• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Album inserts and grading

ra7c7er

Hoarding records since 1990
I've recently found out I grade records much harsher than just about everyone in existence. But I'm not asking about scratches or scuffs this time. This time I'm just asking about inserts; posters, advert cards, download cards, etc.

From what I interpret goldmine standards to say is that for a album, as a whole, to be Mint or NM it has to have all inserts in excellent condition. A missing insert will knock a full grade off and a missing item means the album as a whole cannot grade better than VG (+). Because the overall grade of a album is the lowest grade of any part Cover, record, sleeve and extras. Correct?

I have another question about download cards. Would a used download card cause a grade drop since the card could no longer be called Mint? From what I interpret to grade a inserted download card as M or NM it would still have at least one available download since that is how it came from the factory. So a used download card would grade no better than VG (+), if you were grading every individual piece of a album, right? or is that wrong?

Would a download card that still has downloads left on it possibly raise the grade or a album or is it just a bonus? But if it is a bonus wouldn't that make the existence of any insert in a album a bonus since it isn't expected and make the availability of inserts fall outside the realm of grading? having a used download card with the record would be like getting Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" with the posters but the posters are ripped in half. It's there but it's no good.

Now I know I am thinking way to much into this but I was just curious as to what other people think. And no not having inserts has ever stopped me from buying a used record but not having the original sleeve has.

I posed this question to Goldmine Magazine in an email and the response was basically, "Download cards are not prevalent enough for us [Goldmine] to change or update our grading scale. Download cards would be considered the same as any other non-standard insert." I paraphrased that from a paragraph. The problem with that answer is that the current goldmine standards for non-standard inserts (posters, cards, etc) doesn't really cover a non-tangible item such as a digital media still being available. I do give big props to whoever at Goldmine answered my email though. It was nice of them to respond with any sort of answer.

I give major props to anyone who read this and understood it. Like I said I know i'm being really technical about the download card thing but I was wondering.
 
Register to hide this ad
Besides the ones that aren't to my taste that I flip to a local shop, I don't sell albums.

Having said that, I look at it this way; each aspect of the album should be graded separate(cover, inserts, vinyl, download card, etc). The seller should just be honest about each aspect. I think a "NM" album with a used/missing download card should be graded NM, but with a mention of the used or missing card.
Same for one with a CD. Is it there or missing, sealed or not, NM itself or not, etc.

I'm a "buy it for the music" guy, so I can enjoy my Sgt Peppers with missing inserts, and the drum cut out of the front cover. The lp itself is in fabulous shape, and sounds great. But I'm also really picky about keeping my new purchases in as perfect shape as I can, including inserts. I have a few with bonus CDs that haven't been opened yet. I've always been kinda nerdy about it, even with CDs and DVDs.
 
Of the few albums I have sold, if the inserts were not in perfect shape I pitched them and didn't mention them. If they were in perfect shape I did mention them but did not add to the asking price because of them.

As for the digital downloads...

Not sure it is that big of an issue at this point as that is a relatively new thing and a lot of them have expiration dates so you are talking about a very small percentage of albums for sale that have valid, unused, unexpired download coupons in them.

Forgot to add: Half of the BluRay movies I have purchased in the last year that included "Free Digital Download" codes were expired when I received them from Amazon.
 
I've been buying used albums, cd's for years off amazon, ebay, etc....

It is all over the map regarding grading. One man's VG+ is another's average.

What I found is if you find a good honest seller hold on to them like glue....
 
Thanks everyone for replying. I'm not trying to set prices for my stuff or used stuff in general. I'm just trying to figure out how to properly grade what I have bought.

Of the few albums I have sold, if the inserts were not in perfect shape I pitched them and didn't mention them. If they were in perfect shape I did mention them but did not add to the asking price because of them.

As for the digital downloads...

Not sure it is that big of an issue at this point as that is a relatively new thing and a lot of them have expiration dates so you are talking about a very small percentage of albums for sale that have valid, unused, unexpired download coupons in them.

Forgot to add: Half of the BluRay movies I have purchased in the last year that included "Free Digital Download" codes were expired when I received them from Amazon.


I didn't know many of them have expiration dates. I've bought nearly 25 albums with downloads and only one of them had a expiring download. Also try the download anyway sometimes they still work even after they expire. My parents get a lot of movies off amazon and have run into the same problems. Usually they still work or a call from my mom (who is crazy) gets a new download code.
 
I've been buying used albums, cd's for years off amazon, ebay, etc....

It is all over the map regarding grading. One man's VG+ is another's average.

What I found is if you find a good honest seller hold on to them like glue....

I second this - "If you find a good honest seller hold onto them like glue"

....I have (on both sides of the border) and go back to them over and over because they have integrity!

I also agree with KrisM - I buy lp's for the music...I am not a collector and care very little about inserts and stuff - even the cover can be far less then perfect. As long as the lp is in great shape, quiet and not warped, I'm good.

Once I have the lp - I clean it (RCM), re-sleeve it both inner and outer and take very good care of it forevermore.

With that said, if I am being charged extra for the condition of the cover, the insert, etc it sure better be in the shape it's described as.

3kitty
 
Back
Top Bottom