• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Allen Organ and Amp Recommendations?

JBConner

New Member
I recently acquired an Allen Organ and Speaker and am looking to get it up and running.
The speaker features this Allen C3 Tube amplifier as well as a rotating speaker set up.
I am looking for any recommendations for a layperson looking to get this up and running and connected to the organ. This is my first tube amp (and first organ), so basics are welcome. I am informed that the whole thing was working in the last few months when it was removed from a church. What cables will I need to connect this to the organ (or to another audio source), for instance? Any other tips and suggestions would be most welcome!


 
Register to hide this ad

thanks! That rehab looks amazing.
I’m very much a newcomer to this world, so most of that thread’s details are above my knowledge level. That said, I will dig in.

I’d welcome any recommendations as to how to actually connect this speaker to my organ. Or to another source to confirm that it’s working. It has power cable and the tubes flow when I plug it in so power is getting around, it appears.

Thanks again for the link!
 
If you have a 4 ohm speakers, then connect the 2 x 4 ohm output in parallel (use small spade jumpers).
If you have a 16 ohm speakers, then connect the 2 x 4 ohm output in serial.
If you have a 8 ohm speakers, then you are out of luck. But you can still use it in either configuration to test which one sounds better.

This amplifier is built like a tank (especially the OT), so you won't damage anything.
 
I could be wrong but I think the question is more about input as it appears the speaker is already hooked up.

The left side of the amp has two inputs which use an older style coax, not sure of the proper name for it. It looks like input 1 has a wire connected, the other end of that would be connected to organ output. For use with other sources you would either make a cable with the coax on one end and RCA on the other, or replace input 2 with an RCA jack, though I'm not sure if the impedance and gain of that input would be suitable for line level as-is. You would want a source with a volume control or a preamp.
 
Last edited:
From Brice's thread, that C3 chassis may have been limited to just being used in the Gyrophonic Projector, so searching for connection details between any Allen organ and the Gyro may be what you need to focus on. I'd suggest that The Organ Forum is a good place to post on that topic.
 
It's interesting that the VR tube is in series with the screens, rather than being connected in shunt to provide regulation. Leslie did that too.

Jack
 
I could be wrong but I think the question is more about input as it appears the speaker is already hooked up.

The left side of the amp has two inputs which use an older style coax, not sure of the proper name for it. It looks like input 1 has a wire connected, the other end of that would be connected to organ output. For use with other sources you would either make a cable with the coax on one end and RCA on the other, or replace input 2 with an RCA jack, though I'm not sure if the impedance and gain of that input would be suitable for line level as-is. You would want a source with a volume control or a preamp.

Yes, this is my first question/concern.

I have 4 cut wires coming out of the organ. (One is thicker than the other 3 and I assume that had a female 4 pin plug to connect to the “switch” male plug you can see in the whole speaker picture. But that’s is just a guess).

I hope to figure out

A) where to connect them in the amp/speaker?

B) How do I prepare the wires make that connection since they were severed when the organ was removed from the church?
 
Yes, this is my first question/concern.

I have 4 cut wires coming out of the organ. (One is thicker than the other 3 and I assume that had a female 4 pin plug to connect to the “switch” male plug you can see in the whole speaker picture. But that’s is just a guess).

I hope to figure out

A) where to connect them in the amp/speaker?

B) How do I prepare the wires make that connection since they were severed when the organ was removed from the church?

inputs and plug close up attached.
 

Attachments

  • 7722E3D1-65CF-462A-A7E3-9D0B408D9D64.jpeg
    7722E3D1-65CF-462A-A7E3-9D0B408D9D64.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 12
That I don't know, possible that it requires an umbilical to get power from the power supply, but I don't know specifically about that organ unfortunately.
 
From Brice's thread, that C3 chassis may have been limited to just being used in the Gyrophonic Projector, so searching for connection details between any Allen organ and the Gyro may be what you need to focus on. I'd suggest that The Organ Forum is a good place to post on that topic.
Thanks,
Can you point me to the organ forum in here?
Disregard. I assume you meant this place?
https://organforum.com/forums/
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom