• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Akai AA-1150 Receiver Repair and Recap

LittleBill

New Member
Hi AKers!
I just finished my first receiver repair that involved more than just replacing bulbs. My goal was to repair the unit and replace electrolytic caps as a maintenance measure. I thought I'd post my notes and some photos. I've learned a ton from AK since being bitten by the vintage stereo bug almost 2 years ago. It's about time I contributed. Note: I have more photos from this project. If you want to see anything in particular, let me know.
- I bought the receiver on that auction site for $25. Seller said the unit did not power on, no lights, no sound, cosmetically good though.

- I bought a hard-copy (i.e. legible) service manual with schematics. These were key since the circuit boards have no component markings or labels.
- I don't have a dim bulb tester (it's on my to-do list), so I turned on the unit and plugged in headphones. No sound from headphones.
- I removed the cover and checked voltage levels starting with power supply circuit. (I also noticed that this thing was a rat's nest of wires inside. Boo!) This photo shows the power supply area.

- I also noticed that amp board was wedged between the heat sink and the power supply. It would be nearly impossible to replace or check anything on it without removing it. This photo is a different angle, with heat sink at top of photo, power supply at bottom, and amp board in between.

- There was no voltage at the outputs of power transformer. So I removed the transformer, took it apart, and found an open circuit in the primary winding.

- Fixed the winding open circuit (soldered wire ends together) and reinstalled transformer
- Powered on, got relay click, but no lights.
- Replaced 3 dial lights 8 Vac, 300 mA. Those are the only lights.
- Adjusted idling current according to manual directions
- Checked output dc offset, less than 10 mV so they're OK.
- Connected speakers and got sound, knobs staticky
- De-oxited knobs and buttons to fix static
- I got a pop sound from speakers when powering off. Below are the things I tried. None of them got rid of the pop. So I just turn the speaker selector to Off before shutting down.
- Tested protection circuit transistors and diodes using DMM diode tester. Replaced bad transistor (TR16 in protection circuit, 2SB560. Replaced with KSA916YTA)
- Replaced relay
- Replaced all electrolytic caps except power filter caps. (Might replace them later?)
- Tried connecting Quencharc 104M06QC100 across power button

Here's a gratuitous shot of the innards:

And a shot of the exterior with lights working. It's not a flashy receiver, but I like the aluminum face.

--- Repair experience impressions---
- The Bad: Not the best receiver for a beginner.
- Very difficult to get to amp board. It's tucked between heat sink and input power circuit.
- Had to cut many wires to remove amp board and then, of course, re-connect them later.
- No markings on circuit boards to indicate C1, or R10, etc. Schematics were essential.
- Disappointed I couldn't fix pop sound.
- The Good:
- I learned a lot, first time doing more than just replacing bulbs and spraying deoxit.
- It was very satisfying finding and fixing the transformer open circuit.

--- Audio and visual impressions ---
- Love the look, aluminum face
- Nice big tuner knob that spins easily
- I don't have much to compare the sound to. To me, the sound is clear and uncolored but not as transparent as my Yamaha CR-840. It has a better tuner than my CR-840 though.
- Did the re-capping make any difference in the sound? I would have to hear side-by-side. I don't notice a difference.

Thank you for reading! I hope this helps someone.
 
Register to hide this ad
My compliments! :thumbsup: Smart buy on the cosmetics. Do the speakers pop when powered on?
(However, long ago I got into the habit of turning vol. down and speakers off on any amp.)
 
Binkman, Thanks! The speakers do not pop when powered on. And on power off, it doesn't matter what the volume is set at - the speakers still pop at the same volume. I've tried connecting different speakers with the same results. I suspect a problem in the protection circuit, but that's just a hunch. Or maybe that's just how this receiver has always behaved since it was new? I don't know.
 
I have the same Akai AA-1150 I have had it nearly 30 years. It has the same problem no lights no power no sound. I'm not the guy to fix it, can you give an idea on the cost to pay someone to do it for me? Wood and Aluminum can't be beat in the looks department. I don't want to replace it. It's been down about 4 years, but clean and dry always.
 
Hi All ( LittleBill), not sure if this thread is still alive in any way,I too got the vintage bug. And I too got me a Akai AA1150, all working well but.....one channel ( left) gives static noise on both outputs A and B and also the phono output. Say 99% it's there. Music does play but very loud and distorted through this channel. Right is fine. Static appears straight after the relay kicks in. In other threads it was suggested to move the vario pots deoxit etc. but so far no luck. Looks like I have to remove the amp board as well. With this static noise, would you suggest replacing the transistors on the board or power transistors...or both?
 
I have the same Akai AA-1150 I have had it nearly 30 years. It has the same problem no lights no power no sound. I'm not the guy to fix it, can you give an idea on the cost to pay someone to do it for me? Wood and Aluminum can't be beat in the looks department. I don't want to replace it. It's been down about 4 years, but clean and dry always.
Brian Daly, sorry this reply is so late. I've always done my own repair work, so I don't know what techs charge to repair other folks' equipment. The problem could be something simple, like a blown fuse. That's something you might be able to check yourself. Unplug the receiver, remove the cover, and make sure there are no blown fuses. Good luck!
 
Hi All ( LittleBill), not sure if this thread is still alive in any way,I too got the vintage bug. And I too got me a Akai AA1150, all working well but.....one channel ( left) gives static noise on both outputs A and B and also the phono output. Say 99% it's there. Music does play but very loud and distorted through this channel. Right is fine. Static appears straight after the relay kicks in. In other threads it was suggested to move the vario pots deoxit etc. but so far no luck. Looks like I have to remove the amp board as well. With this static noise, would you suggest replacing the transistors on the board or power transistors...or both?
TeMarui, regarding the static on one channel, here's what I would do, in this order:
1) I'd deoxit all knobs and switches thoroughly. Sounds like you've already done that though.
2) If the static volume or characteristics change when you turn a particular knob, you might need to replace the pot.
3) You might want to check/replace the relay. Once, on another receiver I was working on, the relay contacts were worn or dirty enough to cause static on one channel. I replaced the relay, and the static was gone.
4) If the above steps don't help, I think the next step is replacing other components. I might start by replacing electrolytic caps, but that's just me. Then I would start testing transistors (out of circuit) and replace any obviously bad ones.
5) If you still have the static, I'd start replacing transistors. I'm not sure which ones - it could be a small signal one or a power transistor.

Good luck!
 
Thanks for the reply LittleBill. I wlll certainly try the above suggestions. Gotta get myself some decent gear, it has been a while and where I am , the abundance of components etc are a little scarce. Saying that the internet can be my friend. The unit itself besides the noise, looks great , loving the aluminum faceplate. Got also the AA1030, very nice sounds as well, pity I was a little too much clean freak and removed "power" other than that nice. Bit more space to work on than the AA1150. Once done I will post back, thanks again.
 
LittleBill, would you happen to have a good schematic for the aa-1150. Trying to figure out a circuit protection issue and the online schematics are poor… the expected voltages are not legible.
 
LittleBill, would you happen to have a good schematic for the aa-1150. Trying to figure out a circuit protection issue and the online schematics are poor… the expected voltages are not l
Sorry for the late reply ... I started an AK Conversation with you about sending a photo of the schematic I used.
 
LittleBill, did you ever solve the issue with the popping on power off?
Unfortunately, I never figured out the popping issue. My aa-1150 is in my receiver bullpen right now ... I only use it occasionally. So I don't plan on spending any more time investigating that problem.
 
Hello all. Thanks for this very informative thread. My father in law had an Akai back in the day and I'm always looking to rebuild him a nice system and considering Akai or Yamaha, as, long story short, they fit his aesthetic. There's an Akai AA 1150 for a decent price available near me, fully functional. That said, seeing the insides is making me a bit hesitant. It's got to be the messiest layout I've ever seen in a vintage receiver. Anf the boards.......wow. Congradulations to the OP taking this on successfully as a first deep dive. So my question is, does the sound compensate for these downsides? Are they known to be reliable? I have no experience with Akai. Thank you all!
 
Unfortunately, I never figured out the popping issue. My aa-1150 is in my receiver bullpen right now ... I only use it occasionally. So I don't plan on spending any more time investigating that problem.
I also have the 1150.
It has the turnoff pop, but if I slightly shift the volume knob, it will not pop. I may try some more Deoxit, if that doesn't work, then filter caps
 
Hello all. Thanks for this very informative thread. My father in law had an Akai back in the day and I'm always looking to rebuild him a nice system and considering Akai or Yamaha, as, long story short, they fit his aesthetic. There's an Akai AA 1150 for a decent price available near me, fully functional. That said, seeing the insides is making me a bit hesitant. It's got to be the messiest layout I've ever seen in a vintage receiver. Anf the boards.......wow. Congradulations to the OP taking this on successfully as a first deep dive. So my question is, does the sound compensate for these downsides? Are they known to be reliable? I have no experience with Akai. Thank you all!
My listening experience in general is probably not as extensive as some others on this site. And the Akai 1150 is the only Akai I've had a chance to listen to. Having said all that, I would say it's similar to a late 1970s Yamaha receiver. I've heard Yamaha CR-620 and CR-840 models. The Akai has the same clear, "uncolored" sound the Yamahas have. Is it better than the Yamahas? Probably not. If I were in your shoes, I would lean toward a Yamaha over an Akai. Good luck!
 
I'm currently cleaning/restoring my second AA-1150...The speaker pop on power off was present on both units as well.....but I've since studied the issue and solved it.
The protection relay delays speaker engagement until the rail voltage is correct, this prevents a/the pop upon power up. On power down, the protection relay is still active.... as the rail collapses it creates the pop through the speakers before the protection relay drops back out.

One solution as mentioned here, is to simply turn the speaker selector switch to the off position...works just fine. However not what I want to do every time and being old and forgetful...
Instead I installed an additional spst relay, tucked away nicely under the fuse holder bracket.
It has 120vac coil voltage and tied into the "switched" outlet on the back of the receiver. The N/O contact of the relay is wired in series with the protection relay coil. (yes you have to cut the trace on the board...)

How it works:
- Power on, the relay energizes and allows the protection relay to come on as usual.
- Power off, the relay instantly de-energizes which also drops the protection relay out instantly...no more pop on power off.

Bart
 
Back
Top Bottom