• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

America's first commercial radio station celebrates its 90th birthday today

Register to hide this ad
I don't think any of us kids can really imagine how "high tech" radio was, and how heady the times were, in 1921.
 
Good for them!
I'm proud to have been a part of the station.
When I was working there the Asst. PD had come from the aforementioned KDKA...
 
I listen to 'em in the car pretty much every morning en route to work.

When we're in Baltimore (particularly in the wintertime when DXing is best), we usually tune 'em in as we're hitting the road homeward (6am) to see what the weather is gonna be like upon our return to MA.
 
Good for them!
I'm proud to have been a part of the station.
When I was working there the Asst. PD had come from the aforementioned KDKA...

When were you in BOS (just out of curiosity)?

PS I am/have been a big fan of "your" radio station in MD (in case I hadn't mentioned that before).
 
Radio and Records

I don't think any of us kids can really imagine how "high tech" radio was, and how heady the times were, in 1921.
Agreed. We also forget what an effect radio had on the recording industry, good and bad. The technology used for radio led to electrical recordings. However, when RCA bought Victor in 1929, their attitudes combined with the Great Depression nearly ruined the recording industry.
 
Back
Top Bottom