• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amplifier function connections

Roque75

New Member
Hi everybody!


I’m having some issues with my amplifier function selectors and I’m wondering if someone could help me with this.


I need to understand if the function selector job is to connect the rca cable to the source cable.


My problem is that some of my amplifier selector buttons are broken, so they are not making contact on the circuit board when pushed.

So I want to use a secondary knob that receives the rca cables and then connects to the existent board…


Is this possible to arrange?


I’m having some trouble finding replacement parts so I want to use a temporary fix.


Best regards
 
Register to hide this ad
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wid_5TkzMryAhVNaM0KHcSVD9IQwg96BAgBEEE&adurl=
https://rolls.com/product/SS412


If you have at least one input you can select, connect a box like this to it, and then connect your sources to the box.

Will not work for phono input, unless you have a phono preamp between the box and the TT (or a turntable with a built in phono amp).

There are many similar RCA connector boxes available, for both more and less cost. I am not recommending any specific brand or model...just posted the above as an example.
 
Last edited:
I forgot to mention that. It’s a Sony ta-1150.

The function buttons are soldered to the board and I need some new buttons.

But I want to use a temporary knob while I’m looking for some parts
 
https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wid_5TkzMryAhVNaM0KHcSVD9IQwg96BAgBEEE&adurl=

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...wid_5TkzMryAhVNaM0KHcSVD9IQwg96BAgBEEE&adurl=

If you have at least one input you can select, connect a box like one of the above to it, and then connect your sources to the box.

Will not work for phono input, unless you have a phono preamp between the box and the TT (or a turntable with a built in phono amp).

I'm sure there are other similar RCA connector boxes available, for both more and less cost.


I’m not thinking to buy these kind of boxes because later I will try to fix the original board.
For now I just want to connect a knob to have all functions available
 
So there seems to be 7 input selection buttons on that unit - are you saying you want to wire in a rotating selector switch to temporarily replace the row of seven switches?
 
Are they broken or just dirty?

If one input works, or if just the tape monitor works, use that and an external source selector box.

Amazon.com: Panlong 4-Way AV Switch RCA Switcher 4 in 1 Out Composite Video L/R Audio Selector Box for DVD STB Game Consoles : Electronics

as a random example. Just ignore the video jack. I wouldn't modify the amplifier internally if you plan to fix it. Just put this outside the amp and use it until you can get the parts you need.


Deja vu all over again.
 
So there seems to be 7 input selection buttons on that unit - are you saying you want to wire in a rotating selector switch to temporarily replace the row of seven switches?

Yes. That’s exactly what I want. not sure if it’s possible but that’s it
 
Yes. That’s exactly what I want. not sure if it’s possible but that’s it

Where would you mount this switch? Maybe in a small metal box?

And of course the switch would need to be connected to the inputs...so you'll need wiring between the switch and each input.

Wait...it sounds like I'm describing a selector box. Nevermind.
 
I understand that the box is the easy solution!
But it’s not something that I want to buy to use only temporarily…

I prefer to do with a rotating selector and I will also learn how to do it
 
I understand that the box is the easy solution!
But it’s not something that I want to buy to use only temporarily…

I prefer to do with a rotating selector and I will also learn how to do it

Whether you buy or build, it will be temporary..
 
Cobbling in something else seems like a terrible idea. The switch box is what you need and they can be found for cheap on the Bay.
 
I mean...you clearly just need a switch box. Why are you so insistent on overcomplicating it? They literally build the device you require.
 
Last edited:
I understand that the box is the easy solution!
But it’s not something that I want to buy to use only temporarily…

I prefer to do with a rotating selector and I will also learn how to do it

This will be very complicated, requiring you to reroute small signal wiring, and require you to either hack up the front of your receiver or place it somewhere else less conspicuous. Your best bet is to do what others have suggested - use an external switcher.

In either case - if you decide to go the rotary switch route, be sure to post your progress - I'm sure many of us will be interested. :thumbsup:
 
Here's an idea...if you want to build something, build your own selector box using a rotary switch. It will cost more than just buying one, but you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and you learn how to wire such a switch
 
Here's an idea...if you want to build something, build your own selector box using a rotary switch. It will cost more than just buying one, but you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself, and you learn how to wire such a switch
And this would be a whole lot easier than ripping into an amplifier for a "temporary solution".
 
if you really want to learn to deal with rotary switches, I'd still do it externally. Messing around inside the amplifier is extra work and makes a future repair back to stock a whole lot more difficult.
 
Back
Top Bottom