• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AKAI GX-77 R2R, Reels Not Turning???

Segasonic91

Active Member
I went to look at a GX-77 today that I will most likely be buying on Wednesday (may depend on this thread!)

I was told it had problems. When it was demonstrated, it did nothing at all. The tape did not load and the reels did not spin. I know about problems with the pinch roller/loading getting stuck etc. I was just not sure if this prevented the motors turning. RRWD and FF did not work either. Placing a finger on the reel, one can feel the motor try to start, but it is only for half a second and then it clicks off. I do not want to end up with a lemon, so I wanted to ask opinions of the experts.

They have a working GX-77.... Also a Revox B77 that I want to buy, but have only been told "it does not work". It is decent condition, just very dirty and no heads cover. The heads on an a77 I looked at were rusted, I cannot remember if the B77 was the same, though.

Thanks in advance!
 
Register to hide this ad
B77 is your best bet. TONS of parts available, VERY serviceable and built like a tank. Not so on a GX-77 which is really a toy, and an A77 which IS a great deck but SO old that it needs a total overhaul to begin with.

I'd stay far away from a GX-77. They are very pretty, but good luck.
A Pioneer RT-707 would be a SOLID choice if you want a low profile deck. Direct drive, NO belts, super well built.
 
Yeah, I am really very keen on the B77! I have looked at tons of videos, threads etc already. It really is just a matter of price, really. Plus as I said, not knowing ANYTHING about it's current condition.

I know the GX-77 does not compare in many ways and is a BITCH to work on, but I have wanted one for soooo long! I love the look of it so much. The 747 was the deck I really fell in love with 2 years ago. I know that the looks can be decieving, I have read a number of threads giving that opinion, lol.

When I first discussed the two units (I wanted a GX-77 and the B77), he said it would be about AU$400 which was great. He didn't really price the B77. But when I went to inspect yesterday, the story was "I will have to research prices" which was incredibly annoying. I have no desire what-so-ever to rip the guy off, but "researching prices" is always annoying because it really means "look at overpriced crap on ebay that has not sold in 2 years, because the price is a joke". Grrr.

There was a fully working GX on ebay here last week and it ended at $844. There was also a "faulty" (what was wrong was never stated, just that it was a "project" they no longer had interest in) B77 last week as well and it went for AU$1411. This is what worries me. The difference in condition is what bothers me as well as being told it does not work. I am going back on Wednesday so I will investigate the B77 more then so I can decide. I need some opinions on the GX-77's problems before Wednesday which is worrying me. I tried to register at tapeheads, but that magical confirmation email never appeared >_<
 
Yeah, it sure does not look fun. If features one of those big Japanese design flaws of the 80's; plastic wheels with plastic teeth that become brittle and break. Just like the PC Engine CD-ROMROM. At least new 3D printed replacements are available for the PCE, not so much for the GX-77!

I am 99% sure I will get the B77. The other 1% is simply what price they expect... It will cost hundreds to overhaul. A kit is available locally for $470. Cheaper to get it from the UK though! By about $200. Although the UK kit does not contain brake parts, new pinch rollers and new RCA plugs. Last is of course negligible, but the other 2 may put it over the local price, hmmmm....
 
The GX is all about "bells and whistles" THAT DON'T WORK !!! And parts are no-go.
You will not end up happy. B77 or a nice 707 which either one can be worked on. Good luck!
 
Looks like I won't be able to get an opinion on tye GX-77 problems here.

I bought one that was nearly new in the 80's. It's toy like, the fast wind speeds were terrible and it soon developed scratchy level controls. I was happy to sell it. Forty plus years old? If it wasn't good new it will not be any better today.
 
B77 is your best bet. TONS of parts available, VERY serviceable and built like a tank. Not so on a GX-77 which is really a toy, and an A77 which IS a great deck but SO old that it needs a total overhaul to begin with.

I'd stay far away from a GX-77. They are very pretty, but good luck.
A Pioneer RT-707 would be a SOLID choice if you want a low profile deck. Direct drive, NO belts, super well built.

I agree handily with this advice. The ReVox B 77 is a superb machine. Do make sure those old Philips, Wima, and Frako electrolytic capacitors are replaced with fresh ones. Plus while spare parts are not cheap, they're still available far easier. And service literature and manuals easier to find.
 
Thanks guys, I ended up buying an A77 MkIV and B77 MkII on Wednesday for the bargain price of AU$350! I was offered both working and non-working GX-77 for AU$1000.

I was slightly disappointed to discover the B77 was a MkII 1/2" track as I am also getting a TASCAM 32 and wanted each the B77 and 32 for 1/4" and 1/2" high speed respectively. Now I will not have a 1/4" 10.5" machine as it looks like the A77 is also 1/2".

I have ordered the "emergency" caps to be replaced and will also buy a complete cap kit for both. I think the A77 needs the most work, it is in kind of rough shape and I will need to replace pretty much everything and re-build it. I just hope the heads are okay in both. I know that they tested both machines and the predictable incident occourrd. Smoke and burning! So obviously, neither has been plugged in.

I have started cleaning each out. The outer heads on both are quite corroded as neither has a head cover (Yet! This is why I assumed the B77 was a MkI, 1/4" It is not high speed and I thought the MkII was only high speed), is it possible to polish them up and remove the rusty looking corrosion or best to leave them as is? The wood case of the A77 is quite beaten up, I am thinking of sanding it back slightly and then re-staining to improve the look. Far too expensive to have a nice condition sent from overseas. I am just lucky that there is a Revox parts specialist in this country. Goddamned expensive, but I will get there, I am in no hurry. I will be buying the cap kits from the UK, though. The mob here have Taiwanese caps vs Nichicon Gold in the UK kit and cheaper by $100!
 
Yes, that is what I figured after I posted that. Are your machines high speed or low speed? High speed, 7 1/2-15 IPS. Low speed, 3 3/4 IPS-7 1/2 IPS.
 
Both are low speed, according to the panels. I did not even think of it being a MkII as I thought they were all high speed. Duh@me!

Checked out the TASCAM 32 today but was unable to bring it home as I had planned. Seems like the belt is mush, as it woukd not play but the motors work very well. There was some crud on the heads, but it just looked like tape shedding. I am looking forward to hearing a 15ips recording from my records. I have a Denon DP-47f, TECHNICS SL-1700 MKII and Victor YF-44. I think I will try tye TECHNICS first as I have not been able to get a protractor to set the auto decks up. I have a Audio Technica VM760SLM sitting for that has not been used yet! Bought it a year ago! Kind of wish I left the Victor cart on. I played a Japanese single and it sounded a bit muffled and scratchy on the S's so I assumed the needle was no good but that single (Sesshiru no Amagasa by Iijima Mari) spunds the same on all my TT's. Album version sounds much better but I prefer the single mix). I was very surprised that it sounded fine on my SA-7500 as there is no MC setting. Oh well, just need to get them set up!
 
Back
Top Bottom