• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Akai x-330D recording issue

mosten

New Member
I have an Akai 330-D. When recording, I set the Akai to "tape" and enable the tape loop 1 on my Mcintosh c27. While recording, I hear both channels, both VU meters move. When I play the tape back, the left channel is dead. No sound or movement of the left VU meter. Setting the source to "tape" while recording should playback what was just recorded to the tape right? So if that's the case, why would I have no sound on the left channel when playing it back? It's the same playback head right?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have never owned an X330D but since it is an Akai product, there is an excellent chance that one of the 2SC458 transistors an X330D contains, is faulty. The several Akai tape recorders I did own, all had them. And each one of those recorders had a problem with one channel, could be playback, could be record. The problems were noise or just plain dead. I experienced that with Akai open reel decks, Akai 8 track decks and Akai cassette decks. Replacing however many 2SC458 transistors each deck contained solved the problems.

If you examine the 2SC458 transistors within your deck you will likely see that their legs are black.

 
Hi, I took a stab at tracing the signals on the X330D schematic for one of the channels (L).
  • The signal comes from the PB head to thru SW302 then into the P.B. Amp Card (red outline)
  • It goes through an amplifier stage then out to the Stereo/Mono switch, then back thru SW302 and into another two transistor stages
  • The signal is then output from the card and goes to two places 1) VU Meter, 2) Line Out
  • Since you can hear something while monitoring the tape during recording, the path to the Line Out seems OK
  • I think you described that with the switch in TAPE, you can hear output when recording, but not during play, so maybe not that switch
  • But, it looks like maybe the Mono/Stereo switch gets switched in during PLAY?
I know this won't be readable, but you can follow along with your schematic.
I think your problem lies in one of two places:
  1. Source Selector Switch (SW302) - Locate and clean wafer contacts and wipers.
  2. Mono/Stereo Switch (SW002) - Locate and see if you can spray some Deoxit into the switch.
Here is a post on tapeheads.net that discusses a similar issue.
https://www.tapeheads.net/threads/akai-x-330d-right-channel-not-recording.62623/
1722927988702.png
photo courtesy tapeheads.net

1722927494943.png
I hope this helps.
 
Back
Top Bottom