• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

amp from tube radio

tomslyk2002

tomslyk
I just purchased a Arvin table top radio, am/fm stereo. It's probably about 1963-64. The tuning section is tube (single), the amp section is tube (eight total). I was looking at a earlier post and saw pics from an Arvin console. The amp section looks identical. The radio's in good shape and seems to work as it should. My question. How much power can I expect from it? Would it be suitable for use as a stand alone amp (will need to add a isolation x-former). I want to drive a TT, Tuner, through a pair of large base reflex cabs with magnavox 12's and horn tweeters (from a maggie console). Or, am i just wasting my time?
 

Attachments

  • 042001_1352[00].jpg
    042001_1352[00].jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 042001_1352[01].jpg
    042001_1352[01].jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 042001_1352[02].jpg
    042001_1352[02].jpg
    65 KB · Views: 44
  • 042001_1353[00].jpg
    042001_1353[00].jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 042001_1353[03].jpg
    042001_1353[03].jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 60
Register to hide this ad
It a cute little radio. It looks like it's single-ended push-pull (I see 2 little OP transformers over on the far right outside the chassis where the OP tubes are), so I wouldn't expect much power. To get a better idea, can you let us know what the output tubes are in this?

Yes, an isolation transformer would be advisable or be sure to keep it double isolated.
 
It a cute little radio. It looks like it's single-ended push-pull (I see 2 little OP transformers over on the far right outside the chassis where the OP tubes are), so I wouldn't expect much power. To get a better idea, can you let us know what the output tubes are in this?

Yes, an isolation transformer would be advisable or be sure to keep it double isolated.

It's not "single-ended push-pull", there are two SE amps in your radio, it's stereo receiver ...
 
It's not "single-ended push-pull", there are two SE amps in your radio, it's stereo receiver ...
Ha, I guess I had a Doh moment. I meant to say it's single-ended stereo, not push-pull. Thanks for the correction.
 
Arvin just had their name stamped on the tubes, Arvin didn't make tubes to the best of my knowledge.

Caution as others said, with the 50-series tube, this likely is a hot chassis.
 
50C5 is quite common in these types; probably around ~2W/channel.
 
that's pretty close to the output I was expecting. I have a couple of pair of pretty efficient speakers. Looks like this might be a project.
 
If you can find a model number on it somewhere you might be able to get the schematic online.
 
Why not just use it as-is, as an AM DX rig or a kitchen radio? It looks like a nice radio and a conversation piece. With a decent longwire antenna I'm sure it would perform quite well! I get tons of comments on my Grundig Majestic 1088 (as seen in my avatar)

Happy listening!
 
50 HK6 is rated 1.9 watts
50C5 is rated 1.9 watts

so yeah, 2wpc. I honestly wouldn't adopt this one as a stand-alone amp. Not only is it not powerful, its also dangerous. I also wouldn't expect such a unit to have particularly good transformers. You'd do better with something that isn't inclined to light up your day if you plug something into it.
 
I'd keep it together....correct me if I'm worng, but Radio amps don't make for good hi-fi amps, do they?

Funny, I think I saw a similar radio on CL this week and almost bought it myself. Cool little unit!
 
OP did say that they were planning on using an isolation transformer. I don't see any harm in trying it. Can always upgrade output trannies latter if desired. Should be able to recap and do a light refurbishment enough to try it without messing up a possible refurb as is I think.

mike
 
Hi.im new...im looking for an old tube amp that can be used newer speakers.an amp built in the 40s or 50s...with about 30 to 40 watts...stereo of course...iv seen big dollar ones but dont have the cash...anything i can get out of older Maggies or such...ill be putting a newer 80s turntable and CD player threw it...im looking for a full bodied sound...warm sound...no muddie base...thanks bubbag
 
I have an Arvin stereo radio quite similar to this one, and it sounds like a reasonably decent table radio. But it won't hold a candle against a Scott, Dynaco, McIntosh or other such amp you see often in this forum.

Bubbag, 30 to 40 watts is a big tube amp. Yes, watts is watts, but tube amps will distort much more gracefully than SS amps do. So we usually can get away with lower wattage tube amps for the same music experience.
 
With regard to Radioboys post. Would this amp have the potential to be a decent stand alone? If not I'm not wanting to destroy it just for explorations sake. I don't need a lot of power. I have some SS receivers that will shake the walls. I have a couple of console amps to play with. One is from a Sears/Silvertone (also stereo) but it needs some repair. The other is in a 53' Magnavox Symphonette Phono only. The latter is in really good condition as a piece of furniture, it's probably safe. I think the Silvertone is probably about 5w (2-7025's 2-6BQ5's).
 
Back
Top Bottom