• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 604-xxx. Whats the best bang for the buck

elitopus

Addicted Member
I recently aquired a pair of empty model 17 (620) cabs. I have been looking on the 'bay at different 604 models. Please help me understand which is the best value for the performance. Please post any corrections to
my notes;)

604-RWB
Looks like the first gen. Paper surround. AlNiCo magnets. Too expensive for me

604-B
Looks the same as above

604-C/D
Same as above except they switched to cloth surrounds. This is the generation (or G model) I would like if I can find a deal

604-E-Red
I have only seen a few of these and they look nice. Not sure what the difference is between the C/D version

604-G
Type used in the model 17. I am assuming these would have been original equipment in my model 17 cabs

604-H
Gpa version. Ferrite magnets. I would consider a pair of these if I could afford them. From the perspective of wanting a matching stereo pair, these would be "brand new"

604-LN
I dont know what these are. AlNiCo magnets and new style frames

604-HPLN
Same as above except the ads claim them to be high power. I am assuming these are similar to the 904 with heavier cones

604-X
Ferrite magnets. These go for pretty cheap on ebay. Like 400 bucks each or less. They claim to be "studio monitors" and have the mantaray horn.

904
Newer, high power PA version of the 604. I really would not even consider this model unless they were very cheap.



Any insight would be great. I would like to know more about each model if possible. I would be willing to pay around a grand for a pair. Less would be great. I will be waiting for a deal to pop up. No full ebay prices for me.
Also I would consider getting frames and having them reconed if that is my best finacial move
 
Register to hide this ad
You may want to post this over in the Speakers forum. Just leave out the money talk.

With no budget cap, I'd buy the B's.
 
I wish there wasn't a money cap but there is. I am looking for the best sonic bang for my buck.

Maybe the best bet is to get the 604g that would have originally came in my model 17 cabs. That would definitely make them worth more as a whole.
 
Yes the hostboard might be a better place for the question. I have been a member there for a little while there but have not posted much. I always think we should have an Altec section here on AK but then I remember Altec already has its own forum :)
 
I've been curious about the Great Plains Audio 604s....and have looked at their site a time or two. But I believe they don't list prices.

Does anyone know what they ask for their 604s?

Sure I'd like a pair of Bs.....but the cost! And dealing with the age of them.
I'm coming around to the idea.....if I could afford a pair....New would be nice, hence.....GPA.
 
I've been curious about the Great Plains Audio 604s....and have looked at their site a time or two. But I believe they don't list prices.

Does anyone know what they ask for their 604s?

Sure I'd like a pair of Bs.....but the cost! And dealing with the age of them.
I'm coming around to the idea.....if I could afford a pair....New would be nice, hence.....GPA.

Per GPA's eBay store, the 604 8H is $950 ea w/dividing network.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altec-Lansi...080693?hash=item4d386bf3f5:g:MEIAAOSwuTxV~NJA

I recently aquired a pair of empty model 17 (620) cabs. I have been looking on the 'bay at different 604 models. Please help me understand which is the best value for the performance. Please post any corrections to
my notes;)

I'd save up for a pair from GPA and be done.

Not likely to be that much more expensive after all's said and done - especially if the vintage speakers and/or crossovers need any servicing or repairs.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom