• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Am I crazy?.....

raymeedc

Active Member
I presently have four systems set up in my house, 2 Dynaco A-25s, 1 Dynaco A-25XL, & 1 Advent/1. I recently did a little spring cleaning & sold 2 of the 3 sets of Advents I owned. I sold a set of Original Large Advents & a set of New Large Advents, preferring the Advent/1 pair to both of these. The larger Advents go slightly deeper, but the Advent/1's low end is tighter, yielding a little more clarity in the bass department(same drivers, smaller cabinet), more important to me, while still going deep enough. Am I crazy, as I've never heard anyone say they prefer the Advent/1s over the Large Advents?
P.S. - By the way, my Advent/1s are real wood veneer, which a lot of people think don't exist. Even in the famous "definitive" Advent model history thread on this site, it is stated that these only came in vinyl.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I prefer the New Advent to the Advent/1, but I'm a bit of a closet basshead.

I seen a few (very few) examples of wood-veneered Advent/1's myself, so you 'll get no argument from me on that point.
 
Don't know about crazy.

Pretty nervy though, embracing what you like instead of what you perceive others expect you should like. :thmbsp:
 
I'm certifiable. I'd been listening to these either upside down or with the grill on backwards...didnt find out until I viewed the photo....stil dont know as my favorite Advents are out of rotation and back in the closet.
 
Last edited:
Crazy?? Nah, no more so than any of the rest of us on here afflicted with the audio virus.

And good on you for using your ears to decide what sounds best to you, not someone else's opinions.
 
Oh man...now I'm gonna have to drag my Advent/1s out from the garage (currently powered by my Technics SA-101) and give them another listen with one of my "bigger" receivers. They sound pretty good on the little SA-101, but I've never heard Large Advents to compare. I do think mine need a recap, as the highs aren't as crisp and clear as I had expected. They needed refoaming when I bought them from a thrift last year, so caps wouldn't be unexpected (by me anyway).
Jeff
 
I agree with being institutionalized, as long as you're put in a room with a great sound system!:D
 
Back
Top Bottom