• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Alternate 7-segment display sought

I've been following this thread (as well as your original post concerning the replacement of just one segement) and hopefully you'll be successful in accomplishing this challeng that you are facing in regards to replacing 'all' of the segments in your SAE 8000 FM tuner.
The SAE 8000 FM tuner is an "expectional" tuner! I've been after one for sometime now and have come across a couple but the asking price was just way too much. Maybe soon, one of these days I'll get one.
Again, good luck on your project and post pictures once you've completed the final outcome.

EDIT** By the way, exactly what are the differences between the SAE 8000 FM tuner and the SAE MARK VIII tuner? Is one better than the other?

Yes it's pretty impressive. I get the long beach jazz station that's 50 miles and two mountain ranges away.

There's a 8000 on the auction site. Appears to need LEDs as well though.

Better figure out a good replacement.

Eric
 
Eric, wondering why some of those ICs on the board are
socketed while others are not. Was it repaired earlier?
Someone mentioned it earlier - check to see if it's a
loosely seated or failed chip connected to the non-working digit.
 
Eric, wondering why some of those ICs on the board are
socketed while others are not. Was it repaired earlier?
Someone mentioned it earlier - check to see if it's a
loosely seated or failed chip connected to the non-working digit.

I know one of the LEDs has been replaced.
I will check the chips but given the hand built nature of this beast I'm guessing it's stock.

Thanks

Eric
 
I need to replace the 7-segment displays in my SAE 8000 tuner and I can't seem to find the requisite DL747 that should be in there.

Does anyone know where either I can find 4 DL747s or if the following ebay item will work?

370286670213

Thanks

Eric

Here's what I have in there now:


the data sheet has a glaring error
according to the datasheet, DL747's have a pin row spacing of 0.3" and a pin to pin spacing of 0.1",
and your picture looks more like a pin row spacing of 0.6".
the drawing itself shows closer to 0.6" row spacing.



They look a lot like some old 7 segment displays I have, with the dp in the correct place AND that L in the right place.

I am checking more closely, so far they seem to have the DL747 pinout and are common anode.

add:
This also means that the pc board patterns on YOUR display pc board match MY LEDS. still checking.

segment and dp pins are arranged the same

these may be worth the postage to try.

PM me.
 
Last edited:
those DO NOT look like DL747's
according to the datasheet, DL747's have a pin row spacing of 0.3" and a pin to pin spacing of 0.1",
and your picture looks more like a pin row spacing of 0.6".

They look a lot like some old 7 segment displays I have, with the dp in the correct place AND that L in the right place.

I am checking more closely, so far they seem to have the DL747 pinout and are common anode.

add:
This also means that the pc board patterns on YOUR display pc board match MY LEDS. still checking.


Until this line is removed the post is unfinished.

If your holding I'm interested. I've been too busy with work to do any looking so this would be great if you could hook me up.

Thanks

Eric
 
the data sheet has a glaring error
according to the datasheet, DL747's have a pin row spacing of 0.3" and a pin to pin spacing of 0.1",
and your picture looks more like a pin row spacing of 0.6".
the drawing itself shows closer to 0.6" row spacing.



They look a lot like some old 7 segment displays I have, with the dp in the correct place AND that L in the right place.

I am checking more closely, so far they seem to have the DL747 pinout and are common anode.

add:
This also means that the pc board patterns on YOUR display pc board match MY LEDS. still checking.

segment and dp pins are arranged the same

these may be worth the postage to try.

PM me.

Hi Mark,

I noted the same thing in post #16, the row to row spacing just didn't look like 7 mm (0.3"). When I counted the lower row of 0.1" spaced pads below the vertical oriented display pads in Eric's photo, they came out to 15 mm spacing or 0.6. That's why I suggested he measure to be sure. Certainly have seen a lot of datasheets with erroneous info, but lead spacing would surely get their attention? Seems though that this particular Litronix datasheet is the only one found. I used to have so many of those databooks too, sigh!


The pinout, as it turns out, is actually pretty standard among a lot of LED segmented dispays, common anode. Similarly, common cathode versions share their own standardized pinout. Size wise though, these displays come in all shapes and sizes but the 0.6 to almost 1 inch will fit in here if the outer package can be accommodated side by side.
 
the data sheet has a glaring error
according to the datasheet, DL747's have a pin row spacing of 0.3" and a pin to pin spacing of 0.1",
and your picture looks more like a pin row spacing of 0.6".
the drawing itself shows closer to 0.6" row spacing.



They look a lot like some old 7 segment displays I have, with the dp in the correct place AND that L in the right place.

I am checking more closely, so far they seem to have the DL747 pinout and are common anode.

add:
This also means that the pc board patterns on YOUR display pc board match MY LEDS. still checking.

segment and dp pins are arranged the same

these may be worth the postage to try.

PM me.

If your holding I'm interested. I've been too busy with work to do any looking so this would be great if you could hook me up.

Thanks

Eric

PM sent.
 
Hopefully, the ones I sent USPS Monday have arrived.

Not the prettiest in the world, but they will be hiding behind a red screen.

:lurk:
 
Mark

Yes your displays have arrived and they look like they are an exact replacement.

I might have another problem though as certain segments are permanently out while others seem to work when part of a 7 say but not a 9.

I reseated the ICs on the board and I'm about to check for bad solder joints on the underside of the PCB but I'm wondering if what's inside the shielding box might need cleaning???

Any ideas before I proceed?

Thanks

Eric
 
Hi there,

Just bought a SAE Mark VIII (8000) for acompanying my Sumo Nine Plus in the USA and I knew the LED's could be a problem.
I followed this thread with interest but I was not able to distract which substitude LED's '62sunbeam' used in the end for his SAE 8000 Tuner and which additional steps must be taken to perform this operation.

It's a 120 Volt unit of course and I'm living in Europe with 220/230 Volts.
Is it easy to convert it two the higher (like 240Volts) AC Voltage.

Thanks in advance
 
62 Sunbeam, I just joined this forum because I came across 3 DL747 led's and was trying to see how much they were going for and came across your post. They are brand new in bubble pack from Jim-pak. They are .600 high and red. If interested let me know. Sparky2607
 
Back
Top Bottom