• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Angle of the Dangle Khorns vs LaScala's

LotusFool

Well-Known Member
Now that I have I have bought the Khorns, and will pick them up next week, I have another question for you Klipsch Experts. My listening room is 12' wide (speaker wall) x 16' long, with my listening position 14" away from the LaScala's. I have the LaScala's toed in a small bit, such that strings tapped to the center of each speaker would converge about 3' behind my head when listening. This is BTW how I aimed the speakers (using string).

Now when I replace the LaScala's with the Khorns, the Khorns being in each corner will converge about 9 ' in front of the Khorns, which will be about 5' in front of my listening position.

I could see this as a big change in the sound stage. Perhaps smaller. And it's not as though I could turn the Khorns to make them converge further away, as they must be placed into the corner of the room, and so the geometry of the room will dictate where the speakers converge.

I'm not really worried about it, I know these Khorns will please me forever, but it does make me think, will I have to pull up my couch to within 6' of the Khorns ???
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm not really worried about it, I know these Khorns will please me forever, but it does make me think, will I have to pull up my couch to within 6' of the Khorns ???

Heh heh heh...you only think forever...:scratch2:

Regarding everything else...if I understand you correctly, your focal point will be in front of where you currently have it.

When I had my Khorns, I had the tops disconnected from the bottoms and was able to angle the top a little bit so I could direct them (to a degree) more how I wanted.

I'd suggest trying various things. Some will suggest that you put them on the LONG wall, not the short wall. Sometimes people can do this and sometimes they can't (I can't).

You'll end up figuring out what you like.

I've been told by some that they think you should have the focus point in front of you, others have said they want the focus point behind them and I know one guy who's taken laser pointers to have the middle of his head as he sits in his chair, be the focal point.

I don't pretend to know what is right. Play around. Just make sure that the bass bin at least, is as snug to the wall as you can make it.

I know some people have gone out and bought the 1/2" (or was it 3/4") pipe foam and used this foam as a gasket on the edges that would be near the wall. This will help seal up the bass bin to the wall, or is supposed to.

Good luck & keep us informed. Also, you might get more eyeballs on your questions in the Klipsch forum since (I'd speculate) there are a lot more nuts that hang out there than here.

:thmbsp:
 
in my experience, khorns sound fine when you sit further back from the focal point, but having the focal point be the center of your head is akin to having God bring you True Sound. The universe opens up, flowers bloom and a purity of spirit invades you.

YMMV.
 
Another thing I noticed... and think I finally understand to a degree... My Khorns sounded better (more cohesive) when I was maybe 30' away from them. I stumbled onto this quite accidently as I was walking down the stairs one day, turned the corner and was directly in the firing path of my left speaker (right speaker hidden by wall).

Mind you, I was using some of Al Klappenbergers extreme slope networks. As I walked into the room containing the Khorns, though they sounded good, they didn't have the cohesive wall of sound that they had at say, 30'.

Later, I swapped KHorns out for the Jubilees which are 2 way and also have time alignment.

One of the first things I did was go to that spot by the stairs to hear how much better they would sound in that location.... I was disappointed...

Truth be told, they sound the same 10' away as they do 30' away and this is CLEARLY not what I had happening with the Khorns.

This is when the lightbulb in my head, finally went off and I began to actually understand some of the benefits of going 2-way over 3-way as well as some of the benefits of using time delay to align the seperate drivers.

Now that I finally get this... I think for "in room" listening, a more shallow sloped network might have melded the sound together "faster" and therefore, sooner and closer to the speakers. I think by using Al's ES networks, it took a bit more time for the sound to become a single bubble.

Since I tend to listen out of the room (loud levels) while working downstairs, upstairs or even outside, the ES networks worked fine for me.

I think if I was a more "sit in the sweet spot" and be a critical listener, the distance from my ears to the speakers might have been a lot more important.

I say this in case you find yours sounding better 15' away than you do at your listening position. I would speculate that you could fix that to a degree, by altering what crossover you are using.
 
My room is 20'x27' and I had to create false corners due to windows near the corners. The good news, is that I was able to toe in my entire Khorn and aim the them at my seating location. I then fine tuned the soundstage until I got it just where I like it for critical listening. This is one big advantage of a false corner.
 
Back
Top Bottom