• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Akai Crossovers

Nucky

Member
Just acquired a pair of Akai SW-650 S speakers. These appear to be exactly that same as the Akai SW-157 speakers but it seems they were sold in Australia with a silver finished cabinet rather than a wood finish as in the SW-157.
My problem is twofold. These came without the tweeters (from my local tip shop) but, on getting them home and having a closer look, whoever removed the tweeters also butchered the crossovers by cutting out some wiring (including the wiring to the two pots used to vary the midrange and high frequency).
Problem number 1 is being solved... wonder of wonders, I have tracked down 2 Akai tweeters for these speakers and they are on their way to me!
Now I would like to restore them to as close to original as I can but I cannot find anywhere a circuit diagram of the crossover networks so I can rebuild them.
Does anyone have any knowledge of these or a schematic for the crossovers?
ANY help as always would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Not sure what the odds are that someone may have the schematic etc.,but if you posted a nice clear pic of the front and back of the crossover here, then you will have a good chance.
 
+1, post a pict.

Here you have some SW-t50 crossovers that I've modified. Not the same as yours, but if they share the same crossover scheme, it could help you.

On the left, original crossover.

But it will be something like this, 1st or 2nd order for the mid and tweeter, and the L-pad wired like this one.

Polarity can be a guess. In this speakers, the mid was in phase with the woofer, the tweeter was reversed. After my mod, the mid and tweeter are phase reversed.

There is a thread "AKAI lovers and collectors", perhaps you can find the speakers there and PM the owner.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=503611
 

Attachments

  • AKAI-sw-t50-xover.jpg
    AKAI-sw-t50-xover.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 57
Pics taken through midrange aperture are in Akai Lovers thread if you want to look (see link in previous post this thread) Hopefully these will help as crossovers will not fit through midrange aperture and woofer has a glued-in rubber seal making it very hard to remove
 
+1, post a pict.

Here you have some SW-t50 crossovers that I've modified. Not the same as yours, but if they share the same crossover scheme, it could help you.

On the left, original crossover.

But it will be something like this, 1st or 2nd order for the mid and tweeter, and the L-pad wired like this one.

Polarity can be a guess. In this speakers, the mid was in phase with the woofer, the tweeter was reversed. After my mod, the mid and tweeter are phase reversed.

There is a thread "AKAI lovers and collectors", perhaps you can find the speakers there and PM the owner.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=503611

Hi Elnaldo. I'm very curious about what results your modification achieved?
I just acquired some Sw-t50's. Really enjoying them alot. Just wish I could get a little bit more out of the bottom end.
 
Hello. The modified crossover sounds more balanced. Keep in mind I've fixed the blown tweeters, so the tweeters sounded different (probably louder than the original). I can post some measurements I did before and after the mod.

You can try it for yourself, not expensive components involved in the modification.
 
Thanks! I might well try it. Probably a good idea to replace the old electronic parts in any case. As for improving bass, I suspect some extra dampening might help warm the sound. It's especially the low percussive side of things like kick drums that sound a little thuddy or boxy. Even though I do enjoy the "big box" sound!
 
Back
Top Bottom