• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec 806A + 511B + JBL K130 = Altec VOTT?

ABMOGGY

New Member
Hello,
I like to know what AKers think about this plan. I have a pair of Altec 806A-16 with 511B horns. I can get a pair of JBL K-130 15" speakers for cheap. I read that the K-130 is a vocal/musical instrument speaker. Would they make a good substitute for the Altec 416/516 in the VOTT cabinet? I was thinking of building a copy of an Altec A7 VOTT clone using these drivers. :D If they are not what are some suggestions for cabs.
Thanks!

ABMOGGY :)
 
Register to hide this ad
I don't know about the JBL woofer but the crossover will have to be at 800hz with that 806 driver, an 802 driver will go down to 500hz, the 511B works fine at either frequency. Just my $.02, Dave. :scratch2:
 
Though the 806 was generally used with 800hz horns and crossovers they work fine crossed at 500hz, with an appropriate horn of course.
 
i've used the JBL k-140 many times as a PA woofer, tried it as home audio, never worked good at all, if you can get a pair of cheap, i'd be interested as i've got an empty bass cab that sounded GREAT but had mismatched jbl e-130 and a k-140 but the 130 would reak havoc by not being able to handle the low frequencies
 
Back
Top Bottom