• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Aja pressings

I have seven pressings of Aja:
Vinyl:
AB-1006
AA-1006
9022-1006 (Yellow)
9022-1006 (Red)
MFSL 1-033

CD:
MCAD 4-10981 (Citizen Box Set - Disc #3 and 4)
I can’t find the regular Aja CD at the moment. My apologies.

My list in order of sound and a VERY simplistic explanation of WHAT I HEAR (only one dude’s opinion, I have no intent on starting a heated debate):
1. AB-1006: Zero Complaints - if I’m in the mood for the occasional pops and cracks associated with a vinyl listening experience - even with this Mint pressing.
2. MCAD 4-10981: Flawless and perfect - if I’m in the mood to hear it with no “vinyl experience”.
3. AA-1006: Just not as clear and not enough sound separation as the AB pressing.
4. 9902-1006 (Red): I have no idea why I like this one more than the Yellow. I can’t define it. Maybe it’s just a mental thing.
5. 9902-1006 (Yellow): See Red.
6. The regular CD version.
7. MFSL 1-033: My least favorite. The highs are waaaay too bright. The “s” ‘s and high hats are just too “sssssss” for me. It’s annoying and I can’t get past it.

Again, just one dude’s opinion.
I like Steely Dan....can you tell?
 
I have the AB-1006 ... sounds great to me! Pretty sure that I bought it off of AK'er Carmices?
 
Interesting. I've got a very nice gatefold copy on ABC that I've always thought sounded spectacular. AA-1006 on the spine and sleeve, but AB-1006 in the dead wax. I believe I paid $5 for it like 20 years ago. I also have it on MCA and it's dull and lifeless in comparison. I do also have an original MFSL copy as well.
 
I own several AB's, Scratched AAB's and AA's - plus a MoFi.
My top dog is an AB 1006, 1A/1A 1B, SX.
I find it a tad more intense than the others. Just my 2 cents.
 
So the AB Santa Maria press is the winner! By a lot. Both my AA and AB are clean gatefold copies but the AB SM is just much more clear and full sounding.
 
The one I've been using as a test record for the last several years still sounds awesome, although it has a LOT of marks on it from handling (it gets used more than any other LP I've ever owned for testing purposes, and I do a LOT of testing). It is marked:

Side A: S AA-1006 (RE-4) 1 C
Side B: S AA(scratched out B) 1006 (RE-3) - B 1A

I'm taking it the S is for Santa Monica?

I have another one that's almost as good:

Side A: AA(scratched out B)-1006 - (RE-3) A - P4
Side B: (very faint)AA AB-1006 (RE-3) - B P3

I have a Terre Haute one as well and it's just thin compared to the others.
 
Still playing my 1977 Aja first Canadian pressing that will always be the best sounding album ever for me. If there is better out there well I say you are lucky owners
 
My copy of "Gold" on the MCA Audiophile imprint has, to me, the best sounding versions of "Deacon Blues" and "Black Cow" that I've heard.
 
Back
Top Bottom