• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amplifier selection to go with my Elacs

Galloway840

New Member
So,

I have some Gen 1 Elac UniFi UB5 bookshelf speakers (4 Ohm) purchased back in 2016 or so. I drove them with a Yamaha R-N602 receiver and was quite happy with the overall performance.

Fast forward, and I've finally reinvigorated the Georgia Tech Dr. W. Marshall Leach speakers that I built in 1993 (Audio Lab Loudspeaker Plans) (8 Ohm). I got the Peerless mids refoamed, and since I was already inside, I decided to fully replace & upgrade the crossovers with some modern equipment from EZeescrossovers. I disconnected the Elacs from the Yamaha, wired up the Leaches and have been, overall, quite satisfied with the sound. Those 10" Eminence woofers give a lot more bass than the Elac bookshelf units.

The Yamaha R-N602 and Leach speakers are upstairs in the carpeted "listening room". And now I have the Elacs to put to use so I'm planning to move them to the main-floor living area (hardwood, open space including open kitchen area). We normally listen to a portable JBL Flip 5 here (so anything I do will be an improvement). We don't want a big system here, even though it's a pretty large area.

In this main-floor area, we only need an amplifer source for the Elacs to play Spotify Connect (through house WIFI), no phono, CD, etc.

Here's where I'm looking for input.

1) Get a WiiM Amp Ultra ($550), or something equivalent, connect to the Elacs and call it a day?

2) Get another Yamaha Receiver (the R-N600A ($800) seems to be the modern replacement for the R-N602 I already have) for the Elacs?

3) Get a WiiM steaming pre-amp, connect it to a better amplifier, like a Yamaha A-S501 ($650), S701 ($950) or S801 ($1,100) for the Elacs?

The main question(s) for me are, "Are the Elac UniFi UB5's worth going the extra expense beyond the WiiM Amp Ultra?"

4) The other main avenue I could pursue would be to move the Yamaha R-N602 I already own down to the mainfloor to power the Elacs, and get an upgraded amp to drive the Leaches.

An amplifier upstairs would need to replicate the R-N602 capabilities (phono, FM radio, Spotify Connect, bluetooth, CD, Cassette), so I'be be inclined to go with a Yamaha R-N800A ($1,400).

You can see I'm already down the WiiM and Yamaha products avenue, so alternate brand suggestions will probably leave me in analysis/paralysis mode. Although I'm pretty open on the WiiM, less so on the Yamaha as I have decades of familiarity with them.

What thoughts & opinions do you have to help me decide?

Thanks, Richard
 
Register to hide this ad
I might suggest that rather than using a Wiim amp, to use a Wiim streaming device and an amp with better low current delivery. The UB5s like current.

I have been playing with the 3e A5 (based on the 3251) and it has noticeably better bass than other 3255 amps I have used. I am sure that the A7, which is their 3255 model, would be the same. They are in PBTL mode, which makes them stable to 2 ohms.

Yes, the UB5s are worth it! Great speakers.
 
I might suggest that rather than using a Wiim amp, to use a Wiim streaming device and an amp with better low current delivery. The UB5s like current.

I have been playing with the 3e A5 (based on the 3251) and it has noticeably better bass than other 3255 amps I have used. I am sure that the A7, which is their 3255 model, would be the same. They are in PBTL mode, which makes them stable to 2 ohms.

Yes, the UB5s are worth it! Great speakers.
Thanks for the input, Hammett.

Interesting suggestion. I hadn't heard of e3 audio, but spent a few minutes looking into the A5 (and other models). It does seem it would better power the low frequencies of the woofers.

Various AI tools suggested pairing the Elacs with a subwoofer and cutting the signal to the Elacs around 80db to relieve the load on the amp a little.

So many options when it comes to audio!
 
I have a neighbor that has a WiiM amp (not sure if it's the pro or not) and a pair of floor standing Elac's (don't know the model). To be honest, I was not at all impressed with the sound, and suspect the issue is with the amp. I really wanted to bring my Fosi V3 over to see if that was the case, but unfortunately, the Wiim does not have line out jacks.

I don't have a wifi setup, but do use the Fosi (with a tube pre) to drive a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2 speakers. It does a fine job.

I'd suggest getting either the WiiM of Fosi streaming preamp, and either the above mentioned e3, or the Fosi V3 stereo/Fosi V3 dual mono amps.

Here's a good thread re the Fosi. It also mentions other class D amps. https://audiokarma.org/forums/threads/review-of-fosi-audio-v3-stereo-amplifier.1037770/
 
I have a neighbor that has a WiiM amp (not sure if it's the pro or not) and a pair of floor standing Elac's (don't know the model). To be honest, I was not at all impressed with the sound, and suspect the issue is with the amp. I really wanted to bring my Fosi V3 over to see if that was the case, but unfortunately, the Wiim does not have line out jacks.

I don't have a wifi setup, but do use the Fosi (with a tube pre) to drive a pair of Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2 speakers. It does a fine job.

I'd suggest getting either the WiiM of Fosi streaming preamp, and either the above mentioned e3, or the Fosi V3 stereo/Fosi V3 dual mono amps.

Here's a good thread re the Fosi. It also mentions other class D amps. https://audiokarma.org/forums/threads/review-of-fosi-audio-v3-stereo-amplifier.1037770/
Thanks, Rick.
 
I have no experience with the Wiim amps, but lots with their streamers. Having a separate streamer and amp will give you more flexibility at the cost of convenience and compactness.

To me, it is worth it. The class D amps usually sound best with a preamp and having a separate streamer and amp gives you that flexibility as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom