• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Amp switch/selector with Polk Audio SDA-1Cs?

NW1

Active Member
I have a Hafler DH-200 Amp and a Kenwood KA-V7000 A/V Integrated Amp. the Kenwood Amp has been powering the SDA-1Cs without issue for well over 25 years. After I finish rebuilding the Hafler, I'd like to A/B/Y it with the SDA-1Cs. Some time ago, I picked up this for that purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Speakers-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0796KGVXT (cannot locate a manufacturer's website). It enables switching between two amplifier sources to drive one pair of speakers,

The SDA speakers require a "common ground". I'm not 100% clear on what that is but I am curious as to what that entails with regard to the switch and if it is still a viable solution.

Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Hafler DH-200 Amp and a Kenwood KA-V7000 A/V Integrated Amp. the Kenwood Amp has been powering the SDA-1Cs without issue for well over 25 years. After I finish rebuilding the Hafler, I'd like to A/B/Y it with the SDA-1Cs. Some time ago, I picked up this for that purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/Amplifier-Receiver-Speakers-Selector-Switcher/dp/B0796KGVXT (cannot locate a manufacturer's website). It enables switching between two amplifier sources to drive one pair of speakers,

The SDA speakers require a "common ground". I'm not 100% clear on what that is but I am curious as to what that entails with regard to the switch and if it is still a viable solution.

Thanks!
That selector switches both plus and minus so it works with both bridged and common ground amps. If the Polks require a common ground amp, you could use a cheaper selector that only switches plus, but the one you linked is preferable IMO. I'm pretty sure the Hafler is a common ground amp. I don't know about the Kenwood.

Level matching could be an issue. Does the Kenny have preout/main in connections? What will the preamp be for the Hafler?
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: NW1
Should be good for comparisons whenever you have the levels matched. If the equalizer has an IN/OUT switch I imagine you'll leave it switched out for comparisons? You might try:

Y-connectors on the EQ output.
One side returns to the Kenny MAIN IN.
The other side goes to a Hafler DH-101 input.
Set the 101 volume so the sound levels match when switching between amps.
The Kenny would be the "master" volume control.

If you don't "mix" the systems like this you'd need to rematch levels whenever comparing, but you'd get a better idea how they stack up against each other.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NW1
Back
Top Bottom