• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Lansing Model 1...Got Info??

hspLOBO

Active Member
I just picked up a pair of Altec Lansing model 1 speakers today. I've found little information regarding model 1 on the web. The speakers are in good condition and I'll hook them up over the weekend, but was curious if any one in AK land had any background on quality/performance of these speakers. I'm mostly familiar with altec lansing computer speakers. The cabinets on these are fairly stout and the woofer surrounds don't appear to be foam......any insight would be appreciated. thank you
 
Register to hide this ad
i've had two pair, apparently from two different series. the tweeters were the difference. the woofer is a good quality 8 incher with alnico magnets and rubber surrounds. i traded mine to another AK'er. the tweeters in one pair were CTS and the other pair were phenolic ring, probably also CTS.

for their size, they are not bad speakers, but they are pretty inefficient. the crossover is nothing more than a capacitor and a pot.

i parted out both pairs i had because the cabinets were beyond repair.
 
thanks folks, appreciate the feedback and information. These are the third pair of speakers I've purchased over the past month. Can't help myself when prices are to good to pass up. I'm going to give these altec's a listen tomorrow.
 
I just picked up a pair of Altec Lansing model 1 speakers today. I've found little information regarding model 1 on the web. The speakers are in good condition and I'll hook them up over the weekend, but was curious if any one in AK land had any background on quality/performance of these speakers. I'm mostly familiar with altec lansing computer speakers. The cabinets on these are fairly stout and the woofer surrounds don't appear to be foam......any insight would be appreciated. thank you
The Model One was released in 1978. Handles 20 watts/channel. Efficient and fits on a bookshelf. Performed very well. I used to own this model in the early 1980's. I used my pair with a Fisher 201 receiver. Among the last of the Anaheim, CA built Altec-Lansing loudspeakers, so they are real Altecs. I liked how they sounded.
 
Back
Top Bottom