• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AK is the place for Yamaha. Right?

Dmannnnn

Up Late
I've been registered for awhile now, but really spend most of my time at some other sites dedicated to tube equipment and a specific brand of speakers. I will probably be hanging around here a little more often now due to today's craigslist purchase.

Yamaha C60
Yamaha M60
Yamaha T1020
Yamaha tape deck
Sony disc changer
really nice Technics EQ
Some Polk audio and Bose speakers both with stands
Assorted speaker cable and interconnects

I got it all for $225 without being able to audition and hoped for the best. Very well taken care of (only issue so far is a liitle scratchiness on the volume pot). The only item I was really interested in to begin with was the C60, specifically for the MC phono pre.

Well I just got it home and hooked up the M60/C60 to the RF-7's. I threw on some Micheal Hedges with a denon dl160. All I can say is WOW! I am immediately sold on this Yamaha gear. I have been pretty much an all tube guy since I got into audio a few years ago. Listening to some good SS really is like hearing it all for the first time. I'm mounting the LOMC cartridge now and can't wait to hear it.

Did the C60 have a remote?
 
Register to hide this ad
Nice score. Yamaha is characterised, in my mind, by resolution, accuracy and musicality. Sometimes these things are mutually exclusive but Yamaha has been known to pull it off time and again. The build quality tends to be good as well and I think the following on AK is a result of all these things.

Yamaha2.jpg
 
I am very pleased with the sound of the gear, but unfortunately the MC phono preamp is not working.:sigh: Just noise, no music. I pulled the cover and all I can see is what might be some burned resistors. On the left channel the resistors are green, but on they right they look brownish, like they got toasted. The MM section works great though. Definitely sounds a little more musical than the hagerman bugle I'm using.

This gear is so quiet I can actually turn the gain all the way up on the amp/pre and use the MM section for the ortofon MC10 moving coil cartridge. Everything has to be pegged though to get a decent listening level.

I hate to do it, but I might have to sell the preamp (somebody stop me). I just have too much gear and not enough money. The M60 is certainly a keeper though if I can afford to. My main amps are only 8 watts and I would like to have more power around to experiment some more with bi-amping. When it comes to audio gear I totally understand what those people with hoarding issues are feeling.

Couple quick questions:
How do these amps pair with electrostats? I've always been fascinated by the sound of these, but couldn't do much with the tube amps. (oh great, now I gotta get some more speakers)

On the M60, will the input impedance increase as I turn down the gain pots?

Thanks,
D
 
AK is the place for Yamaha. Right?

Yes, there are a few of us Yamahalics out in AKland (not Kiwi specific). Oddly, no Yamaha manufacturer's forum, but you will get a few knowledgable types to help when needed. I am more acquainted with the late 1980's stuff myself, so I cannot help with your gear, but good luck with your decision.
 
Another Yammie lover. Welcome to AK, and your new gear!
Regards,
Jim
 
How do these amps pair with electrostats?

Yamaha camp snatches another one up! Welcome!

To answer your question, I don't have experience with the combo, but have read many times about how great a match that was. Even the lower-powered M40/M45 at 120W/125W should do a good job of it I think, only getting better as you move up the M-series amps.

Keep the Yamaha, sell the Bose... :D

az
 
Keep the Yamaha, sell the Bose... :D

az

Already given away. buh-bye

The Polk Monitor 10's have some great mid-bass and midrange. The tweeter isn't really my cup o tea though. Perhaps a little work on the crossover will smooth it out.

I'm going to look at some Altec A7 VOTT's tomorrow. If I get those I'm gonna have to unload some other speakers. They are massive.

The tape deck that came with my purchase is a K1020. It really sounds great, but the rewind and fast forward aren't working so well. I've been trying to research this and it sounds like an experienced tech is needed. If anyone has some ideas on this, let me know. I'm pretty handy and not afraid to dig in to it.
 
Tape deck probably just needs some new belts ,clean-up,-- clean heads and capstan/pinch roller.Deoxit controls,clean out old grease and apply fresh where needed.
 
Plenty of Yamaha fans here on AK! :yes: Mark B has probably the ultimate "museum collection" of high-end Yamaha gear; at least, the best accumulation that I know of. At least six of us have the GT-2000 turntable (in one version or another), and a slew of AKers own NS-1000 series or similar speakers, and Yamaha amps, receivers, etc... There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here of Yamaha gear, and I can't recall many detractors around here.

It is my own belief that Yamaha's abundant resources as a musical instrument maker (and even as a motorbike manufacturer!) helped them to make some truly find audio gear, over the years. I believe that some of their gear (such as the GT-2000 and NS-1000Ms, which I have) represent some of the best value-for-money in audio today; truly high-end stuff, sonically, that are almost unparalleled in creating detailed, accurate yet musical sound, and which sold in sufficient numbers to remain affordable today. Other "statement" pieces may be rarer, and thus costlier, but are also outstanding in quality. More run-of-the-mill Yamaha products still benefited from the company's expertise and the "trickle-down" effect of what they learned in developing their finest stuff. Plenty of good Yamaha stuff out there.

A belated "Welcome" to another fan of Yamaha's "Natural Sound"!
 
If the Polk 10s have the 'silver coil' tweets they can be a bit rough. I bought the new replacements from Polk and find them much smoother. if you go to www.polkaudio.com and join the club they can be had for $48 each.
 
Back
Top Bottom