• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

ALK crossover for Forte I question

grindfix

Full time hobby
Subscriber
I have seen posts with reviews of sound impressions after ALK crossover upgrade. So far, all reviews I came across used SS amplification. I'm interested to hear what tube people say about how ALK x-overs change the sound. I can easily recap using Crites caps or any other type as well as build ALK crossovers myself and reuse the original Forte transformer. Opinions would help making decision which way to go.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I put in ALK xo's in my Forte I's a few years ago. Other gear has come and gone but the speakers stay the same. I'm really happy with the ALK networks. Found them to be a significant improvement over stock. Some fellow AKers have had a listen and describe them as smooth, open, natural/neutral.
 
I put in ALK xo's in my Forte I's a few years ago. Other gear has come and gone but the speakers stay the same. I'm really happy with the ALK networks. Found them to be a significant improvement over stock. Some fellow AKers have had a listen and describe them as smooth, open, natural/neutral.
Are you powering them with tube or SS type? I’m trying to make decision between stock recap and ALKs but don’t want to loose high frequency efficiency of stock design.
Thanks for your input
 
Are you powering them with tube or SS type? I’m trying to make decision between stock recap and ALKs but don’t want to loose high frequency efficiency of stock design.
Thanks for your input
I've powered them with both tube and SS and have no issues w/ higher frequencies. Have pushed my Fortes w/ PP and SET tube amps. For SS amps I've used class AB and class A. All have been fun and the ALK'ed Forte's have performed really well w/ all of them.
 
Thanks for your comments. Most reviews I’ve read are positive but there are some people that didn’t like the sound after ALK upgrade. I’m afraid that bias of the anticipation plays a huge role in some reviews. People do tend to hear difference after spending money on improvements and in blind tests can’t tell which set is stock and which is modified. Just like with capacitors, Wine, Scotch, etc. Lots of money could be spent without real return.
I’m not trying to be negative and disregard ALK work. Just wanted to get more opinions before I decided wether to go with stock recap or all new ALKs.
 
Last edited:
Another thing to consider is getting the Crites crossover network replacements not just caps. Mine were a dramatic improvement along with the titanium tweeter diaphragms. I've used both tube and ss amplifiers with great success.
 
I also installed the ALK crossovers in my Forte 1's. In addition I added titanium tweeter diaphragms and brand new composite mid diaphragms. My system is a 35 wpc VTA ST70 tube amp.

To me the speakers sound incredible now. Sorry I don't have ability or audio background to articulate exactly why, and what is different...but I am extremely pleased with them.
 
Thanks for your comments. Most reviews I’ve read are positive but there are some people that didn’t like the sound after ALK upgrade. I’m afraid that bias of the anticipation plays a huge roll in some reviews. People do tend to hear difference after spending money on improvements and i be heard in blind tests can’t tell which set is stock and which is modified. Just like with capacitors, Wine, Scotch, etc. Lots of money could be spent without real return.
I’m not trying to be negative and disregard ALK work. Just wanted to get more opinions before I decided wether to go with stock recap or all new ALKs.
Fair enough. As always, YMMV.
 
I also installed the ALK crossovers in my Forte 1's. In addition I added titanium tweeter diaphragms and brand new composite mid diaphragms. My system is a 35 wpc VTA ST70 tube amp.

To me the speakers sound incredible now. Sorry I don't have ability or audio background to articulate exactly why, and what is different...but I am extremely pleased with them.

I want to do the same with my Forte I's tweet and mid diaphragms some day.

What's this composite mid diaphragm? Please tell me more!

I've only heard about using the titanium ones (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JUUL3YS/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_7?smid=A1DE8D3BEYXSQE&psc=1).
 
Al's modification (IIRC) focus on making the load the speaker presents to the amplifier more balance reducing impedance swing up and down and so an easier load. I don't recall much in the way of changes to the mid and hi horns. This means your amp will sound better as it is driving an easier load. This translates into better sound from your amp.
 
Al's modification (IIRC) focus on making the load the speaker presents to the amplifier more balance reducing impedance swing up and down and so an easier load. I don't recall much in the way of changes to the mid and hi horns. This means your amp will sound better as it is driving an easier load. This translates into better sound from your amp.
Theory sounds good, I don't know if anyone actually verified that though. I'll probably will build them myself. Parts should not be too much for an experiment.
 
Theory sounds good, I don't know if anyone actually verified that though. I'll probably will build them myself. Parts should not be too much for an experiment.
It was me who talked l into doing a forte crossover I had a pair in Maryland which I had just purchased and I had offered to have them shipped directly to Al because he did not have a Forte to work on. They were not that far from him and he drove to pick them up. and after forwarded them on to me.
 
I have built and installed ALK crossovers into my Fortes about a month ago.
I installed crossovers in 2 evenings after work and listened in between, just to see if I can pick up a difference running output in mono. Speaker with new crossover was a little quieter then original one. Replacement of crossover in second speaker balanced it out. So, unless this is due to caps needing to break-in, efficiency is probably a bit lower.
I don't see it to be an issue for higher powered gear, probably mostly SS. My Sansui 9090 sounds absolutely phenomenal with upgraded crossovers. I don't know if these speakers would sound just as good with original crossovers recapped. I will never know but I love how they sound now. Higher volume - no problem. They for sure can handle more power vs. original. Absolutely no distortion.

With tubes? Not sure yet. HK TA-5000X I'm using (trying) is not great but I may have to work more bugs out before final verdict. I will try Fisher 400 next. That receiver sounds absolutely amazing with Cornwall 1 but didn't sound good with rebuilt KLF-20 and with these Fortes before crossover upgrade. Maybe Fortes, being built in 80s are not as good of a match for lower power tube gear anyway.
 
Am interested as well - will be upgrading my Fortes in the near future, so was wondering about those ALKs.
 
I built 2 sets. One for friend’s Forte II

upload_2019-12-29_22-48-3.jpeg

Somehow I can’t find pictures of my version, which is Forte I.
Be careful, values are different between models.
 
I built 2 sets. One for friend’s Forte II

View attachment 1713783

Somehow I can’t find pictures of my version, which is Forte I.
Be careful, values are different between models.

Nice work. Am on the fence with a simple re-cap of the originals, or go with Crites (seems like re-capping the originals would be pretty much the same), or try ALKs. Nice reading your comments on how the ALKs sound.
 
Fully modded Fisher 400 (as per Improving the Fisher 400 thread) sounds great with ALK modified Forte I.
I listened to same combo when I just got these Fortes about 3 months ago. I did not like sound at all and hooked-up my big Sansui 9090 to them. Then it was good but not what I've heard people praising Fortes for. After ALK upgrade I can say these speakers are several levels above original sound. Again, I don't know and probably will never know if these speakers would sound just as good after simple recap of the original crossovers.

As for Ti tweeter upgrade. I upgraded tweeters in KLF-20 I've rebuilt because stock tweeter diaphragms were horrible and dirty sounding. I don't feel the need to extend high frequency response in Forte. So far my favorite amplifiers sound pleasing with stock tweeters. Maybe one day I'd want to experiment.
 
Back
Top Bottom