• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Angstrom Model 200 Value

Nightwisher

Farer In The Goldilocks Zone
Any idea what an Angstrom Model 200 preamp would be worth these days in working condition? (Bottom unit) I recently picked one up and I plan on keeping it because it might be the nicest preamp I have, but I can't find any previously sold listings recently to reference. Several years ago (2007 and 2013) I see a couple listings, which may or may not be conclusive. I know retail was around $3500 back in 1995. There's a 205 listed (the top unit), so I know about what that is worth.

By the way, I have the original box and manual too for both.

20190119_104300.jpg
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I have just bought an Angstrom 200/205 combo. Currently using the Angstrom 200 as a dac - hooked up to a modified Philips cd 304 MK2 player. The Angstrom 200 is a VERY good dac. I have compared the Angstrom 200/Philips cd to my Schiit Gumby/SOtM-sMS 200. Not at all a fair competition but to my surprise it is a very close race. Gumby/SoTM sounds a little sweeter and more detailed. The soundstage of the Angstrom 200/Philips cd is however wider and the feeling of being present in the same room as the musicians is better. Next step will by a Schiit Eitr so I can try SOtM with the Angstrom.

I did´nt get a manual so Nightwisher I would very much like a copy of yours

Peter, Denmark
 
A small update: Playing "Infected Mushroom - Converting vegetarians 2". The Angstrom 200/Philips has more bass-punch and actually made one of my windows "play" along :thumbsup:. I live in an old house with removable windows.
 
Well I had to do it - otherwise would not be fair: Gumby vs Angstrom 200 using the Philips Cd 304 mk2 as source has a clear winner: Gumby! My Philips cd 304 mk2 has been modified with a new NOS-dac board. I dont like the sound of that NOS dac but the coax-spdif out is clearly very good.

I still think the Angstrom is very good. Gumby is just better. Not surprising when you think it through.

BUT I am surprised that SOtM sMS 200/Gen. 5 USB is beaten by the Philips CD player. Maybe I need to check the setup of the SOtM/modem etc.
 
Last edited:
Well I had to do it - otherwise would not be fair: Gumby vs Angstrom 200 using the Philips Cd 304 mk2 as source has a clear winner: Gumby! My Philips cd 304 mk2 has been modified with a new NOS-dac board. I dont like the sound of that NOS dac but the coax-spdif out is clearly very good.

I still think the Angstrom is very good. Gumby is just better. Not surprising when you think it through.

BUT I am surprised that SOtM sMS 200/Gen. 5 USB is beaten by the Philips CD player. Maybe I need to check the setup of the SOtM/modem etc.
Not too surprising, considering the Angstrom DAC is over 20 years old. But it was a very nice unit in its day, so also not surprising it still holds up well despite that. I'm not sure if you've seen it in your research, but Mike Moffat was the founder of Angstrom and is now one of the 2 founders of Schiit. So, same guy behind them both.
 
Right you are Nightwisher :) Mike Moffat is a digital god in my book :biggrin:. I would like to get my hands on one of his Theta-dacs.

And talking digital audio - that is Redbook (16bit/44 kHz) - what could ever beat a good cd-transport/DAC? Certainly not a flac-file ripped with and played from a laptop through a networkplayer and an USB -spdif converter. It is convenient to have all your music on a HDD but I am beginning to suspect that it is all it is...convenient.
 
Back
Top Bottom