• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 15's for $900?

Register to hide this ad
Not a great deal, but not that bad either they look decent, although I don't see grills.
ask how long ago they were re-foamed, and who did the work? negotiate them down and check em out well,
Yea 19's for $150 is everyones dream find.
Ops my bad the grills are there
 
I see the grills. I have a pair of 15s and unfortunately mine were thrown away when the original owner saw the foam rot which is common with Altecs.

How do you like your 15's? Any other speakers you've owned and how do they compare?
What would you say the 15's excel at?
I'm guessing dynamics and sort of a "live" sound?
Do you find them harsh at all?
FWIW I currently have KEF, Tannoy, and Legacy Focus. I tend to like a warm-ish sound...not super-colored, but not into ear-bleed/shrieking.
 
As with most horns, They will show and highlight a less than premium front end.
That I'm sure your Tannoys do as well.
I had the 14's and 15's, both surprisingly good for Smallish speakers. I use Strictly 15" ers now
Weather or not they will be better than what you have now is questionable
 
They appear to be in Great condition. I would jump at that price. Altec's are not getting cheaper. The Altec sound is Beautiful with a quality Tube amp.
 
I doubt you would find them better. A good Garage speaker,Nice Bass, great highs, But ! found them lacking for lower mids, Male Vocals, and Screaming Guitars
 
Last edited:
The model 15 used to be found fairly easily for 500 or less, but they have gone up in price significantly since a couple years ago. I sold my last pair for $1000 or so, and the wood on them was not in great shape, though they did work fine. I thought they sounded absolutely awful, but I am not a fan of horn speakers or Altec speakers in general.

Mine had clearly been used hard and put away wet, and I had to replace several blown resistors and capacitors in the crossovers. The capacitors they used in those are garbage and should definitely be replaced if they haven’t been already.
 
How do you like your 15's? Any other speakers you've owned and how do they compare?
What would you say the 15's excel at?
I'm guessing dynamics and sort of a "live" sound?
Do you find them harsh at all?
FWIW I currently have KEF, Tannoy, and Legacy Focus. I tend to like a warm-ish sound...not super-colored, but not into ear-bleed/shrieking.

At 65 yrs old and long time loud music hard rock I'm not going to be an expert. I have them hooked up with my Altec 19s and a Marantz 2325.
 
Back
Top Bottom