• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Altec Valencias almost done!

I already have a set of the Flamencos with the matching equipment cabinet, and a set of Altec 846bs with the new GPA 902-8 drivers, however, I still could find room somewhere around here for a pair of those.

Did you guys see what the last set of 19s went for on that auction site? Man-o-man crazy.

Yeah, and the prices just keep trending higher and higher.
 
Quagh,

I'll post photos Thanksgiving week as my brother Dave and I make up the new grills.

Yeah I didn't mean to be a rag but I have a pair I need to do myself. Always helps to see how others do it. I'll look at as many different approaches as I can and then figure out which one is best for me based on tools, time, costs, etc.

I'm just a nosey SOB!
 
Here is a website I found some time ago and lost it.
This is what is on my altecs
http://www.brass-grilles.co.uk/decorative_grilles_wood.html
I think this works excellent. - pretty too.
I'll post pics of mine in a bit.

Mark

But if this is a UK site did you have them shipped from there or did you find a source stateside? Thanks a ton for this link. I've been trying to get some made for mine (replica's) and tried and tried and tried but in the end it was too costly. I could've had it done for like 3-400/pair.

Thanks Again!
 
Wow, those look great - nice job! :thmbsp: I thought that I was seeing something bright and shiny on the horizon lately whenever I looked south!
 
But if this is a UK site did you have them shipped from there or did you find a source stateside? Thanks a ton for this link. I've been trying to get some made for mine (replica's) and tried and tried and tried but in the end it was too costly. I could've had it done for like 3-400/pair.

Thanks Again!

There is a place state side. I haven't found it again - still looking. The ones on my altecs were there when I got them. I'll see if I can dig it up. I thought I had book marked it too, biut I sure as heck can't seem to find it.

Mark
 
here ae pics of mine with the grilles

The flash from the camera shows the grey speakers/baffles. In real life they look much better.
 

Attachments

  • P1010010.jpg
    P1010010.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 124
  • P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 102
Here's the risers just about done. I used the original wood, but it was in bad shape and the best option was to fill the missing chunks and paint the risers semi-gloss black. They came out better than I thought they would.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF4629.jpg
    DSCF4629.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 50
  • DSCF4631.jpg
    DSCF4631.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Here's the risers just about done. I used the original wood, but it was in bad shape and the best option was to fill the missing chunks and paint the risers semi-gloss black. They came out better than I thought they would.

I had to do the exact same thing with my risers. Yours look great. :thmbsp:
 
here ae pics of mine with the grilles

The flash from the camera shows the grey speakers/baffles. In real life they look much better.

Thanks for the link! I was thinking about something like this (without steel mesh backing).....2" spacing between bars and maybe doing some sheer black standard covers behind them.
 

Attachments

  • GRB-54-aFLR-FM_250_wm_bg.jpg
    GRB-54-aFLR-FM_250_wm_bg.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 14
Here's the risers just about done. I used the original wood, but it was in bad shape and the best option was to fill the missing chunks and paint the risers semi-gloss black. They came out better than I thought they would.

Risers look great by the way! Can't wait to see the finished product!

As for having these on mine.....not yet.

I was attempting to determine the thickness of these and they came back with 5mm/.196" or something south of 1/4". Sounds damn thick to me for brass or brass plated steel. My old (OEM) grills are .230" thick and the opening measures about .350".
 
Last edited:
Ya know, looking at them now, I think the black risers make a better color scheme than the originally finished risers. But, maybe that's just my foolish "I did that" pride.
 
I didn't like the looks of the rather yellowish looking back board and the unfinished rear 3/4" edges of the sides, top and bottom. So they also got a coat of semi-gloss black. Likewise, I think another coat of paint is in order.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF4637.jpg
    DSCF4637.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCF4638.jpg
    DSCF4638.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 38
Risers look great by the way! Can't wait to see the finished product!

As for having these on mine.....not yet.

I was attempting to determine the thickness of these and they came back with 5mm/.196" or something south of 1/4". Sounds damn thick to me for brass or brass plated steel. My old (OEM) grills are .230" thick and the opening measures about .350".

That sounds pretty thick to me too!
 
Back
Top Bottom