• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Alice's Restaraunt

Q104.3 in NYC plays it at noon, which is about the time I drive with the kids back to NJ from watching the parade. It's been our tradition for the past 18 years. Plus, thanksgiving day is the only day in the year when I can drive into Manhattan, park on the street, watch a three hour parade and get to my in-laws for the meal all inside five hours.

No Traffic...
 
Alice's Restaurant - the movie

I knew that I'd seen a movie of Alice's Restaurant a few years ago - pretty entertaining time capsule from 1969... It was pretty sporting of the police chief "Officer Obie" to play himself in the movie. from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Restaurant_(film)

Alice's Restaurant is a 1969 movie adapted from a song by Arlo Guthrie. The song is Arlo Guthrie's most famous work, a talking blues based on a true story that began on Thanksgiving Day 1965. The movie reproduces the events of the song, in addition to other scenes.

The movie is directed and co-written by Arthur Penn and stars Guthrie as himself, Pat Quinn as Alice Brock and James Broderick as Ray Brock, with the real Alice making a cameo appearance. In the scene where Ray and friends are installing insulation, she is wearing a brown turtleneck top and has her hair pulled into a ponytail. In the Thanksgiving-dinner scene, she is wearing a bright pink blouse. In the wedding scene, she is wearing a Western-style dress.

Stockbridge police chief William Obanhein ("Officer Obie") played himself in the film version, explaining to Newsweek magazine that making himself look like a fool was preferable to having somebody else make him look like a fool.

The movie version of "Alice's Restaurant" was released on August 19, 1969, a few days after Guthrie appeared at the Woodstock Festival.
 
This is the part where I am already on the floor laughing.

"And I went up there, I said, "Shrink, I want to kill. I mean, I wanna, I
wanna kill. Kill. I wanna, I wanna see, I wanna see blood and gore and
guts and veins in my teeth. Eat dead burnt bodies. I mean kill, Kill,
KILL, KILL." And I started jumpin up and down yelling, "KILL, KILL,"
and he started jumpin up and down with me and we was both jumping up and
down yelling, "KILL, KILL." And the sargent came over, pinned a medal on me,
sent me down the hall, said, "You're our boy."

Just reading it now even without Arlo's narration sets me grinning. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom