• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Altec Valencia trade

ddragg1

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello and happy holidays. I'm searching for some advise. I have an opportunity to trade for an early set of Altec Valencia speakers. Serial 2180 with 416-z and 806a drivers. Green ones. Speakers are nice with one lattice piece missing from one speaker. Guy will trade me even for a Mac 2105 with cabinet. I haven't used the Mac in years. What are your thoughts? I am speaker rich and really don't need any more, but then again, I always do. I have plenty of options to drive the Valencia. Thanks for helping make this decision.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20251214_170522.jpg
    IMG_20251214_170522.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20251214_170527.jpg
    IMG_20251214_170527.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 30
Register to hide this ad
I had a pair of the later ones. A speaker that I could live with for the rest of my life even though it took a good deal of space in my small room. But another AKer really wanted a pair, and I have several other speakers that I would be equally happy with, so off they went. The midrange is really what makes them so delightful - it isn't perfect but, boy, it is persuasive. The upper treble isn't there nor is the lowest bass, but you can add a super tweeter and good subwoofers like the REL can do wonders.
I can only suggest that you should listen to them, preferably with in your room with your system - which is a big if, since moving them isn't a trivial undertaking.
 
I had a pair of the later ones. A speaker that I could live with for the rest of my life even though it took a good deal of space in my small room. But another AKer really wanted a pair, and I have several other speakers that I would be equally happy with, so off they went. The midrange is really what makes them so delightful - it isn't perfect but, boy, it is persuasive. The upper treble isn't there nor is the lowest bass, but you can add a super tweeter and good subwoofers like the REL can do wonders.
I can only suggest that you should listen to them, preferably with in your room with your system - which is a big if, since moving them isn't a trivial undertaking.
I owned a pair of 846b years ago. I actually ran them with the 2105 and they sounded really nice and could rattle the house. I was also thinking money wise too. If this is a fair trade or would the 2105 hold more value.
 
I wonder if those used to be mine? I had a pair with one having a missing grille about 10 years ago. After I had my fun with them they went to an ak member in RI.
Sorry I can't help with you on the trade value other than the Altecs don't show up as often here in New England as a 2105 does.
 
If you love the Valencia they're going to be harder to acquire elsewhere, and prohibitive to ship. Altecs are holding value well, but speakers are always harder to sell. Especially big ones.

The numbers of either are pretty set in the market, not many hiding in corners anymore.
 
I have a pair of Valencia's and a pair of Flamenco's and highly recommend them, especially with tubes.
 
I'm not sure that recapping would be neccessary. I wondered about it, and there seem to be different schools of thought about whether the caps are likely to out of spec, and whether changing cap types would be an improvement at all. I remember the equivalent modern caps being somewhat pricey, even if you stick with electrolytics.
 
I picked up a pair of AR speakers, great cabinets, dark grilles, poor sound. Wondered what I’d ever do with them. Opportunity came up to swap for an amp an eq and receiver, two throw ins to bring up to similar value. I was thrilled with the trade, moving the EQ to a friend and making the true BPC Technics receiver a shop unit as it was versatile. Enjoyed the amp for a time and Easily boxed it up and shipped after selling it for a fair price. I could not have sold the speakers at a price plus shipping.

Just mentioning this as you say you aren’t excited about the amp or speakers. If you need to move them, which will be easier to unload. The idea of at least trying the speakers is valid, too.

As to the BPC receiver, the plastic faceplate has a couple screws holding it in place then it Unclips from the chassis and come off. True BPC, but it has pre/power connections 60 watts a side and does fine as a test unit on the bench and I have essentially nothing in it.

Looking forward to the post about the trade and what you think of the speakers.
 
I picked up a pair of AR speakers, great cabinets, dark grilles, poor sound. Wondered what I’d ever do with them. Opportunity came up to swap for an amp an eq and receiver, two throw ins to bring up to similar value. I was thrilled with the trade, moving the EQ to a friend and making the true BPC Technics receiver a shop unit as it was versatile. Enjoyed the amp for a time and Easily boxed it up and shipped after selling it for a fair price. I could not have sold the speakers at a price plus shipping.

Just mentioning this as you say you aren’t excited about the amp or speakers. If you need to move them, which will be easier to unload. The idea of at least trying the speakers is valid, too.

As to the BPC receiver, the plastic faceplate has a couple screws holding it in place then it Unclips from the chassis and come off. True BPC, but it has pre/power connections 60 watts a side and does fine as a test unit on the bench and I have essentially nothing in it.

Looking forward to the post about the trade and what you think of the speakers.
I'll let you know if I move forward with the trade. Thanks for your response.
 
Of course, to those of us who are inveterate speaker samplers, the infeasibility of shipping and still making a profit (or even breaking even) may be a blessing in disguise. If you like a big speaker enough to have brought it home, the difficulty of moving it on may be a justification for stopping the buying and then selling cycle. At some point, good enough is sufficient, and simplifying life is a bigger goal than achieving the ultimate system.
I'll let you know when I get there...
 
Back
Top Bottom