• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AkitikA GT-102 unboxing/build/review

I’m glad you sorted it all out. :cool:
Other than that bit of frustration, are you enjoying the build so far?
 
I’m glad you sorted it all out. :cool:
Other than that bit of frustration, are you enjoying the build so far?

Thanks!
Yes I am enjoying it, things are going well, I have one amp module done.
Gonna start on the other tomorrow morning.
Gerry
 
  • Like
Reactions: MKG
I’m hoping to finish my build today, but I have to finish the bathroom renovation first. Almost done with it, just need to caulk around the tub and touch up some paint.
 
Bathroom isn’t finished but almost. Just need to install the last two pieces of trim and touch up some paint.
Amp isn’t finished but almost, I’ve started installing everything into the chassis.
Neither will be finished until later in the week when I’m not on call, or potentially until the weekend after next which is the next time where I have days where I don’t work and am also not on call.
I put some cheese on to smoke and made some more progress with the build today.
I did my usual Micah move and used brute force when finesse was required (...the same reason I currently have a broken finger, although that was obtained during a stereo installation in my car back in November- managed to break it in a spot that takes 6 months to heal) and stripped one of the speaker jacks. That’s why if you zoom in on the pics you’ll notice that the right channel ground is mounted before the bolts rather than between. I’ll hafta order another but in the meantime it’s solid and stable. Less so if I were to unscrew and rescrew the binding posts, but I use banana plugs.
 

Attachments

  • 27ED58EE-AE9A-4D4D-BBB2-DD25580CEBAA.jpeg
    27ED58EE-AE9A-4D4D-BBB2-DD25580CEBAA.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 83
  • F8672EA9-1145-4185-A669-1404B4FBCFC5.jpeg
    F8672EA9-1145-4185-A669-1404B4FBCFC5.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 31416D17-C5BA-4748-87E9-BE48E3B777EE.jpeg
    31416D17-C5BA-4748-87E9-BE48E3B777EE.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 0400A3F8-86A7-409E-BB32-D06483831176.jpeg
    0400A3F8-86A7-409E-BB32-D06483831176.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 83
  • 02721749-FD46-46E4-93D8-6341158266E6.jpeg
    02721749-FD46-46E4-93D8-6341158266E6.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 2D5AB49F-8396-4163-8378-57FC5545B5DC.jpeg
    2D5AB49F-8396-4163-8378-57FC5545B5DC.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: MKG
My entire shop still smells of hickory smoke and it’s making me hungry.
Finished the build tonight.
The red transformer wire came a bit damaged from the factory, fixed that with a bit of heat shrink tubing.
Speaking of heat shrink tubing, the bit they including was too small to easily fit over anything I needed it to fit over so I used some of my own in a slightly larger size to avoid any frustration.
All in all it was a very enjoyable, easy build. There was none of the hair pulling wtf frustration involved in my Chinese kit builds.
I would definitely recommend it to beginners and experienced builders alike- for the combination of ease and quality (and economy!)
Ignore any cat hair in the pictures, that’s a free bonus of anything that I do in life. It’s a perk of living with 10 rescue cats.
It’s making beautiful music and looking quite good while doing it.
I’ll post a proper review of its sound in a few weeks after I’ve put it through its paces with multiple sources and genres from folk to hip hop to jazz to bluegrass to industrial to techno and a number of stuffs in between, and once I’ve gotten over the “it’s awesome ‘cause I built it!” bias. ;)
B36A76A7-D618-4217-8341-A0D977AB8EB9.jpegB815E51A-F205-46B7-97CC-EE0641B2103C.jpegD9405707-AB09-49BF-9BDB-D05ED9258966.jpeg76ED3281-763B-43C1-A920-8734ECADE84A.jpeg4FA31926-4264-478F-9F10-AB7973B0B08A.jpeg8AAD1BF0-7124-4586-8552-852F334FDA3C.jpeg
 
Thanks for your posting. I have the Akitika PR-101 preamp with phono stage on the way. Should start on it this weekend. I ordered it to replace my acurus LS-11 which is beginning to fail in the right channel.
 
Good job on the amp!
I love the smell of hickory smoke, I have smoked ribs and pork shoulder but I have never smoked cheese before. Looks good!
I started the final wiring yesterday and messed up making one of the shielded cables by accidentally sniping the drain wire too short.
I have some of this shielded cable somewhere in my shop left over from when I CNC'ed my lathe, I just gotta find it LOL.
Gonna get a fresh start this morning and hopefully finish it today.
Gerry
 
Thanks for your posting. I have the Akitika PR-101 preamp with phono stage on the way. Should start on it this weekend. I ordered it to replace my acurus LS-11 which is beginning to fail in the right channel.

I don't have a lot of preamps so that could be really tempting as a build. Looking forward to your impressions of it.
 
I’m tempted to get the preamp as well. Not because I need another one... more because the amp build was so enjoyable.
 
Hickory does not make for a good smoked cheese, stick to the fruit trees. I’ll have to try apple or peach wood this weekend.
Still giving the amp a good proper listen- I haven’t been disappointed in it yet, unlike the last round of cold smoked cheese.
 
Too bad the cheese didn't turn out.
I finished my amp last Friday. Sounds great, everything worked as it should. The only speakers I have right now are some JBL Control 1, Ø 4-1/2" two ways I think they are?
Going to order some speaker kits w/o knockdown enclosures towards the end of the month. Waiting for it warm up so I can use my table saw and stuff out in the garage to make the enclosures.
Gerry
 
  • Like
Reactions: MKG
I’ll be posting a proper review this weekend, I think. :)
I’m glad yours is completed and working!
 
Here’s my official review:
I like it, it’s good. :smoke:
That is all.

On a more subjective note, it’s currently doing shop duty and replacing an Onkyo M-501.
Comparing the two, the GT is far more... musical. I found the M-501 to be too cold, dry, sterile- while the GT-102 is far more warm and inviting. Not warm in a tube sense, but rather that its dynamics seem more dynamic. ;)
It’s tones seem more tonier.
My god, I’m bad at this reviewing thing.
Mids sound clearer, highs are good, bass is tight. I don’t feel like I need more power, which is a feeling that a number of other amps have left me with.
Most importantly for me- no listening fatigue. That is something that I previously thought was speaker dependent, I wasn’t aware that an amp could affect it as well.
So there ya go. A super enjoyable, easy build of a very decent and capable amp that I highly recommend to anyone who likes to solder.
 
Here’s my official review:
I like it, it’s good. :smoke:
That is all.

On a more subjective note, it’s currently doing shop duty and replacing an Onkyo M-501.
Comparing the two, the GT is far more... musical. I found the M-501 to be too cold, dry, sterile- while the GT-102 is far more warm and inviting. Not warm in a tube sense, but rather that its dynamics seem more dynamic. ;)
It’s tones seem more tonier.
My god, I’m bad at this reviewing thing.
Mids sound clearer, highs are good, bass is tight. I don’t feel like I need more power, which is a feeling that a number of other amps have left me with.
Most importantly for me- no listening fatigue. That is something that I previously thought was speaker dependent, I wasn’t aware that an amp could affect it as well.
So there ya go. A super enjoyable, easy build of a very decent and capable amp that I highly recommend to anyone who likes to solder.
What shop tools do you recommend? Solder gun is obvious, but what else is essential? Looks like you had some kind of circuit board holder? Mounted magnifying glass? Anything else? Thanks for the great tutorial and review.
 
What shop tools do you recommend? Solder gun is obvious, but what else is essential? Looks like you had some kind of circuit board holder? Mounted magnifying glass? Anything else? Thanks for the great tutorial and review.

Bare essentials:

A good temperature controlled soldering iron (personally, I wouldn’t go near a circuit board with a soldering gun- tips are too large and it’s too easy to damage a board).

Flux & Rosin (flux for the board, rosin for wires).

Solder (I’m a big fan of 60/40).

Rubbing Alcohol to clean flux off boards after soldering (at least 91%)

A solder sucker or other way to desolder (braid, etc.)

Flush cutter (to clip component leads)

Various small hand tools- screw drivers, pliers, sharp utility knife or xacto.

Digital multimeter.

Things that are nice to have:

A proper soldering station with a variety of tips for the iron and with a desoldering gun.

A circuit board holder. If you search for “circuit board holder” on Amazon you’ll find a number of options.

Helping hands- those things with alligator clips on movable arms with an attached magnifying glass. Do a search for “helping hands” on Amazon and you’ll find a number of options. Make sure you cover that magnifying glass when it’s not in use if there’s any chance that sunlight could hit it, unintentional fires are bad.

Wire Stripper

Various sizes of sharing tubing.


If you’re soldering skills aren’t up to snuff, practice on something unwanted/unneeded (dead electronics, thrift store stuff, etc.)

Happy building!
 
Bare essentials:

A good temperature controlled soldering iron (personally, I wouldn’t go near a circuit board with a soldering gun- tips are too large and it’s too easy to damage a board).

Flux & Rosin (flux for the board, rosin for wires).

Solder (I’m a big fan of 60/40).

Rubbing Alcohol to clean flux off boards after soldering (at least 91%)

A solder sucker or other way to desolder (braid, etc.)

Flush cutter (to clip component leads)

Various small hand tools- screw drivers, pliers, sharp utility knife or xacto.

Digital multimeter.

Things that are nice to have:

A proper soldering station with a variety of tips for the iron and with a desoldering gun.

A circuit board holder. If you search for “circuit board holder” on Amazon you’ll find a number of options.

Helping hands- those things with alligator clips on movable arms with an attached magnifying glass. Do a search for “helping hands” on Amazon and you’ll find a number of options. Make sure you cover that magnifying glass when it’s not in use if there’s any chance that sunlight could hit it, unintentional fires are bad.

Wire Stripper

Various sizes of sharing tubing.


If you’re soldering skills aren’t up to snuff, practice on something unwanted/unneeded (dead electronics, thrift store stuff, etc.)

Happy building!

Thanks!
 
fantastic build. was the ground loop breaker part of the kit or did you add it yourself? I like how absolutely beefy it is, its probably the biggest rectifier chip that you can get for consumer market
 
fantastic build. was the ground loop breaker part of the kit or did you add it yourself? I like how absolutely beefy it is, its probably the biggest rectifier chip that you can get for consumer market

it’s been a few years, but I don’t recall doing any modifications to the build so I’m guessing that the ground loop breaker was part of the kit.
 
Back
Top Bottom