• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Amps and Receivers With Proprietary Parts

jim249

Active Member
I tried to find a thread for just amps and receivers with proprietary parts no longer available. As we all know buying one and finding out new parts are needed but can not be found is a let down. The one that comes to mind is the Kenwood KR-9600 receiver with the amp modules. Please add to the list any that you know of.
 
Register to hide this ad
Citation XX amp "hybrid module".
Lack of one turns a former $10,000 msrp state of the art amp into an expensive boat anchor.

Bob

Kinda surprised that it uses modules... I know they have a hefty output stage, I'm guessing it's some driver ic
 
Citation XX amp "hybrid module".
Lack of one turns a former $10,000 msrp state of the art amp into an expensive boat anchor.

Bob
Hey Bob. I had a conversation about that module over at DIY. It seems it can be reverse engineered? I thought I saw a schematic for it somewhere. I wonder how many of them are apparent boat anchors.
 
I presume we're limiting this to electronic parts (not McIntosh faceplates, Pioneer tuning knobs, etc.?).

Pioneer SX-1980 output "Power Packs" / modules

McIntosh 5205 Gain Pots (can be repaired)
 
Wow , that's good to know!
I'll check it out as I've had one here now.
The module is only 2"x2"X1".
It's a "predriver" for the main amp boards.
Part of designer Matti Otalla's proprietary design that makes the XX so special.
Uses SMD's on a multilayer circuit board with several unobtainable IC's.
Has + and - 90vdc supplies to it.
This one suffered a meltdown when the outboard regulated power supplies failed.
I had a rebuild thread on another XX I did several years ago but I think all the pics got lost with the server switchover.
If there's any interest I can dig them up again.

Bob
 
I presume we're limiting this to electronic parts (not McIntosh faceplates, Pioneer tuning knobs, etc.?).

Pioneer SX-1980 output "Power Packs" / modules

McIntosh 5205 Gain Pots (can be repaired)

That's what I'm going to assume as well seeing as just about everything is going to have various switches, pots , faceplates, buttons and whatnot that is now NLA.

Electronic part wise, VFET replacements for Sony and Yamaha amps are usually sourced from another half blown up amp if you can find one. Some other FETs are hard to find these days as well. The super fast outputs that are in some Sansui gear are also NLA for years and years. The voltage amps in some Yamaha receivers are long since gone NLA. I'm sure I'm missing a lot of things.
 
Pioneer used some outputs in either the SX-1080 or SX-1280. Maybe the SX-980. Don't remember which. The SX-1980 used the A version. Not power packs but four pin transistors.

Rob
 
Pioneer used some outputs in either the SX-1080 or SX-1280. Maybe the SX-980. Don't remember which. The SX-1980 used the A version. Not power packs but four pin transistors.

Rob

Thanks for the clarification. My brother's (original owner) SX-1980 blew an output/channel, destroyed one of his ALTEC speakers (caught fire), spent a year on a bench and was eventually sold for parts. Sad ending for such a phenomenal receiver (and speaker).
 
Pioneer used some outputs in either the SX-1080 or SX-1280. Maybe the SX-980. Don't remember which. The SX-1980 used the A version. Not power packs but four pin transistors.

Rob

980, 1280 and 1980 used the same outputs. 1080 did not, I know I have owned all (not the 12 and 19).
Thanks.
Srinath.
 
I don't think I would call the Crown parts proprietary more like obsolete and NLA. The UA739/749 opamp comes to mind. Also there are some NLA transistors but those can be subbed.

Craig
 
980, 1280 and 1980 used the same outputs. 1080 did not, I know I have owned all (not the 12 and 19).
Thanks.
Srinath.

The SX-1980 uses the same style but the A version. Different ratings, barely. I have some of the non As.

Thanks for clarifying the models that use them.

Rob
 
Last edited:
I think that you are mixing up proprietary vs obsolete.
For example, the Fujitsu bjts used in Pioneer SX-x80 series are not proprietary, anyone could buy them from Fujitsu when they were in production.
You could say that the Pioneer PAxxxx IC's are proprietary as they were made specifically for Pioneer for use in their products only. In other words they were not commercially available. That is why we can not find a data sheet for them nor do we know who even fab'd them.
My brother's (original owner) SX-1980 blew an output/channel, destroyed one of his ALTEC speakers (caught fire), spent a year on a bench and was eventually sold for parts.
That is too bad, if you read threads on this subject, others have managed to use substitute parts that are electrically, functionally equivalent but not fit or form equivalent.
 
Ihat is too bad, if you read threads on this subject, others have managed to use substitute parts that are electrically, functionally equivalent but not fit or form equivalent.

As it went , he has plenty of other and better gear so he pulled an MC7270 from the closet to replace it, has owned all of it since new, and this just wasn't worth the trouble to him. It sat in a service center for around a year (or more) after failing, the tech couldn't repair it (probably only looking for original parts), so he found someone to buy it for $1,200 as-is with box and manuals, probably pretty good 3-4 years ago.
 
What definition of proprietary is in play here? Proprietary is ownership of property and says nothing about who designed or made the item. If the OP is looking for manufacturers who made everything, i.e. did not outsource, you would have to look at the Japanese conglomerates such as Toshiba, Hitachi, and Panasonic. To my knowledge, Hitachi was the only thoroughbred maker who did not outsource. An example would be the SR-2004. Toshiba made output transistors and Panasonic makes capacitors. Not sure if they outsourced other items like transformers.
 
What definition of proprietary is in play here?
Like I said, parts that were not commercially available, like specialized IC's, not jelly-bean components like resistors, ecaps.
To my knowledge, Hitachi was the only thoroughbred maker who did not outsource. An example would be the SR-2004.
If I looked in a SR-2004 ( took a quick look at the parts list) I am sure I could come up with a few comps not mfg by Hitachi. Like the pots/switches, probably either Noble or Alps. Can almost be certain that the RF/IF coils/transformers were TOKO. I see SAW filters in the IF, Murata were the only ones that I know that made 10.7MHz SAW IF filters. I see Q4 on FE001, a Toshiba IC (TA7301) as the FM LO :-) Near impossible for one mfg to make all the necessary parts.
At the time we are talking about, there were really not that many of semi mfgs in Japan, here are the ones that come to mind, NEC, Hitachi, Sony, Sanyo, Toshiba, Sanken, Fujitsu, Matsushita(Panasonic), Mitsubishi. These days there are actually less as many have been shutdown, bought out or merged such as Onsemi bought out Sanyo semi a few years back. Onsemi was once Motorola semi.
 
Last edited:
Regardless of how Jim / OP worded his title, in his post he appears to be looking for a list of receivers which have parts for which replacement parts are no longer available. Proprietary might not have been what he meant. His post and the example in it indicate this intention to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom