• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

All about 4-track and 8-track consumer cartridge players / recorders

I have no motor run capitor issues with my still 100% original Akai 8 track player the recorders and R2R's and R2R's with type design AC motors build in with 55 year old starter caps. What can be problematic is out put pre amp resistors and caps and resistors. Akai didn't use the best of these. But the motor caps never have failed on me a still 100% on specs also in the AC fed motors in the turntables of these brands. Same with Sansui and Robbers.

I have an Akai CR80D which disagrees with you. Needs the motor run cap replaced. And does not record on one channel.
 
I am breaking into the 8-track world with a well cared for Akai CR-81D and a solid bundle of "repaired/refreshed" 8-tracks. Waiting patiently for their arrival. Thanks for the recommendations for the those more experienced than I. Looking forward to the adventure.
 
4 track has theoretical better fidelity because the track width of the recording is the same as a 4 track Reel to Reel at 3 3/4 ips where on 8 track it is the track width of a cassette tape. But in the real world it was not utilized to it's full potential. I had 4 track to begin with, then went to 8 track and then went to cassette. My first car cassette deck was a Roberts that you could record on with a microphone. Never saw another one at the time or since. I have a few 8 tracks that I play on my Akai 1800SD reel to reel that has an track recorder built in. I often wondered if it the same 8 track mechanism that Akai used in it standalone 8 track recorders.
 
Last edited:
I have an Akai CR80D which disagrees with you. Needs the motor run cap replaced. And does not record on one channel.
Motor cap bad? Happens! But its not structural. One channel out for example? Well indeed told ya, that is structural with Akai 8 tracks Cassette decks and TT's problems, amps and preamps and reels from early 70's to 1977 especially! Bad quality resistors diodes and transistors.
 
Motor cap bad? Happens! But its not structural. One channel out for example? Well indeed told ya, that is structural with Akai 8 tracks Cassette decks and TT's problems, amps and preamps and reels from early 70's to 1977 especially! Bad quality resistors diodes and transistors.

Yes, agree with you. And add to this circuit design which was pushing those component parts to their limits, with aging added to the equation.
 
I'd either go for an Akai CR-80D in mint condition, or a Pioneer HR-90 or HR-100 myself. The Technics Quadraphonic deck is another superb machine I love.
Within the last month, both an HR-99 and a CR-83D have fallen into my lap. The Pioneer has an issue with left channel distortion that I am trying to work out and I am waiting on belts for the Akai.
 
Back
Top Bottom