• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amp/Speaker Selector switch recommendation to split use of speaker between Tube Amp/SS receiver

Alfmonster

Active Member
Hi! Does anyone have a recommendation for an amp/speaker selector?

I would like to safely split the use of my Falcon LS3/5a 15ohm between a MC225/MX110z and a MAC4100.

I’m new to the selector world and so any help would be greatly appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
This is oft discussed. Some tube amplifiers can be damaged by not having a load connected to them - such as when having the 4100 playing through the switcher and the 225 on. Some time ago, right here on AK, we were having a discussion as this one with another member when @ron-c chimed in to advise us that this was not a problem for McIntosh amplifiers. That was a sigh of relief for me as I did exactly what you propose to do with a 240 / 7270.

Still, I've slept since then. I'd feel alot better if Ron would comment further. Then, maybe we could get MG to archive his answer in the Mc technology thread.
 
This is oft discussed. Some tube amplifiers can be damaged by not having a load connected to them - such as when having the 4100 playing through the switcher and the 225 on. Some time ago, right here on AK, we were having a discussion as this one with another member when @ron-c chimed in to advise us that this was not a problem for McIntosh amplifiers. That was a sigh of relief for me as I did exactly what you propose to do with a 240 / 7270.

Still, I've slept since then. I'd feel alot better if Ron would comment further. Then, maybe we could get MG to archive his answer in the Mc technology thread.

Thanks for this reply - I was about to pick up an amp/speaker selector but I got a little confused by the tube / ss issue you wrote of. And Additionally, for the 15ohm speaker - do I connect the the speaker wire to 15ohm tap on the 225?

Did you end up getting a selector switch?
 
Thanks for this reply - I was about to pick up an amp/speaker selector but I got a little confused by the tube / ss issue you wrote of. And Additionally, for the 15ohm speaker - do I connect the the speaker wire to 15ohm tap on the 225?

Did you end up getting a selector switch?
I made one 20+ years ago with 30A SPDT relays. Used it briefly for A/B/X comparisons between amps before realizing that ignorance can in fact be bliss. Mothballed it. Still sits in my desk drawer.
 
This is oft discussed. Some tube amplifiers can be damaged by not having a load connected to them - such as when having the 4100 playing through the switcher and the 225 on. Some time ago, right here on AK, we were having a discussion as this one with another member when @ron-c chimed in to advise us that this was not a problem for McIntosh amplifiers. That was a sigh of relief for me as I did exactly what you propose to do with a 240 / 7270.

Still, I've slept since then. I'd feel alot better if Ron would comment further. Then, maybe we could get MG to archive his answer in the Mc technology thread.

If a Mc Tube amp is on without a load no problem. If you are driving it with a full range signal as in bi-amping into a speaker's passive crossover the amp will survive BUT it will not be happy and the tubes will have a shortened life. Tube amps do not see passive speaker crossovers like a transistor map so the best solution is to have an electronic crossover in front of the tube amp to limit the frequency response closer to that of the speaker's passive crossover.
Thanks,
Ron-C
 
If a Mc Tube amp is on without a load no problem. If you are driving it with a full range signal as in bi-amping into a speaker's passive crossover the amp will survive BUT it will not be happy and the tubes will have a shortened life. Tube amps do not see passive speaker crossovers like a transistor map so the best solution is to have an electronic crossover in front of the tube amp to limit the frequency response closer to that of the speaker's passive crossover.
Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron...Does this also apply to the non-unity coupled tube amplifiers such as the MAC1500 and MA230?
 
FWIW, here`s what I did for a similar 2 stereo`s to one set of speakers system(1 tube, & 1 SS) requirement :
I have a Mc. original C22 preamp, currently connected(driving) my 2 MC 30`s for occasional use when I desire a total tube equipment driving my Sunroom`s DQ 10 speakers..

But my all day music daily driver for the Sunroom`s DQ 10`s is my SS Mc. C33 preamp driving my Mc. MC 2205 SS power amp system..

Being partially paralyzed, and somewhat lazy, when the mood for the Mc. tube experience would strike me, I wished it to be easy peasy to flip reliably, & safely over to the tube Mc. system without playing with signal inter connects & speaker wire connections.

What I did was purchase (4) 120v coil STDP 10 amp contact rated relays with 3 sets of contacts to allow me to parallel all 3 sets of contacts for a total 30 amp contact rating(yeah I know, over kill !) so that each +/- amps speaker output connections had their own relay maintaining isolation as I didn`t feel combining the 2 different amps negative together was good, or safe engineering to save on purchasing the additional negative wire speaker switching relays.

All (4) of the 120v very low milliamp current draw relay coils were all paralleled together and connected to a 120v power cord, in which I simply plugged into one of the C22`s power switch switched AC back panel 120v outlets..

The relays were simply wired up for the speakers connected to the relay common contactor, and the SS amp output was connected to the NC set of relay contacts(non-energized), and the tube amps output connection were made to the NO relay contacts, and now, and since setting this up over 20 yrs. ago, I make sure that the C22`s volume is turned all the way down before I flip on it`s power switch..
When those, over rated for the task at hand, all those "power contactors" abruptly snap closed , I`m sure to start hearing some good Mc. tube goodness starting in about 30 s. :music:
BTW, before I forget, the MC30`s(or any of my other swapped in) tube amps) have their AC power provided by a smart switched power outlet strip, also triggered by another the C22`s switched outlet, so their never powered up unless the C22`s power switch is engaged..

I only chose to configure this power switch triggered setup not to rapidly A/B flip back & forth between the two different systems, just a very reliable simple system switch over.
There are other reed type relays in another box for routing the 2 different pre-amp`s L/R output/power amp inputs as I have to switch back and forth a a powered Velodyne subwoofer`s line level crossover in & outputs as well, because the DQ 10`s weak bottom octave needs a little help, IMHO.

Anyway like I said earlier, this setup/configuration has been installed and working perfectly for over 20 yrs.

Ciao.
 
FWIW, here`s what I did for a similar 2 stereo`s to one set of speakers system(1 tube, & 1 SS) requirement :
I have a Mc. original C22 preamp, currently connected(driving) my 2 MC 30`s for occasional use when I desire a total tube equipment driving my Sunroom`s DQ 10 speakers..

But my all day music daily driver for the Sunroom`s DQ 10`s is my SS Mc. C33 preamp driving my Mc. MC 2205 SS power amp system..

Being partially paralyzed, and somewhat lazy, when the mood for the Mc. tube experience would strike me, I wished it to be easy peasy to flip reliably, & safely over to the tube Mc. system without playing with signal inter connects & speaker wire connections.

What I did was purchase (4) 120v coil STDP 10 amp contact rated relays with 3 sets of contacts to allow me to parallel all 3 sets of contacts for a total 30 amp contact rating(yeah I know, over kill !) so that each +/- amps speaker output connections had their own relay maintaining isolation as I didn`t feel combining the 2 different amps negative together was good, or safe engineering to save on purchasing the additional negative wire speaker switching relays.

All (4) of the 120v very low milliamp current draw relay coils were all paralleled together and connected to a 120v power cord, in which I simply plugged into one of the C22`s power switch switched AC back panel 120v outlets..

The relays were simply wired up for the speakers connected to the relay common contactor, and the SS amp output was connected to the NC set of relay contacts(non-energized), and the tube amps output connection were made to the NO relay contacts, and now, and since setting this up over 20 yrs. ago, I make sure that the C22`s volume is turned all the way down before I flip on it`s power switch..
When those, over rated for the task at hand, all those "power contactors" abruptly snap closed , I`m sure to start hearing some good Mc. tube goodness starting in about 30 s. :music:
BTW, before I forget, the MC30`s(or any of my other swapped in) tube amps) have their AC power provided by a smart switched power outlet strip, also triggered by another the C22`s switched outlet, so their never powered up unless the C22`s power switch is engaged..

I only chose to configure this power switch triggered setup not to rapidly A/B flip back & forth between the two different systems, just a very reliable simple system switch over.
There are other reed type relays in another box for routing the 2 different pre-amp`s L/R output/power amp inputs as I have to switch back and forth a a powered Velodyne subwoofer`s line level crossover in & outputs as well, because the DQ 10`s weak bottom octave needs a little help, IMHO.

Anyway like I said earlier, this setup/configuration has been installed and working perfectly for over 20 yrs.

Ciao.

That’s amazing! You made this switch? Could you post a picture of it?
 
That’s amazing! You made this switch? Could you post a picture of it?

Sorry, no pictures available Alfmonster, as I didn`t have a digital camera 20 yr. ago, and the relays are octal plug in types that simply plug into barrier type screw connection board mounted sockets, that since the speaker/amp switching setup has been perfectly reliable for these 2 past decades the small plywood board mounted relays reside on the floor behind around 50 l2" laser discs in an heavy lower left album storage cube below my Mc. tube stereo stack that controls the switch over relay setup.

IMG_0174.JPG
 
Sorry, no pictures available Alfmonster, as I didn`t have a digital camera 20 yr. ago, and the relays are octal plug in types that simply plug into barrier type screw connection board mounted sockets, that since the speaker/amp switching setup has been perfectly reliable for these 2 past decades the small plywood board mounted relays reside on the floor behind around 50 l2" laser discs in an heavy lower left album storage cube below my Mc. tube stereo stack that controls the switch over relay setup.

View attachment 1961549

That’s wild! Ah yes - 20 years I guess everyone was a lot more selective with what they took pictures of as the film would then have to be processed and printed. Sometimes I forget that and take the phone camera for granted as it has normalized itself into my life in a way I never thought a camera could. So much nice equipment thank you for sharing!! That c22!
 
Back
Top Bottom