• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Akai GX-77 Worth It

MRL_Audio

RIP 2022
Couple of questions. First I must admit I am a big fan of the silver faced Akai tape decks. Cassette and R2R. I have a GXC-570D, GXC750D and GXC-760D on the cassette side. On the R2R side I have 2 GX-635D's. I am interested in a GX-77. Wanted some opinions on the deck despite the potential issues I've read about. Also not certain what the worth of a clean, near mint fully functioning unit is. Any thoughts appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
GX77 should be a little complicated, because of the tape loading system, but otherwise a real "looker"

(Main problem are the usual for Akai's ~spareparts)
 
As the owner of an Akai GX-635 and a GX-630 I think the GX-77 would not be as good as the direct drive decks....I think they are over priced because of the "coolness" factor. In other words I would not pay anymore for it than I would any other belt driven deck that you can find pretty cheap, like a Sony.
 
I have to agree. The GX-77 is a complicated, fickle deck. At this age they need some real TLC to get them back up to spec. The DO look fantastic and sound great when working right. But I'd advise against buying one unless you can fix it properly or are willing to pay a good tech to do it.

As cool as my own GX-77 was, I eventually sold it. I'll stick to the better built machines.

Marc
 
The GX 77 mechanically is a PITA when they got old. Fickle and overcomplex just to be cute. There are better machines out there and cheaper.
 
Not to mention the tiny little DC motors that would look unimpressive in a cassette deck, sillier still seeing them used in an open reel deck.

John
 
With due respect to the previous comments, when working right it is a very good little machine with excellent sound. There is enough resource on these forums to help to keep one running too. Mine had a problem with the pinch roller loader, but was easy to fix and no problems since.
Fred
 
With due respect to the previous comments, when working right it is a very good little machine with excellent sound. There is enough resource on these forums to help to keep one running too. Mine had a problem with the pinch roller loader, but was easy to fix and no problems since.
Fred

I agree, which is why I want one. Cool looking, unique operation. Going in both both eyes wide open.
 
Hey MRL_Audio, I agree with what these guys are telling you. My black one has weak motors in rewind.

I honestly don't think they are worth the money given the track record of these decks.


Steve
 
Hey MRL_Audio, I agree with what these guys are telling you. My black one has weak motors in rewind.

I honestly don't think they are worth the money given the track record of these decks.


Steve

Hi Steve, I seem to remember there is an Akai tape recorder resource on the net by S Bender, and he has provided a mod for weak rew and ff on the GX77 or a fix of some sort.
Fred
 
Yep - familiar with the Bender site. He does indeed have a FF-RW fix, $35 2+ hours of work, but these only impacted the early 1982 pieces. There's a lot of good Akai info there and he has lots of spare parts for Akai. Still interested in a unit - Silver!
 
... I honestly don't think they are worth the money given the track record of these decks.


Steve

Lot's of stuff falls into that category but I keep buying it. Kobe beef, ice cream, NOS parts for my 69 Firebird. I can't take it with me - might as well enjoy it now. :D
 
I used to think that that deck was cool, until I discovered how it was built. I owned a GX-747dbx for almost 20 years, which was a far better-built machine. But even it started having mechanical issue which were not easy to fix. So I sold it, and I haven't missed it a bit since.

Now a machine must justify its existence with both superlative performance, and simplicity (or easy serviceability) or I have no interest. Unfortunately my old the Akai failed on both counts (although I loved the GX heads).
 
Lot's of stuff falls into that category but I keep buying it. Kobe beef, ice cream, NOS parts for my 69 Firebird. I can't take it with me - might as well enjoy it now. :D

I had to stop buying them. 4 Akai's and none of them being used. :sigh:


Steve
 
GX-77 is one of only a few 7" decks that plays AND records in both directions. Having said that, I bought one and sold it while it was still working perfectly - I was a little scared of it due the complexity of the tape handling system.
 
GX-77 available near Boston

I picked up one of these in a package of some nice vintage equipment. Since I have 3 other R2R decks, I have no need for this one. It needs a bit of work in the tape loading area but seems to be in great shape otherwise and includes the original box and manual. This is the near black version and it's a great looking deck. I'll list this in the barter area but thought I'd mention it here since a few posters seem to be looking for one. PM me if interested.
 
With due respect to the previous comments, when working right it is a very good little machine with excellent sound. There is enough resource on these forums to help to keep one running too. Mine had a problem with the pinch roller loader, but was easy to fix and no problems since.
Fred
I'm having a similar problem with my GX-77. The loading roller moves up and hits a little micro-switch at the top of its travel. Then, it moves back down several mm. Pressing Play (in either direction) causes the loading roller to move back down to its lowered position without ever engaging the pinch roller. I've pulled off the covers and found that if I short together the contacts of that micro-switch, the pinch roller will engage. However, the deck will only run for ~8 seconds and the counter does not advance. I also managed to get both reel drive belts replaced. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

Thoughts?

Dave
 
I'm having a similar problem with my GX-77. The loading roller moves up and hits a little micro-switch at the top of its travel. Then, it moves back down several mm. Pressing Play (in either direction) causes the loading roller to move back down to its lowered position without ever engaging the pinch roller. I've pulled off the covers and found that if I short together the contacts of that micro-switch, the pinch roller will engage. However, the deck will only run for ~8 seconds and the counter does not advance. I also managed to get both reel drive belts replaced. I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

Thoughts?

Dave

Right below the loading roller is a spring (part14 on page 53 of the PDF).

Is the spring attached at both ends?

Loading roller switch is a leaf switch, not a micro switch.
 
Nope, the spring is only attached at the top. There doesn't appear to be anything to attach it to below. It looks as though there may have been a (plastic?) piece that has broken off just above (~4mm) a c-clip. I'm guessing that's not a good sign. Also, now the flywheel belt has come off. I've had the back off, but can't see a way to get it back on.

Right below the loading roller is a spring (part14 on page 53 of the PDF).
Hmm, I don't have a SM for this.

I'm guessing this is quickly becoming an epay parts unit. :(

Dave
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom