• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK Fest 2007. Will the fest move ?

Sorry, I have to ask, but what the heck is that place we use for lunch? It sure looks like a bar or club to me. Do they not operate it? I wondered about that both years.

As far as next year, I'll get w/ Strawman and compile a list of places for the out of towners. Heck, I'll even do Mapquests for them and look into "nicer" accomodations if someone wants to upgrade and doesn't mind a short drive.

Like I said earlier, there's plenty to do around here, and shame on us for not doing a better job of letting folks know.
 
Billfort said:
Thats nice Dave but I do a 6 hour drive to get to the Fest, deal with crossing the border and carve 4 days out for the experience - I like involving my family and may just continue to do so. Lets just say not everyone shares your attitude on this.

Keeping it where it is would be great if you local guys could point us in the right directions to make the weekend more entertaining for us sorry family types. I'm sure we can get together to plan some stuff that gets wives and such out of the rooms occasionally to better enjoy the weekend.
Sorry if it sounded like attitude,but really it wasnt. The fest was a 12 hr drive [ ONE WAY ] for my wife and I as well,and that was balls to the wall stopping for gas and [ and I done all the driving feelling very weak from a prolonged illness ]that was it.Stay where yall wish to stay,no problem here,but my wife and I will stay in the same place next time if the fest is held at the same spot.Sorry if I offended anyone. I almost let the kids come with us and am sorry now that I did not bring them with us as that place turned out to be better than some places that we have right here in TN, and to say the least,it seemed to be safer where we stayed at than right here on our own farm. :thmbsp:
 
As of right now the where abouts of next years fest is still up in the air. Please keep your comments ( good or bad ) coming.

Andy

The lunch area is a bar/lounge. However the hotel does not have a liquor license so they cannot serve or allow us to drink in there.
 
The mischeivous, evil person in me compels me to suggest that we have a separate "high end" fest in an upscale hotel, with really expensive cables and some pebbles in a jar on each speaker.

I have to go hide now... :naughty:
 
Sure so when will you have that show ready for us ? :)
 
Andyman said:
As far as next year, I'll get w/ Strawman and compile a list of places for the out of towners. Heck, I'll even do Mapquests for them and look into "nicer" accomodations if someone wants to upgrade and doesn't mind a short drive.
Like I said earlier, there's plenty to do around here, and shame on us for not doing a better job of letting folks know.

That's what I was thinking Andy. I can spare some time and help out with this once we know. We could make up booklets or something with the different attractions with the maps and directions, and our own comments.
We could even e-mail the files to interested parties to try and generate some enthusiasm form the S.O.'s.
Steve
 
Many here have spoke of what looked like positive rennovations possibly taking place at the old hotel. This is just a thought, but since you're already checking around at other places Grumpy, maybe you could try contacting the old hotel to find out a little more about what rennovations might actually be taking place there and which ones might be done by the time the Fest takes place next year. It might help save you some time looking elsewhere if the changes look promising.

I unfortunately have yet to be able to attend, but hopefully next year!

Just my 2 cents...
Moondog
 
Last edited:
Judging by the responses by the members and the hotels Ive contacted it looks like we will not be changing venues.
 
Thanks for opening this up for debate Grumpy, and I certainly have no issues with the outcome, see you next year!



Retro
 
I don't either, looked like they were "working" on the hotel, maybe next year they'll have an in-house beanery. Yeah, havin' a mall or something close by would be nice, but we came to see each other, you can go to a mall when you're home, & I enjoyed meetin' the spouses about as much as I did meeting the members...Lauriann had a wonderful time, too, I think the wives are really missing out if they DON'T come. Even the few children I saw were well-behaved...But then, I would expect no less from AKers.
 
Plus I intend to show up at next year's fest and most of the major upscale hotels have permanently banned me...
 
Hey-!!!,
I thought the original place treated us fine. The single and small complaint was the line voltage issue, and a variac cured that w/o trouble. The rooms sounded good, and there was lots ov good stuff to see and hear.

See you in about 10 months.
cheers,
Douglas
 
PakProtector said:
I thought the original place treated us fine. The single and small complaint was the line voltage issue, and a variac cured that w/o trouble.
Last year I didn't know to bring a variac, and I suffered. This year I brought a metered 10 amp variac feeding a 2KV Plitron toroid with balanced output (60-0-60), designed to produce 1:1 under full load, and thus boosting the voltage a few volts at my 5-6A load. I had the variac pegged at nominal 130 vac in order to get 120 VAC under load at the equipment, but got what I needed, and with the common mode noise rejection of balanced power, it was clean!

If the event is held again in the same venue, I'd suggest a hard-to-miss reminder to people with rooms about the low voltage problem.
 
Move the whole thing to Chicago!!!!!!! :thmbsp:

Ahhhhh come on!!!!!! :yes:

You know you want to....

thinking about it..... :scratch2:

Well love to all anyway.... :banana: :banana: :banana:
 
Much as i love my home town of Chicago AK could never in a million years afford to host the fest there. Sorry. Look at it this way if your a south sider you can get to the fest in about 5 hours. Lots closer then most.

In a week or two i will talk to the hotel here to see if we can set up 07 again
 
Billfort said:
Ahhhhh, so you guys where cheating! :)

If that is the case, one could make the same one to everybody who didn't walk there and carry their gear with a pack( or at least a pack mule ). Or maybe only those of us who have gear with Thoriated Tungsten filaments need to be so careful of voltage.

Since that is a bit on the silly side.....:)
cheers,
Douglas
 
wish it was a 2 event a year thing one hosted out here in the west. I just feel to old to go that far by myself anymore. ask me about route 66.

Is anyone from california going? from la? maybe I could get a man to go with me? did I say that? ahh.. open for getting flamed.

But if i was going I'd lug the heil pro 15 with the elect. crossover setup.. which menas someone has to help me calibrate for the room anyway..and
it must be the heat, day dreaming. :yes:
 
It looks like I'm about a month late on this debate, but what's new. FWIW, I thought the freedom afforded by a venue that was a little "down on it's luck" was great. Also, isn't Northland technically still a mall? Besides, my wife digs audio, to a point, and when she wasn't with me, she was talking to...other wives! Lastly, we stayed at the Atrium Suites (sp?) just a little bit up the road. I finagled almost the same rate for the room as at HoJo's, and we had a great time. If anything, I felt a little bad because we DIDN"T stay at hojo's, sorta like we couldn't stay and party as late as we wanted to. So, who knows, we may stay there next year instead. Anyway, if I were us :scratch2: I would be really thankful for what we've got, and just hope they continue to both work with us, and slowly improve the place.
 
Hi Grumpy,

As many others have already said, I'll support your decision either way. But I would like to add that I rather like the HoJo now. Why?

1) The fact that this particular venue may act as a "snob filter" is a big plus, IMO. As a dealer, I happen to have more than a few regular customers who probably wouldn't want to attend the event due to its (past) location - and believe me when I say that while I do like seeing their money, I do NOT enjoy hanging out with them.

2) As has been pointed out above more than once, I really did feel like there were no constraints imposed upon our listening rooms this year.

3) I wish I could remember the fellow's name, but there was one hotel employee who REALLY made sure that everything worked out perfectly for me. In particular, he (1) managed some deliveries of bulky and expensive audio gear from overseas, making sure that they were properly signed for, carefully unloaded, and securely stored until I arrived; and (2) personally took care of Yoshi Muramatsu of Almarro - who flew in from Japan and arrived well before most of the rest of us - until the Fest began. Some AKers remember this guy: He was in his mid-twenties, had an earring and wore sparkly vest, and looked like the kind of fellow who NEVER has any trouble getting dates. I'd probably worry a bit if I had a daughter who was going out with him, but I'd LOVE to have him around again at AK-Fest 2007!

Cheers,
Brian
 
Back
Top Bottom