• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amazon Echo Dot with my vintage system??

Hemifun

New Member
OK, I'm pretty tech ignorant, I'll get that out of the way up front! But my daughter just got an Amazon Echo Dot and it really intrigues me. Simple question (I hope) is there some way to have the Echo Dot play thru my vintage system which consists of a Marantz 2270 receiver and JBL L65 speakers? Would my receiver have to be left on all the time, which I wouldn't want to do? HELP!!
 
Register to hide this ad
Sure, you plug one end of this into the Dot and the other ends into any unused inputs (except Phono) on the Marantz.

If you want to use just the speaker in the Dot then you'll need to unplug the cable from the Dot, since the speaker turns off when you use the output jack.

70419547.jpg
 
Sure, you plug one end of this into the Dot and the other ends into any unused inputs (except Phono) on the Marantz.

If you want to use just the speaker in the Dot then you'll need to unplug the cable from the Dot, since the speaker turns off when you use the output jack.

70419547.jpg
Wow, it's that simple? Of course I'll have to turn on my receiver every time I want to use the Echo, right??
 
If you want the Dot sound through the receiver then, yes, the Dot needs to be On, the receiver needs to be On and the proper input selected, and the two connected by the cable.

If you want sound only from the Dot then you have to unplug the cable from the Dot regardless if the stereo is on or off.

I would, however, recommend at least turning down the volume and changing the source on the stereo before unplugging the Dot to preclude the possibility of a nasty noise from the stereo.
 
As for the Dot, I tried it for awhile and found that the same music from the Amazon cloud sounds better via my laptop to Modi/Magni to my preamp (at the time, now I have the Integrated) than via the Dot. FWIW. Since switched to Tidal, and have yet to connect Chromecast Audio. However, I anticipate better SQ when I do send the digital signal to the Levinson's DAC.

I think Chromecast Audio a better choice than the Dot, and requires no significant difference in outlay, as both are affordable.
 
I have a dot connected to my vintage system (c28 + mc2125), sounds great for streaming spotify. I also bought a wifi plug and have the c28 plugged into it and use alexa to power it up (c28 have switched volume pot
 
Chromecast Audio sounds better, but Echo Dot is easier to use as a stand alone situation. Amazon Music comes with your Prime subscription, but you can link other services (but not Tidal or Google Music Play), to it truly is a standalone solution. To control Chromecast Audio you need your phone or a Google Home or Mini, but the Dot works all by itself, and sounds "good enough," but Chromecast Audio, with its 24 bit capability is what you want if you want the very best sound. I have two Echo Dots connected to Minimus 7 systems and they get lots of use.
 
Last edited:
There is a work around for the echo dot jack shutting off the internal speaker if you’re willing to mod your dot. I didnt want to have to have the amplifier on all the time to hear alexa, so I modded mine to switch to internal speaker when the amp is off. I took a video showing how it works with bedroom system:
If you want to see where the connections are made inside the echo dot, I can post it.
 
Fwiw I can’t hear any difference between chromecast, airport express or echo dot from their line out jacks.
 
Neither can I on most systems, but on this one the difference between Chromecast Audio and my Dot is pretty obvious; rolled off highs and lows, less dynamic range etc. I decided not to use it on my main system. IMO Echo Dot/Amazon Music sounds like noise free FM and not even as good as Google Music Play (320 mbps mp3) via Chromecast Audio. Chromecast Audio on the other hand, fed with a high quality 24 bit file sounds absolutely fantastic. In short, for smaller systems where you aren't doing "critical listening" - whatever that is - I think the Echo Dot solution is great.
20171124_064152[1].jpg
 
Last edited:
I use the Echo Dot connected to the amp in my shop and love it, as I can come and go, tell it to play playlists from Spotify, stop, start, increase and decrease volume, and skip songs all without having to use my hands. The Dot works really well with Spotify Connect. (I did have to change the name from "Alexa" to "Echo" due to wifely objections!)
 
If you only listen to the Dot as source I recommend an amp that has auto turn on when souce is present. I use a Dayton Audio APA150 with a dot in my bedroom system.
 
One other solution for the dot... Get a bluetooth Adapter for the marantz, attach the audio into the Marantz AUX as well as plug its power into the switched power outlet. Connect the Dot via the BT adapter for playback. When you turn the marantz off, the dot will disconnect and the internal speaker will be back and working. When you turn the Marantz on, the BT adapter will auto connect back to the Dot. The Fidelity takes a little hit as your on BT but for me at least, its acceptable.
 
Be aware that the Dot is listening to you(and your family) and recording what you say. Ask me how I know!!

Planning your next crime spree but the SWAT team kicked down your door before the big event?

Actually, the bigger question is what makes you think you're saying anything that anyone of material significance really cares about?
 
Planning your next crime spree but the SWAT team kicked down your door before the big event?

Actually, the bigger question is what makes you think you're saying anything that anyone of material significance really cares about?

I personally don't care, but I think everyone using these devices should be advised that they are being listened in on. A lawyer in a divorce case might be considered of "material significance" if one of the partners found evidence of infidelity on the Amazon website. I can think of other scenarios, but so can anyone else, so I won't post a list. Every user should be aware that they have a listening device in their home, IMO.
 
I agree that people should be aware that they have a listening device in their homes, but Amazon and Google claim they only save what you say after the keyword. Both allow you to see and delete the information they record. If you find evidence that they are lying let me know, I would love to be part of a class action lawsuit against companies with pockets this deep.

That being said, I use the Echo Dot in my kitchen to feed a small Airplay speaker that stays on all the time and has an aux input. However, I have a vintage Marantz in the living room that connects to a device that works with Bluetooth (Yamaha WXC-50). I also have the Marantz connected to an iHome Plug that can be used to turn it on and off with Alexa. When I want to hear music from the Marantz, I tell Alexa to send audio to stereo and for it to turn on the stereo. Then I tell it what to play. It works great. This allows me to use the Dot in two separate rooms without a separate controller. One downside to this type of setup is that if you want to send the Echo Dot a Bluetooth signal from your phone, it will only play over the Aux. It can't currently send and receive Bluetooth at the same time (at least last time I checked).

It should be mentioned that you can also use a Chromecast Audio with a Google Home if you have a subscription to one of their supported music services. It works great with Google Play music. It almost feels like the song starts before you finish the sentence. However, Google makes me more paranoid about gathering my data and using it to make money, so I prefer Amazon for my main areas. I have a Home Mini and a Spot in my Office. I use the Echo more often, but I do think the Home+Chromecast Audio gives you better sound quality (assuming you are using your own DAC) and also has a higher IQ if you want to ask it a bunch of random questions.
 
Back
Top Bottom