• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Akai GXC-725 Rewind Problem

jmiles1960

Super Member
I recently picked up a nice Akai GXC-725 cassette deck. I replaced the belt and did a light cleaning to remove dust, etc... Deoxit'd the controls and switches. It works great except it is very slow or stops during Rewind.

FF is fine and operates at a good pace and seems normal. Any ideas why Rewind would be failing? Worn roller? Weak spring(s)? All other functions are working fine.

Thanks for the advice / help.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a cassette deck like yours (Akai GXC 725-D) and with the same problem!
You could solve the problem? How?
 
Well besides just a belt replacement one needs to replace the idler rubber "O" rings that are in there. I think that has to do with FF and Rwd.
 
Cracks develope on the idler tires after a few years and If left un-treated will quickly breakdown the rubber.

You might want to try using a rubber re-juvenator to soften the rubber and extract a few more miles from them.
I did and they seem to work well.

Try running a search on this forum on rubber re-juvenator for more information.

Good luck to you all...
 
Back
Top Bottom