• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Allison Acoustics AV200 - any info or opinions

special_20

Active Member
A pair of Allison Acoustics AV200 speakers have popped up locally. I know of Allison Allison Acoustics by reputation. Does anyone know much about this model? I've searched google and the audiokarma page and I'm coming up with zero info.

Is anyone familiar with this model?

does anyone by chance have marketing or spec sheets?

Anyone have personal experience with this model they would like to share?

Are these worth picking up or are they an off model from the latter years of the company?
 
Register to hide this ad
Never heard of that model, you might want to visit http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/ and ask the monks of the New England Order if they know anything about them.
My previous post I made a boo boo, I meant to type MS-200 but either way I was still wrong.

Allisons are a nice speaker overall but it’s always best to audition them if you can, there are 2 things you need to keep in mind, 1. Do they need a woofer re-foam? 2. Are the tweeters damaged as they can be expensive to locate and replace.
It has happened before that 1 or both drivers have been replaced with generic ones which is a deal killer; Are you able to get a nudie pic of the drivers?
 
I suspect those bear little resemblance to classic Allisons. Note the Kentucky address. Allison was located in MA when Roy Allison was involved. I couldn't find a detailed history of the company online, but I'd guess that some time after Roy left, it was sold off to someone who wanted to capitalize on the name.
 
Allison was bought out and move south early nineties. They did make AV speakers under new owners.
 
They are tiny low end for allisons do NOT have the magic CONVEX tweeter ! i suppose you should/ could use them for the ATMOS speakers in a modern HT 11.2 system!
The Allison Acoustics AV-200 is a vintage, compact Hi-Fi bookshelf speaker designed by Roy Allison, designed for home audio/video use. Known for using 4-inch woofer drivers, they are often maintained today with specialized 4-inch foam repair kits. They are known for high-quality audio reproduction, often featured in vintage speaker forums.

Moderator note: ebay links removed as that breaks AK rules

Key Details regarding Allison Acoustics AV-200:

  • Design: Compact, two-way bookshelf/surround speaker designed for home audio and video applications.
  • Dimensions: Approximately 11 inches high, 5.8 inches long, and 5 inches wide.
  • Weight: Approximately 11.5 lbs per pair.
  • Components: Typically uses 4-inch woofers, which frequently require foam surround replacement over time.
  • Reconing/Repair: Specialized, high-density 4-inch foam surrounds are required to maintain the original sound specifications of the Roy Allison design.

Moderator note: ebay links removed as that breaks AK rules

These speakers are part of the legacy of Allison Acoustics, known for designing speakers for real room environments (often referred to as room-matched or acoustic-power design). [1]1777718177150.png
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom