside. I’ve looked at the schematic, and it’s appears there’s no coarse adjustment. The transistor is turned on directly from the control ic.

Any ideas on either or both of these problems?
 
Register to hide this ad
1. Probably a switch setting. I suggest you get an owner's manual and study it thoroughly.

2. Playback is slow with a new belt? That usually means the belt isn't the right one or it's been routed incorrectly. It could also mean voltage problems to motor, which would need a service manual to troubleshoot.
 
Thanks danj!

I hadn’t considered any switch settings for number 1. I will look into that. I don't have the service manual. I was hoping I missed something obvious for number 2, but that is not looking too good, so I guess I will have to dig in. The belt looks right, and I did consider that it might not be the right belt, but it is definitely routed correctly. Maybe something is holding it back. I might just have to relearn how to use my scope again. It has been over 20 years since I last used it.
 
Last edited:
I checked out the schematics, and the circuit board, and I’m not finding any switches for the automatic rewind.

And last night, just to see if it would help, I sprayed a little deoxit into the speed adjustment for the main motor and worked it around some. Tried it today, and it seems to be running at the right speed now! That was a major hurdle! Now back to number 1!
 
Without having the owners manual, I can’t tell if this feature is planned or not. My thought is it isn’t. I didn’t notice an optical sensor in the schematics, but I’ll check. Personally, I think it is getting contact at the tape control buttons which are interpreting it to do that at the control chip. I have more studying to do. However, I’m optimistic I can get this unit fully functional now. I’ve come a ways already! :music:
 
Final update: all is now good in tapelandia! :banana:

I was reading a thread last week by someone with a similar problem with a different type of tape deck. His issue was because the timer record was set to on. Looked at the m700, and sure enough, that was it. Problem hasn’t come back since! I listened to the deck quite a bit last week and I’m really enjoying it. I really like how it sounds, and I love the combination led/meter displays! This deck is going to fit well in the bedroom system!
 
Thanks for the offer, but I let this one go a couple of years ago. I'm trying to limit myself to 3 or 4 working decks at any one time, and I still have 10-12 of them, but not all working yet. In fact I just finished the belts on my Sansui SC-1330 and I'm closed testing it. So far so good!
 
Back
Top Bottom